Cutting boards - Lone Star or Boardsmith?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please back up your criticism with some facts, otherwise your post is meaningless innuendo. Citing "other forums" is just as weak.

I was simply responding to the original poster who is looking for a board and solicited information. Responding to your request for "facts" serves no purpose other than to initiate a flame war; this is a nice forum and civility has been apparent here.

... 4 woods - maple, mahogany, cherry and walnut. Of course they all have different appearances, but I am thinking about which is the best wood. Does any one have an opinion?

Maple is generally regarded king. The most plain looking and performance minded of the bunch.
It's like street racing, be wary of the guy who didn't spend any money on paint... it's all under the hood.

while I am sure that catskill craftsmen boards arent the highest end boards, for those in the US, amazon sells them and they are really reasonable.

18x18x3 80 bucks with Free shipping http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004RIXP/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
20x20x3 105 with free shipping http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002HE13I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

having the 20x20, I really love the massive work space, altho I am sure a 24x18 would have worked a bit better, but for the price its solid and appears to be really well made, no issues with mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Boardsmith maple magnum board with the feet, and I am very happy with it. It will probably become a family heirloom. I will never sell it, and don't know how I ever got by before I had it.

We bought 3 BoardSmith boards from 2010-12. Two are maple centers with 'nicer' woods around the outside, and the third is all cherry. They stay out on the counters and get daily use. A couple months ago my mom picked one up, and we gave one to my 16 yo niece, who is getting interested in cooking. I had briefly met David Smith at an ECG a couple years ago, but did not really get to talk to him until late last year. Now I know he is a very nice guy, in addition to producting top-quality cutting boards. Frankly I'm sure there are some other makers out there who may make boards of similar quality, but I'll stick w/ Dave for future purchases for the same reasons I stick with may of the makers and vendors here on this forum.

As far as customer service/ customer relations goes, I know it can be difficult for a small vendor/ maker to keep up with the flow of emails and phone calls. The same is true for other types of small businesses. And of course it is true for big business as well. Usually it is best to call the makers/ vendors if you need a timely response, as they are in the shop working all day and not camped out in front of a computer answering emails. Also, personalities often come across different in forums and in emails then when actually talking on the phone or face-to-face.

We will be ordering 2 more boards from David shortly to give as wedding presents.

I have a Boos edge cut maple that I do like but if I ever gift it to my kids I'll be going with a Boardsmith that will stay on the counter full time.

The next board I buy will likely be a boardsmith because of how ridiculously well liked his stuff is here.

For what it's worth, I have a lone star cherry board that stays out on the counter full time right now. Hasn't been anything but satisfactory so far and he upgraded the thickness for free because he was a little late getting around to my order.

Back