D. Martell Dave Martell Knives - 1st run

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Pierre, that's exactly how I look at it. Shoot, these things could end up being toothpicks by the time I'm finished with them. :D

Sounds good to me. I'm really excited about your knives. Let me know if you want to play with D2. I've got a 4" x 24" x 3/32" piece of D2 I was going to try to make a few knives out of. Then things came up and it's just sitting here wishing to become a knife.

I keep thinking that D2 might make a good slicer. The BBQ guys are always looking for something tough and toothy to cut through the bark.

I keep thinking that D2 might make a good slicer. The BBQ guys are always looking for something tough and toothy to cut through the bark.

Haha- I cut it twice and it's still to short!

I would be really happy to test that D2 slicer out.

I used CPM D2 in a 270mm sujihiki, nice to work, finished nice, bit of a chore to get a good edge, but daily use at home, I only sharpened it twice in 3 1/2 months. It holds up well.

here is a quick shot, D2 is a semi stainless, and as of yet, there has been no sign of a patina. I could probably force one, but hey, It still looks ok, no?
Picture1523.jpg

270mm Hybrid handled suji
Full tang, stainless bolster, mosaic pins
CPM D2 at HRC 62
Cocobolo scales

Last edited:
here is a quick shot, D2 is a semi stainless, and as of yet, there has been no sign of a patina. I could probably force one, but hey, It still look ok, no?
270mm Hybrid handled suji
Full tang, stainless bolster, mosaic pins
CPM D2 at HRC 62
Cocobolo scales

Wooo! Fantastic looking knife!

Quick tapers from 3/32" at the bolster, down to about 1mm 1/2 inch back from the tip, flat ground spine to edge, slight convex on the edge, near 17*, I have yet to put it to stones (as I have yet to get any lol) but with a ground edge to 2000 grit, and a light power stropped finish to 10000 grit, the missus stays a way from it. :D

How about a special run of a 12" D2 BBQ scimitar/slicer?

I am in for a wa 240, and you say that you are doing something special for the first 12 handles (I am #10), so what does that mean exactly? Do we get to pick the wood? You pick it? Stefan's handle sale got me thinking about wooden bling.

k.

I am in for a wa 240, and you say that you are doing something special for the first 12 handles (I am #10), so what does that mean exactly? Do we get to pick the wood? You pick it? Stefan's handle sale got me thinking about wooden bling.

k.

I haven't made up my mind and it'll be a surprise anyway. :)

Dave, sent you a message, I'd be interested in a sujihiki if space is still available.

I (Lyle) am in for at least a sujihiki too, not sure about the gyuto. I will send you a deposit on Sunday when I come back from watching the PBA tour event in Buffalo.

I'd love to try out a D2 slicer. Cutting up bbq'd chicken at work is quite a task.

I'm going to draw up some plans for this, maybe a few options and see what people think.

While I have no illusions on my qualifications as a knife designer, for my tasks (like pull cutting a brisket) a little belly like the Hiro has is not a bad thing.
Going to a 330 or 350 is also on my wish list.:)

when i get the new kiln ill be thinking about a nice long carving knife in the 15 inch blade range (jsut cause )

i have an 18 inch kiln and think i need a 36 incher but we will see

The delays are coming from waterjet set up and also shop equipment fulfillment setbacks (AKA lost in the mail).

Back