Daily Sharpening Pics

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll play too (obviously)…

Very coarse and fast coti, glued onto a nice bit of BBW which is finer than the yellow side:

View attachment 301409

Extremely thick chunk of yellow, a little bit too slow and fine for knives though imo:

View attachment 301408

Beautiful pink coti with Manganese, backed by a nondescript bit of slate:

View attachment 301410

And the ultimate in pocoticules; a gorgeous bit of fast, fine, soft-ish yellow, made into a combi with a relatively fast and coarse and Llyn Idwal:

View attachment 301411

View attachment 301412

And for anybody into fun facts, here’s one regarding the final stone, which isn’t as disparate a combi as you might imagine…

The first recorded name for the whetstones we now know as ‘Coticules’, was the name used for them by Pliny in 77AD: ‘Passernices’. Which is a Celtic word rather than Latin, as is obviously: ‘Llyn Idwal’.

Those Celts know a good sharpening stone when they see one!

Pocket-cules 🤘

So when is the need for one? Out and about in the woods?
Mine lives in that work backpack so I can touch up field knives, tubing snippers, or rental house knives in a pinch. A fast coti is an all-in-one solution most of the time. A washita would work nicely too but I don't want to deal with oil or soap

I have had many coticules. Here are the ones I have kept. All natural bbw combos from unknown veins.

PXL_20240218_152310144.jpg

PXL_20240218_152244596.MP.jpg

17082710566605453215698580240655.jpg

Hiker: Thank you so much for rescuing me! I had been without water for three days, and almost died.
Ranger: It's my job, sir. I'm glad we got you out safe. Oh, we found this rock next to your unconscious body. Is it yours?
Hiker: My pocket coticule! I thought it was gone forever! Thank you!
Ranger: What's it for?
Hiker: I sharpen my pocketknife with it.
Ranger: We found you with two gallons of empty water bottles. How did you run out of water so fast?
Hiker: Did you ever hear of the dilucot method?

V good!

I was thinking my dad’s MAC gyuto on my thicc Nano Hone 70um stone, and I reached the transition point between the stones.

View attachment 301348View attachment 301349View attachment 301350

This ended up not being cool at all. I spent 45 minutes to 1 hour this evening removing the remaining thin top stone and trying to condition the surface to get the stone usable again, but there is an adhesive (?) layer between the stones that is sticky (not to the touch, but to remove) and prevents the stone from cutting. So far, 60 grit sandpaper has worked the best for me to get through it, but I am still not there. If you are thinking of getting the 4x thick Nano Hone 70um stone, just get the single-thickness stone. I got my 4x thick one for a really good price (~$150 including shipping), but normally the thick version isn’t even a good deal compared to the single stones. Sorry for the frustrated rant, but hopefully someone finds this helpful. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Edit/Note: I did not have an issue like this when I passed the halfway point of my double thick Shapton Glass 500.

IMG_4982.jpeg

Performance test in the interview?
Recruiter said "interview/stage, bring whatever tools you need". So yeah, brought the travel kit, didn't have time after work.

Show up for the interview, I'll be working Expo.
Bbbbboooooo!!! Lllliiiiaaaaarrrrr!!!
Hotel room hand towel strop. This leaves so many questions.
Like what do they use to wash them? I could definitely see some swarf left behind.
I see that I've been doing travel all wrong.
Yes, yes you have. 2 Shapton Glass stones and a Shapton Pro case is so SO convenient!

Recruiter said "interview/stage, bring whatever tools you need". So yeah, brought the travel kit, didn't have time after work.

Like what do they use to wash them? I could definitely see some swarf left behind.

Yes, yes you have. 2 Shapton Glass stones and a Shapton Pro case is so SO convenient!

But Expo (expediting right?) is well in your wheel house yeah?

I’m furiously trying to use my two Shapton pro stones so they both fit in one.

Don’t want to diamond plate it to fit but I’m seriously thinking of glueing the two together and make a combo once they do.

This ended up not being cool at all. I spent 45 minutes to 1 hour this evening removing the remaining thin top stone and trying to condition the surface to get the stone usable again, but there is an adhesive (?) layer between the stones that is sticky (not to the touch, but to remove) and prevents the stone from cutting. So far, 60 grit sandpaper has worked the best for me to get through it, but I am still not there. If you are thinking of getting the 4x thick Nano Hone 70um stone, just get the single-thickness stone. I got my 4x thick one for a really good price (~$150 including shipping), but normally the thick version isn’t even a good deal compared to the single stones. Sorry for the frustrated rant, but hopefully someone finds this helpful. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Edit/Note: I did not have an issue like this when I passed the halfway point of my double thick Shapton Glass 500.

View attachment 304333
Back in business!
…but still annoyed by the adhesive layer

Using 60 grit sandpaper and swapping pieces frequently did the trick and would have made the process quicker if I just started with that instead of trying my diamond plate and other stones.

IMG_4984.jpeg

I thinned my Spåre honyaki from BST that came a bit thicker at/behind the edge in the back half, especially right around the heel, than I prefer. Time to start removing scratches and polishing!

Before:
1709360240031.jpeg

After:
IMG_4985.jpeg

First mizu honyaki in W2 steel from our friend @MSicardCutlery that has been sharpened and ready to find its owner! It was like melting butter on a frying pan in the middle of the Sahara. Terrific cutting edge which was finished on Naniwa pro 3k 🤤

Quick pre-dinner touch up for the Chan Chi Kee-ri Cleaver on one of the very best edge stones I own. This is a particular type of Llyn Idwal called a ‘Grecian Hone’, which is a little coarser and significantly faster than yer average Idwal.

IMG_3770.jpeg

IMG_3766.jpeg

Last edited:
Back