Media Cut Brooklyn Again

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else notice that one of the times he tried cutting garlic he didn't cut all the way through? I am not trying to be pedantic, it just amused me

yes. I was thinking the same thing!!! and his cuts were slow I found it frustrating to watch. His handles look cutco inspired. that irks me too.

The challenger on Iron Chef last night was using one of his knives.

The challenger on Iron Chef last night was using one of his knives.

I caught this episode on Saturday night - Iron Chef Zakarian vs. Michael Ferraro. There was a slow motion playback of Michael Ferraro using his Cut Brooklyn to slice peaches to transparent thin since his sous chef was not able to do it with the slicer because the peaches were too fresh. You can't pay for that type of product placement and marketing.

I remember Cory Milligan (or maybe his brother) from New West Knifeworks getting bitten pretty hard in the ass by this community too, and he's ignored it ever since. We're a tiny, insular, and irrelevant demographic. There's no point in having your product "made better" by us snobbish nit-pickers when 99% of the people buying knives in this world do it based off budget, convenience, and brand-name recognition, with "performance" being an entirely meaningless property most people only comprehend in it's relationship to the junk with which they're already familiar. If Joel or Cory can get themselves lines out the door based off a few write-ups in the paper and word of mouth around town, more power to 'em. If I could sell a thousand knives without subjecting myself to the rigorous vetting of a community that quibbles over little things like the degree of convexity on the right face of the knife compared to the left, or the ethereal differences in it's "sharpenability" relative to some esoteric and imported Japanese paper steel, I would too.

That said, I still wish we could get a passaround going on one of these, so we could quibble about the degrees of convexity on the blade face and what brand of motor oil he uses to quench. :razz:

I remember Cory Milligan (or maybe his brother) from New West Knifeworks getting bitten pretty hard in the ass by this community too, and he's ignored it ever since. We're a tiny, insular, and irrelevant demographic. There's no point in having your product "made better" by us snobbish nit-pickers when 99% of the people buying knives in this world do it based off budget, convenience, and brand-name recognition, with "performance" being an entirely meaningless property most people only comprehend in it's relationship to the junk with which they're already familiar. If Joel or Cory can get themselves lines out the door based off a few write-ups in the paper and word of mouth around town, more power to 'em. If I could sell a thousand knives without subjecting myself to the rigorous vetting of a community that quibbles over little things like the degree of convexity on the right face of the knife compared to the left, or the ethereal differences in it's "sharpenability" relative to some esoteric and imported Japanese paper steel, I would too.

That said, I still wish we could get a passaround going on one of these, so we could quibble about the degrees of convexity on the blade face and what brand of motor oil he uses to quench. :razz:
I think I understand your point too...but what's the point of producing high quality cutlery where you pay close attention to every detail if your target consumer base couldn't tell the difference between American custom made quality and mass produced Japanese/German stuff? If that is ultamately his goal then he should streamline his process a bit and increase production.

I think I understand your point too...but what's the point of producing high quality cutlery where you pay close attention to every detail if your target consumer base couldn't tell the difference between American custom made quality and mass produced Japanese/German stuff? If that is ultamately his goal then he should streamline his process a bit and increase production.
Hmmm. Handcrafted cutlery being made as a labor of love with a serious attention to detail are part of his branding. You can't have a hip video showcasing your handcrafted process if your product isn't just that, and consumers--god bless them--gobble that romanticized production process up, even if they don't really understand it. It may be more labor intensive, but it generates an image which allows him to charge the premium he does. Beyond that, though, I think he just genuinely likes making knives and working with his hands. He could probably outsource most his production like New West did and still coast on his brand enough to keep charging a premium, but that would take a lot of the fun out of his job.

Just some thoughts.

Doing things the hard way just so you can say you did them the hard way without producing an superior product doesn't impress me. A couple of weeks ago I watched a bladesmith hammer out a very nice large gyuto from bar stock in about an hour. I'm guessing he could forge more knives per day that way than Joel can cut out and grind. I also watched him hand forge handle ferrules one at a time. Now that is handmade.

thats just it. were not supposed to be impressed. The average consumer watches his nicely directed short film about how passionate he feels about knife making while standing in a room full of machines and equipment and theyre impressed though. he doesnt care what we knife enthusiasts think ( im guessing here). The $$$ in whats trendy and the appearance of craftsmanshift. The shun and global crowd are easier to prey on:lol2:

thats just it. were not supposed to be impressed. The average consumer watches his nicely directed short film about how passionate he feels about knife making while standing in a room full of machines and equipment and theyre impressed though. he doesnt care what we knife enthusiasts think ( im guessing here). The $$$ in whats trendy and the appearance of craftsmanshift. The shun and global crowd are easier to prey on:lol2:

Working part time in NYC, I would say there are a lot of "cool hipster" people to prey on there. :)

...without producing an superior product doesn't impress me.
Haha, but a superior product to an uneducated consumer is whatever they pay the most for, right? And consumers pay the most for whatever they can romanticize, like hand crafted free range no BGH knives. That means Joel gets to do what he likes, in the way he likes to do it, at a price he can afford, and gets to charge a premium for the privilege. The fact that he doesn't give a flying heck what the intarweb übernerds think isn't surprising in the least, lol.

I think Vertigo nailed it. However, I bet his knives actually are better than most out there, even if they don't quite compare with ours.

I agree with you too! Haha
It's just easier to do what he does. To him, we're just a bunch of elitist knife snobs who overexamine every minute detail of a knife (he's right). To please us is VERY hard, and not worth his time. He's already making boat loads, doing what he loves.
Good on him!

I know he wasn't keen on Eamon's passaround idea, so I propose a collection plate to outright buy one from the guy so we can have our way with it.

$30 gets your name on the passaround list. Once enough is collected, the Passaround Commissioner (*cough* Lefty *cough*) buys a Prospect 240 with the collected funds, uses it for a week, then passes it off to the next "buyer." Once everyone has had a week with it, we do a giveaway for the knife using a random number drawn by an impartial third party (*cough* Dave *cough*), amongst everyone who contributed.

Ready Set Go.

Damn, that sounds almost doable....

I'm curious about his knives... and I can still afford $30 :) I'm up for it.

A 240 seems to run you $575...

I don't understand how anybody can expect to improve at their craft if they can't handle a little constructive criticism.

I agree. Some embrace it, some think it might strip them of their crown.

There is noting wrong learning things hard way, but to get better, one has to constantly thinking of better way of doing the same thing, and I don't mean to outsource it, as a better way of doing it.

Forum like this is a gold mine for people who want to improve - information, feedback, ideas, etc, and constructive criticism has been received pretty well and typically an improvement followed.

M

Back