Custom makers, deposits and the fallout from the PR (!!) fiasco

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do. Every Monday-Friday, in the morning. But I usually give myself some time to get over it, and return home in the early evening. But she makes me turn over a large amount of $$$ every 2 weeks to gain reentry into the house.

Does she also threaten you to cut off your knife allowance if you fall short on the $$$ amount? ;)

Back on topic... FWIW, so far I have not seen any indication that the 'fallout' from this is going to result in changes from any of the makers. Most makers have standard policies, and the main reason anyone would likely change from asking a lot up front to being okay with a lesser amount would be because their order backlog started to get far too short.

You know- there's all kinds of other forums out there to hang out on. If you're not happy with how this one is being run, you don't have to take part in it.

Yet why are posts being deleted. Like has been previously said, this is one of the few knife forums out there, and if the moderators are just going to sweep issues under the rug by deleting comments there is a problem. Sure you can argue this is a private forum all you want but the moderators and admins have some duty to their members if a seller advertised on their site is having issues ignoring customers and not fulfilling orders. Kind of sad to see senior members such as your self being unwelcoming to other members just because they point out flaws in the moderation of the forum.

As a person who was moderated in this thread... the posts deleted were off topic and not productive to this discussion.

I have no qualms with this. The mods do a great job here without much thanks.

Yet why are posts being deleted. Like has been previously said, this is one of the few knife forums out there, and if the moderators are just going to sweep issues under the rug by deleting comments there is a problem. Sure you can argue this is a private forum all you want but the moderators and admins have some duty to their members if a seller advertised on their site is having issues ignoring customers and not fulfilling orders. Kind of sad to see senior members such as your self being unwelcoming to other members just because they point out flaws in the moderation of the forum.

You're adding intent/tone to my post. I was merely stating one course of action that said member could take. There was nothing personal implied, or intended.

What's going on with the quotes on this page?! :curse:

What I don't get:

- when I commented in the PR subforum I was basically told to take it somewhere else and that I shouldn't comment because I have no skin in the game. So I started this thread.

- if I'd be posting stuff like "he's the biggest crook on earth, he defrauded his customers, he's a jerk"... Etc. ... Those posts should be deleted!

- my most recent comments were referring to previous posts in this forum. Previous posts that have not been deleted. I was merely reminding people of what had been stated in those.

I would really be interested in learning why those are being deleted. But I guess this post will also be deleted...

What I don't get:

- when I commented in the PR subforum I was basically told to take it somewhere else and that I shouldn't comment because I have no skin in the game. So I started this thread.

- if I'd be posting stuff like "he's the biggest crook on earth, he defrauded his customers, he's a jerk"... Etc. ... Those posts should be deleted!

- my most recent comments were referring to previous posts in this forum. Previous posts that have not been deleted. I was merely reminding people of what had been stated in those.

I would really be interested in learning why those are being deleted. But I guess this post will also be deleted...

The issue is when things are made personal.

I'm not sure about the US, but in some places, it could be considered libel to allow unsubstantiated comments against specific individuals and the forum owners could be legally liable if charges were brought. I have heard of this happening before on other forums.

The important part is that the forum is here to discuss, not flame and not slander; if you keep it general or keep it purely factual then there should be no reason for moderation. With the facts laid out, people can make their own decisions on things, it's not helpful for people to be compiling the information as they see it and then adding spin (intentionally or otherwise) and the mods have an obligation to keep things clean.

I have had my comments deleted in the past, and it did irritate me at the time, but I can see why it was in everyone's best interests for them to be cleaned up as the ones in question (of mine) didn't add anything new of value and were focussed on individuals (which is never good).

You know- there's all kinds of other forums out there to hang out on. If you're not happy with how this one is being run, you don't have to take part in it.

I think the vast majority of us regulars here are happy with how this forum is run, as well as the focus on the topic of high quality kitchen knives, the vast amount of knowledge, the camaraderie, etc. It's a good place. I can't even imagine how many hours the mods must put in to keep this place running. Most of us don't say it often enough, but I appreciate the time and efforts the mods contribute to making this a better place.

That doesn't mean it couldn't be better in some ways, and I hope all of us continue to make it even better, which means some things will be discussed, people will post different viewpoints and disagree, develop or change in thinking, etc.

The topic of a significant group of people being out who knows how many thousands of dollars, possibly tens of thousands, is quite significant. Particularly a situation that has been an issue for years, from one of the site's supporting vendors.

I hope good, thinking people will stick around and keep contributing to making this forum an even better place. (And I don't think this forum has any serious rivals, so the notion of going somewhere else isn't practical unless we're talking about switching to a completely different obsession.)

Even the anonymity of the internet does not afford one the luxury of having their thoughts unchallenged. I spent the night making mokume gane, then I read this. Jebus, I need a hobby.

Not using the additional parsing tag to close?

I see what'a happening, the closing tag was missed on a post by someone and then the unmatched opening tag has been floating there and passed on in each subsequent post which has included a quote of any of the others.

I was more confused as to if people were doing it on purpose as it's pretty easy to see and fix when authoring a post.

I see what'a happening, the closing tag was missed on a post by someone and then the unmatched opening tag has been floating there and passed on in each subsequent post which has included a quote of any of the others.

I was more confused as to if people were doing it on purpose as it's pretty easy to see and fix when authoring a post.

For those tech savy people

As I said earlier, welcome to KKF!

I've been trolling, moderating, and administrating BBSs since the early 90s. And I love KKF, I really do--it's maybe one of the most endearing little nerdy communities on the 'net, and home to some incredibly generous, forgiving, and trusting people--but I haven't seen a clusterjam of internet incompetence this profound since AOL was a thing. Hell, I'm pretty sure daveb still uses AOL.

It's part of the charm of this place, really. A whole bunch of crotchety old shop monkeys plunking away at their dirty keyboards, trying to use a mode of communication that hasn't changed in over twenty years, and failing at it. :clown:

I personally always write off loans to friends, kickstarters and all kind of pre-orders/deposits as immediate loss. Helps keeping a calm state of mind. Caveas emptor. If I get my money or any goods - the more the better.

I am not saying it is ok to not deliver - but the risk is substantial and a lot of stuff can get ****** up even if there is sincere good faith effort to deliver.

As I said earlier, welcome to KKF!

I've been trolling, moderating, and administrating BBSs since the early 90s. And I love KKF, I really do--it's maybe one of the most endearing little nerdy communities on the 'net, and home to some incredibly generous, forgiving, and trusting people--but I haven't seen a clusterjam of internet incompetence this profound since AOL was a thing. Hell, I'm pretty sure daveb still uses AOL.

It's part of the charm of this place, really. A whole bunch of crotchety old shop monkeys plunking away at their dirty keyboards, trying to use a mode of communication that hasn't changed in over twenty years, and failing at it. :clown:

With no offense intended, it'd be interesting to see the average age of this place - the tech savviness does seem lower, on average, than some other forums I'm on. That includes bikeforums, where there are a lot of older people as well.

With no offense intended, it'd be interesting to see the average age of this place - the tech savviness does seem lower, on average, than some other forums I'm on. That includes bikeforums, where there are a lot of older people as well.

There was a thread - I think last year - asking members about their age. I just can't find it, but maybe someone else does?

I'm 29... been for 9 years now [emoji12]

I put up a thread recently asking how old everyone was.

Maybe it's worth having a look through.

*EDIT*

I see that it's anyway been linked to by Damage.

Back