Daily Sharpening Pics

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hours of work ❤️

IMG_9540.jpeg

IMG_6031.jpeg

Touching up the house knives. Macs make a great beater. Super sturdy, comfy handle and a pleasure to sharpen.

I rarely use an aizu anymore, I'm not sure why, it leaves the best edge of any stone of this type I've used. The mismatched tomo is a perfect fit. Teeth for days.

The Spyderco sintered ceramic medium is a great kitchen stone. Nice consistent no-wear mid grit that leaves fangs rather than teeth. I'm 90% convinced it's what the black honing rods are made from. I have no proof at all. Fight me. But still, a great foundation for something like an aizu.

Last edited:
View attachment 295422

Touching up the house knives. Macs make a great beater. Super sturdy, comfy handle and a pleasure to sharpen.

I rarely use an aizu anymore, I'm not sure why, it leaves the best edge of any stone of this type I've used. The mismatched tomo is a perfect fit. Teeth for days.

The Spyderco sintered ceramic medium is a great kitchen stone. Nice consistent no-wear mid grit that leaves fangs rather than teeth. I'm 90% convinced it's what the black honing rods are made from. I have no proof at all. Fight me. But still, a great foundation for something like an aizu.
Always hesitated on getting that spyderco, I don't know why. Have you tried the fine ones too?

Sharpening the thicc bevel on my pallares and a bit of thinking on my low cost beater

All one venev stones, not the best finishers for the look but good agressive edge and effective thinning capacity

Attachments

• IMG_20240114_112653_491.jpg
    IMG_20240114_112653_491.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240113_154943.jpg
    IMG_20240113_154943.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Always hesitated on getting that spyderco, I don't know why. Have you tried the fine ones too?
I bought all three a few months ago when they went on sale to finally resolve this for myself. The fine ones (F and UF) are both the same material (stated in the package insert, and my specific gravity measurements support that), but the UF has been surfaced conditioned to be ‘smoother and finer’. In reality is has a bunch or ridges from some swirling diamond lapping disk. I lapped the normal “fine” dead flat for razors. The UF could be a great deburring stone for low-allow knives, but has no place in the razor lineup, so I’m getting rid of mine soon. You could easily frost the surface back to behave like a white ceramic honing rod. It definitely removes steel, feels glassy.

I don’t think the white spyderco will replace any natural razor finishers, but I was curious how it stacked up to a translucent arkansas. Jury is still out, haven’t done enough testing. It is MUCH harder than an Ark, and slower-cutting the way I have the surface conditioned right now. So I’m going to keep playing with it. I left the backside ‘frosted’ and may move it back to the kitchen to follow the medium when I just need a quick touch-up.

All that said, the medium is a banger for kitchen or field knives. Feels about 800-2k JIS depending on how much you’ve used it, but you can use it bone dry, anywhere, anytime, and get teeth back.

Last edited:
Anyone else have trouble with older taco shaped Mazaki shinogi line?
Maybe it’s my skill set, but towards the tip, the forged geometry seems to disappear and becomes flat.
I end up moving the shinogi way to high and have to polish the migaki afterwards?

I don’t know if this is just “this is the way” with those Mazaki?

Fresh edge of a nakayama maruka. Pretty sure you can get north of 9k with clean water, slippery sharp edge with a bit of stropping.

C353ED90-ECD3-43BE-9A12-BC6DC7C6D21C.jpeg
85DE5C50-AA14-4C67-A58F-1B13105B5DDC.jpeg

Found a small chip, to my surprise, so I fattened out the edge to gain some strength. A little bit of convexity helps bring food release closer to the NAS grinds too.

Edit: for the instagarm

Last edited:
Suncraft Senzo Black. This was one of my first Japanese knives. "Sold" it to a friend who is edging into nicer knives.

He uses a KOWS on his German stuff but isn't quite ready to jump into stones (he also travels a lot for work) so I sharpen it up for him when needed. The nice thing is the edge is never damaged. Dull from use but not damaged.

suncraft1.jpg

suncraft2.jpg

Hiker: Thank you so much for rescuing me! I had been without water for three days, and almost died.
Ranger: It's my job, sir. I'm glad we got you out safe. Oh, we found this rock next to your unconscious body. Is it yours?
Hiker: My pocket coticule! I thought it was gone forever! Thank you!
Ranger: What's it for?
Hiker: I sharpen my pocketknife with it.
Ranger: We found you with two gallons of empty water bottles. How did you run out of water so fast?
Hiker: Did you ever hear of the dilucot method?

I’ll play too (obviously)…

Very coarse and fast coti, glued onto a nice bit of BBW which is finer than the yellow side:

64B02C39-E8AF-458C-B090-92D7C1381DCD.jpeg

Extremely thick chunk of yellow, a little bit too slow and fine for knives though imo:

5238415A-C379-4A5C-AF29-A87E42B4276A.jpeg

Beautiful pink coti with Manganese, backed by a nondescript bit of slate:

6F208E3C-D677-40F9-9DB1-2FB0AF14F237.jpeg

And the ultimate in pocoticules; a gorgeous bit of fast, fine, soft-ish yellow, I made into a combi with a relatively fast and coarse and Llyn Idwal:

D6C80214-49BF-450F-B6BD-4080761D3A6D.jpeg

9C6C8370-85A0-4E2B-B7E5-4A208FCC0689.jpeg

Last edited:
Back