Customfan's Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow that HHH is amazing, I need to work on my sheaths clearly, that is one of the nicest I have ever seen, love the inlay.

Thanks! It fits very well into the overall project.. Randy took it to a whole different level.... The inlay, the detailing and even small nuances like the corners and the stitching were done with a lot of care.

:yammer:

Just to claryify... Most pictures were taken when the knives were new or close to new condition! Still take very good care of them! :D

Just came upon the Rader now and it's drop-dead gorgeous. Also, a question about the Konsuke, presumably honyaki and very thin, single (non-sandwiched) construction: what is it like to handle? Any flex/too thin/too fragile? Guess I'm asking because it followed the "little tank" . . . :biggrin:

Thank you on the Rader although Michael deserves all of the credit!

The Konosuke is a true full blown honyaki. It is Forged from Fujiyama White #2 carbon steel, Wa-handled. I tried to take a picture that captures the distinct hamon but it is difficult. Its a captivating feature of these knives for sure. They are definitely a credit to the Sakai craftsmen that forge them.

Regarding the handling... It is surprisingly nimble compared with other honyaki knives. Mainly Mizuno Tanrejo (which is the other honyaki that I like and would compare it to in terms of quality and craftsmanship):cool2:

I would not say its fragile at all... And it does have a very little flex. What i like the most of this knife is the profile and grind.. Its thin behind the edge and its got a very nice profile (exactly the same as Konosuke 240mm HD which I also own). The perfect combination.... :bat:

They definitely got this one down pat, I wouldn't change a thing! :wink:

Spoiler alert!

Adam Marr 240mm integral western W2 Chef. :robot:

Keep posted!

Almost there... Got the knife... Just haven't got the photos...

More clues...

Its his first western integral bolster AND its got a saya that was made by him with a beautiful piece of wood Form Mark... :spin chair:

Yep... Ive been contemplating his work for a while now and couldn't resist the opportunity, I thought that his first integral would be the perfect moment to get one of his knives.. He puts a lot of effort and heart into his work... Definitely worth it!

I can tel you one thing, not only is he a talented knifemaker, he is a cool guy to talk to and start a conversation about knives!

I specially like the details of the saya... Ill try to post the pics tomorrow! :mustache:

Adam Marr :knight:

Western 240mm Integral Bolster Chef
tapered double beveled blade (50-50)
W2 Steel
Handle is Light colored Black Ash Burl
Saya is Curly Walnut from Mark at Burlsource made completely by Adam.

Measurements

Height 50.91
bolster height 24.60
bolster width 14.96
thickness at spine 3.64
tappers to:
tip 0.75
behind the edge 0.73 at heel
handle length 139.64 (includes bolster)

Balanced at First M of makers mark

REVIEW

Ill try to give my first impressions:

This is a serious Knife for sure, not for the faint of knife! :knife:
Some heft, it just emanates durability (This one goes on the will!!) :D
A tad thick at the spine if that (Maybe my only caveat)
Thin behind the blade (Redeeming feature)
Well rounded and tapered.
Profile has a good ammount of flattness yet some curvature...
Heel if pushed a bit as to not get caught...nice! :laugh:
hand rubbed... looks so custom.. almost industrial.. My second favorite feature.

TAKES A VERY KEEN EDGE! (Favorite characteristic #3)

BOLSTER
My favorite part of the knife... for Adams First... he is spot on... VERY.. VERY comfortable for pinch.. I LIKY :doublethumbsup:
Balance at initial M of Makers mark.. hard to improve on that.

HANDLE
Adam is getting his countours right specially on the front end... I just want to grab and not let go.. look at photos.
Perfect for larger hands.
Very well finished... no protrusions or F&F issues (AND I can be picky).
Pins are flush and I do mean flush! Very well done. :2thumbsup:

SAYA
Well rounded and no movement (you know what I mean).
Nice fitting pin.
Beautiful, a superb saya. :thumbsup:
(Adam is Talented for sure! he can rock a mean Saya!)

IN USE

Is obviously too early but I took it for a test drive and Oh can this baby cut... its a slicer.

Took it to Stiction prone vegetables with little to no issues (MAN can Adam Sharpen!). Tomatoes and other vegetables didn't even see it coming.

VERY, Very comfortable. That bolster is one of the most comfortable ones I've ever tried.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

BOTTOM LINE :viking:

Adam is Very talented and he obviously puts a lot of time and effort into his work.. This is one of those knives that i could get used to VERY quickly and not let go. I feel like Adam tests his knives to make sure they are very well finished and comfortable.

From the amount of effort that this craftsman put into this beauty, it almost makes me want to give him visitation rights!

Definitely worth every penny and highly recommended.

I use a Marr petty all the time. It's possibly my most used knife. I love his stuff, and this looks incredible!

I concur Tom and Mr. D.! :plus1:

The first word that comes to mind when I take this one in my hand is comfortable..

It appears as if Adam's experience making handles has translated into a user friendly tool with a easy to take handle... I think at the end of the day its about creating something that you LIKE to reach for (Sometimes unconsciously) and gets the job done efficiently.

I would love to see that petty... Im actually looking for a comfy petty and parer at the moment... :cheffry: Im having trouble coming up with the ultimate profile....:scratchhead:

I dont know about you but.. Something kind of surprising I've come to enjoy about trying knives from different makers is that each one has his or her own competitive advantage... their own special thing going on... what they specialize in or stand out in....

:my2cents:

Man, my petty isn't pretty! It's my travel knife, along with my Harner. This thing has been through the ringer and back, but I'll snap a pic or two in the next few days and send them your way. It's simple, tough, get the job done awesomeness. It was actually a gift from my good friend, and man, does it get some serious use!

Here are some pics of my Marr petty. I use it A LOT, as you can see in the pics. If this needs to be moved, I apologize. I don't want to crowd the thread.

The petty is 155mm, with a heel height of 32mm. This thing is a great knife!

D86D6514-1DF7-4D7A-8A52-5A63CB6EC5B9-6284-000006023E716ACA.jpg

71B90EC6-22C7-4822-BD9A-6CD7B10AC725-6259-000005FF7B2F3679.jpg

7EFCBA54-58B5-45BE-85EC-2F85E2CA83F4-6259-000005FF851716A1.jpg

It started out as a joke, and ended up being just part of the knife. It would seem weird without it, now. Haha

i figured it was so that everybody knows it's your knife. (i don't know who "everybody" is, though).

Interesting...kinda weird how culture and expectations can develop around something so trivial, eh?

Both of you are right! The guys tease me about (but are envious and in love with) my knives. I'll bring the odd one into the hall, and they gawk, fondle and try them out. This one stays in my travel bag, which comes with me every time I go away, and when I go to work, because of 24s. One guy put the elastic on it, and said something along the lines of, "This knife is too plain. I'm gonna customize your handle for your $500 dollar miniature knife...here ya go. Now it's like all the others you own". He was wrong about the price, but right about it looking too much like the others at the hall. I jokingly kept it on, and now it's just there. Superstitions...firefighters are a strange bunch....

That is a cool story! I like it... Thats what makes it so special and personal! Sounds like you've got a cool working environment and coworkers. Glad to hear...

By the way... That is a cool looking knife, like the mosaic pin! :joec:

Pierre Rodrigue

270mm Damasteel Suji
Heimskringla Damasteel Pattern Damascus
Copper slanted bolster
Deser Ironwood Scales and Mosaic Pins
Vulcanized Fiber Spacers (Not related to Spock on any level!) :groucho:

Very nice protein slicer..... its got some flex to it...
Its my current go to knife to do sashimi and other thin specialized cuts :cheffry:
Crazy thin behind the edge as you can imagine..

here are the pics... :angel2:

Latest posts

Back