D. Martell Dave Martell Knives - 1st run

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since we haven't had the blanks cut out yet (due to delay) we can still accept pre-orders up until that time. Please contact me if you're interested. :)

Dave

I was just wasting time somewhere else and found the knife that Dave really should make:

http://www.nesmuk-shop.de/lshop,sho...8122-1247,nesmuk-exklusiv,edc1802010,2,2,.htm

Just call your steel a fancy name and let your daughters glue some glass pearls onto the handle and you can raise the price into areas that the lowly folk like us will admire and look up to... :rolleyes:

Stefan

P.S. In case anybody is interested, in a German magazine was a short piece about the gentleman who makes these knives: http://translate.google.com/transla...eele-von-messer-3074&sl=de&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8 (Google translation)

And they have oak cutting boards for ONLY 538 buckaroos!!

i have a bedazzler and was planning on attacking my DM knife with and then selling it on ebay for $3k.

vomit2.gif

Dave's got all the cool smilies... Where do we get those?

Dave's got all the cool smilies... Where do we get those?

Many years ago when I was out of work sick I was stuck doing nothing but watching TV or surfing the internet. During this time I gathered up a whole slew of smilies from all over the place. Most have got lost to a hard drive crash though.

Finally........I have drawings from the waterjet people. Now we're waiting on the samples!

I could not possibly be itching to get rolling on these knives anymore than I am.

Oh, anyone looking to get a knife on this run should speak up now or it may not happen. I'm only having cut what is ordered and then we're moving onto other projects/designs.

Thanks to all of you who have helped me get the knifemaking thing off of the ground. Your orders for this first run are directly responsible for this and I'm grateful. :)

Dave

Unfortunately I'm a stainless hold-out. Looking forward to seeing what comes down the pipes though :)

Any updates Dave, you plan on doing a WIP thread on these. It be nice to see your progress/comments along the way for your first venture into this arena

Funny you should ask about progress because just today I got word that the prototype samples are being sent out to me tomorrow for approval. If all goes well then I give the thumbs up to cutting them all and then it's heat treat from there.

A WIP? Hmmmm...... :)

The cutouts aren't exact to the drawings submitted but never the less I didn't make changes to the drawings. The reason is that I left extra material in key places so that I can shape things as I see fit. The belly is the only place that I may not change - unless - it doesn't work as planned.

Cool. Sounds like things are about to get rolling along, hopefully you don't have to alter the shapes to much never know though till you get them in your hands. If I may ask, were these patterned after anything in particular?

So I received the sample blanks for approval today. The sujihikis are spot on perfect for what I'm looking for but the gyutos need a little tweaking to get right. I'm going to take the opportunity to also flatten the belly profile a little bit at the same time I'm having the other things tweaked so we should end up with a very nice knife for the trouble.

better to be picky now than to make a jacked up knife!....ryan:razz:

I just spent the last couple of hours tweaking the 240mm gyuto design. I was aiming to get a flatter profile while still keeping the knife lively on the board but to also make sure it had proper knuckle clearance and be sharpening friendly too. The thing is now so perfect for what I'm trying to do that I've shocked myself! :lol2: I feel this is one of the fastest yet flattest gyutos with such great movement that I've ever seen. It's like everything that I've always wanted in a knife. :jumpy:

In the picture you can see the newly shaped blade blank laying over the original cardboard template. You can see what I've done to shape it differently than I originally drew out. Please tell me what you think of the new design.

P1010014-7.jpg

Charlie Sheen would approve of this knife, because it has so much win! :happy1: I'm glad to be involved in this run!

Back