Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_0215.jpeg

@Heckel7302 that looks excellent, love the striping effect. While I like burnt wood, the not burnt part near the ferrule always bothers me a little. That brass spacer makes it all transition so well. What type of wood was it to start?

@Heckel7302 that looks excellent, love the striping effect. While I like burnt wood, the not burnt part near the ferrule always bothers me a little. That brass spacer makes it all transition so well. What type of wood was it to start?

Kipps light handles are pine. I’m not big on the unburnt ring either. I wrap the ferrule in aluminum foil right up to the edge so I can get the flame as close as possible to the transition.

Kipps light handles are pine. I’m not big on the unburnt ring either. I wrap the ferrule in aluminum foil right up to the edge so I can get the flame as close as possible to the transition.

The handles are huon pine, so something a bit different than what we normally think of as pine in the northern hemisphere.

Well the calendar says it's no longer ARM, but it's still ARM in my heart. 💔

Here's a new (to me) Sakai Ichimonji compact cleaver, 190x100, 350g, w#2 iron clad migaki, from @blokey . There is a very gentle curve to the profile, with more of the curve allocated toward the tip, that I find super smooth on the board. Very intuitive push cut/touch-of-rock cutting motion, similar to a gyuto. And zero accordion cuts. I think this combination is really dialed in. It's the first cleaver profile that instantly clicked with me, and I think I prefer it to curvier rectangles like sugi 6 that have more dramatic deviation toward the tip, and to cleavers with a dead flat spot toward the back, like moritaka. To me, this is a really nice middle ground that permits a smooth initial cutting motion without a dead stop at the end of the motion. No knock on other makers or styles; people obviously have different preferences in this regard, and a lot of it depends on cutting style (pure vertical chop, gliding push, slight rock, etc.) and other factors like grip, hand size, board height, blade height and length, and so on.

And nice grind too! I can't remember if @blokey did some work thinning it, but excellent cutter.

The little barrel handle is cute and stubby without being annoyingly thick, thanks to the neck taper. And while i understand that manufacturers routinely put clear coats on unstabilized barrel handles to prevent water damage, I really don't like the feel of a varnished handle. I could just sand it off but I'm thinking a rehandle on this baby might be in order 😈 (Ahem @tostadas I'm looking at you).

0 - SI - Initial Shot.jpg

1 - SI - Right Side.jpg

2 - SI - Left Side.jpg

3 - SI - Choil.jpg

Last edited:
Back