Media Cut Brooklyn Again

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forum like this is a gold mine for people who want to improve - information, feedback, ideas, etc, and constructive criticism has been received pretty well and typically an improvement followed.
M

IMHO, it reeks of insecurity to not welcome some sort of peer review.

The fella in question?
Seems to be there in spades.

Apparently there is no room for it in the marketing plan.

Otherwise, educated consumers are left holding.... doubt.

If there are any Europeans I might throw my hat (£) in though it is highly unlikely. Just think of me if you're stuck

I'd like to try one but not the one that's on sale and it isn't $30. Remember, you're gonna have to ship this knife insured. That's $50 for the "honor" of using a 1095, walnut knife for a week that almost certainly doesn't cut any better than (or even as well as) any number of knives I really want to try. If a CTS-XHP knife becomes available, I'd go for it. Otherwise, I'd rather do this sort of thing for one of the vendors here. I'm thinking Gesshin Hide or the new Korin line of yanagibas or a Devin custom (lots of people have experience a DT-ITK which is a solid knife but a custom is significantly better, imo), etc., etc.

Hmm, that's true, there's shipping to chuck in as well. I totally forgot about that - and shipping out from here gets a bit pricey.

I'm wavering here! It does seem better and more fun to do something like this with something truly special

im in if it is the carpenter steel one. where do I send the money?

Pesky

I'd like to try one but not the one that's on sale and it isn't $30. Remember, you're gonna have to ship this knife insured. That's $50 for the "honor" of using a 1095, walnut knife for a week that almost certainly doesn't cut any better than (or even as well as) any number of knives I really want to try. If a CTS-XHP knife becomes available, I'd go for it. Otherwise, I'd rather do this sort of thing for one of the vendors here. I'm thinking Gesshin Hide or the new Korin line of yanagibas or a Devin custom (lots of people have experience a DT-ITK which is a solid knife but a custom is significantly better, imo), etc., etc.

+1

I wish him the best, but his knives to absolutely nothing for me.

Yeah, I don't think it's worth it for me. Great idea, though.

If there is any chance of doing a Carpenter one it would be cool if Butch was in the passaround

It will be interesting to see what he replies. There is virtually nothing available now on his website and he mentions following him on twitter is the best way to catch when a knife is for sale.

He won't notice or care.

The stuff Vertigo said is true, and it's the same thing he told me, but in a far more vitriolic way. Only thing is, I made it clear I wasn't trying to give him criticism, validate, or judge it. I was offering a chance for him to say "here's my work, take it or leave it" and sell a few knives and maybe shut some dissenters up, and all it would have cost is tying up a knife for a few weeks.

Vertigo have you heard back on this? Just wondering.

I'm curious now too. Especially since one his vids on YouTube he says he'd put his knife up against any Japanese made knife. Thems fightin words!

I would love to get a hold of one. I like 'em, and like the idea he is thinking outside the box design-wise, while they still appear to be comfortable and user friendly. Why in the world would he bother with a forum pass-around? His market, and consequent feedback, surrounds him. I'm sure he is getting, and has gotten, plenty of feedback from local chef's and avid home cooks in his surrounds, otherwise he wouldn't still be in business and (apparently) doing well. That feedback has put him into the position he is in now. I think he is in an enviable position.

Sounds pretty much like the response I got from him too even after talking to him face to face at the New York Custom knife show. That was several years ago and his knives were fairly crude. The ones on the website look a little more refined these days.

I've seen a few in person and i thought they looked nice and felt comfortable...he seemed like a nice enough guy in person too....as far as using one, never had the pleasure.....ryan

Nope. Sent two emails and never got anything back, figured it was a lost cause. I'm not going to twitter someone to buy a knife, lol.

Np I was hoping you had word from him. I don't even have a twitter account, not sure why anyone would want to do business on there anyways.

I thought about trying to just buy one too but he really doesn't keep much in stock and following him on twitter in hopes of being there when one comes up for sale seems a little complicated.

If another 240 comes up, I would be willing to buy it and do the passaround, so if you see one come up, PM me and I will see what I can do.

I'm on twitter and will try to keep up with what he has available. He posts new knives on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I'd like to be in on the pass-around.

Back