Cutting Boards and Magnetic Strips

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dsc_0526.jpg

Tried to link image on my site to the store, but it didn't work. So to access store, please use the link below:

Store

View attachment 14007

Tried to link image on my site to the store, but it didn't work. So to access store, please use the link below:

Store

Wow, that looks great! I like the strips so much more without the big centered logo. It would still be nice to see a brand on it, like the "Marko Designs" shown in the first, just smaller and in a corner. But without the "designs" part. Not really a fan of the comic sans typeface.

Love this design!

Wow, that looks great! I like the strips so much more without the big centered logo. It would still be nice to see a brand on it, like the "Marko Designs" shown in the first, just smaller and in a corner. But without the "designs" part. Not really a fan of the comic sans typeface.

Love this design!

Thank you.

I have commissioned a branding head with my logo (same as on my knives) in .5x1.5". I intend on marking strips, strops, DMT custom bases, and counter-top knife blocks (when I get to them) in the bottom right corner, discreet but still visible.

Until I get a new logo head, I will use Marko Designs, but burn it on the back of the strip. Come to think that I can grind off the "designs" and have Marko only. :)

About the pricing for these. The higher cost reflects higher cost of materials (magnets, thicker, highly figured lumber, fittings), time and labor. These strips are not easy to make and are quite time consuming. If you don't believe me, try to make one yourself.

I don't plan to make many of these, just a few at a time, and I don't anticipate running sales on these. Just giving you heads up.

Thanks,

M

Last edited by a moderator:
Latest strip in quilted maple.

DSC_0556.jpg

I wanted to mention a couple of things regarding the magnetic strips.

I use a recessed hardware construction that allows the face of the strip be free of screws. The hardware accepts flathead screws (provided along with anchors). I place the hardware on a back of a strip a certain distance apart (even number, in the case of 18" block, total lengh 21", the hardware is placed 16" apart).

To mount the strip, a person needs to mark the holes on a leveled line 16" apart, drill the holes with a small bit 1/16-1/8" and then widen the holes with a 1/4 bit to accept anchors.

As long as marking is done correctly (always double-check) mounting the strip should very easy. Before securing the screw in the anchor, one should put it in the hardware and estimate how many threads should be left on the screw for a flush wall mount, and from there adjust up or down for a flush fit. I don't recommend using double-sided tape or any sorts of glue, as over time the weight of the block and knives will likely break the bond and the strip is likely to fall. Hanging on the screws anchored in the wall is the is the most secure way. Please remember that.

A typical magnetic strip uses one row of magnets. These are strong magnets and can hold securely a typical chef's or other large knife. If you have a deba or some other comparably heavy knife, I would need to either use two rows of magnets, on a part of the strip, or make a separate strip with two rows of magnets for heaviest knives. I would need to know beforehand what the preferences are, so I can factor them into construction.

Thanks,

M

Magnetic strips are going to be a stock item in walnut and maple. 18" and 24".

I have a few custom orders for boards, so these will have to be completed before any ready-made are produced.

On the finishing stage. All 24" are already bespoken, and two 18" are bespoken. I will be making more in tiger maple.

20131115_105152.jpg

20131115_105117.jpg

20131115_105137.jpg

Shipping these out on Monday - Tuesday.

One 24" maple and one 18" maple are available, the rest are bespoken - thank you for the patience.

20131117_151749.jpg

Shipping these out on Monday - Tuesday.

One 24" maple and one 18" maple are available, the rest are bespoken - thank you for the patience.

Hey Marko, beautiful work! I will take the 24" maple if it's still available...

These are the first two of replacement strips. Shipping out tomorrow, sorry it took so long.

I have 4 more in works, should be getting them out next week.

Thanks,

Marko

20140124_162034_resized.jpg

Marko , how is the stand alone knife block design coming any progress and do you have any mag strips avalible for sale ?

amazing work, marko! i wish shipping to Europe wasnt so expensive

Unfortunately, right now all I can do is to produce a few mag strips here and there.. I didn't, however, give up on the accessories, but I would need to team up with a woodworker to make this happen. I hope it will be in a not so distant future. I also plan to resume making leather sheaths.

Marko

I will have a few of 18" and 24" magnetic strips available in highly figured cherry. I will have an update once they are listed in the web store.
Next week I will pick some more lumber for the strips. Thinking of getting some Wengee and some other contrasting wood.

Thanks,

Marko

The pricing for the magnetic strips is the following

18" - $120 + shipping
24" - $160 + shipping

The strips will be in woods with the best grain figure I can find. Also will have recessed (hidden) mounting hardware, shielded neodymium magnets, chamfered edge (see previous posts).

Thanks,

Marko

Back