Dechipping my old Sabatier.... and looking for new knife.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again CC. I feel its good to practise on my old sab so I am learning and at the same time making it nice again...

Blobby - I am almost decided on just limiting it to getting a Carbonext 240mm at the moment. Almost. The more you read forums the more you see people saying how good that knife is.

But I am also wondering about why I would want to get an FKM 160mm Deba. I suppose I would have to start eating more fish to justify it, which my gf would probably be happy about. Also wonder if it would be heavy enough to joint chickens with, but I think the answer is probably not.

On top of that I was thinking of getting a paring knife or a petty, god only knows why, but there don't seem to be any "cheap" parings available on JCK so common sense has prevailed there and I believe I will just go spend £5 on this pretty little Victorinox, and save the money for the serious end.

:knife:

Thanks again CC. I feel its good to practise on my old sab so I am learning and at the same time making it nice again...

Blobby - I am almost decided on just limiting it to getting a Carbonext 240mm at the moment. Almost. The more you read forums the more you see people saying how good that knife is.

But I am also wondering about why I would want to get an FKM 160mm Deba. I suppose I would have to start eating more fish to justify it, which my gf would probably be happy about. Also wonder if it would be heavy enough to joint chickens with, but I think the answer is probably not.

On top of that I was thinking of getting a paring knife or a petty, god only knows why, but there don't seem to be any "cheap" parings available on JCK so common sense has prevailed there and I believe I will just go spend £5 on this pretty little Victorinox, and save the money for the serious end.

Yeah I like the look of debas too but not sure how much use it would be outside of either the heavy stuff like attacking chickens or finer fish filleting duties. Neither of which I do too much of. Have you considered a nakiri or a usuba (provided both of you are left/right handed) for all the finer vegetable work? You've already got a really nice old chefs knife. I know it's not a J knife but still.... Seems to me that if you get a gyuto what is poor ol' Sab gunna do?

Yeah I like the look of debas too but not sure how much use it would be outside of either the heavy stuff like attacking chickens or finer fish filleting duties. Neither of which I do too much of. Have you considered a nakiri or a usuba (provided both of you are left/right handed) for all the finer vegetable work? You've already got a really nice old chefs knife. I know it's not a J knife but still.... Seems to me that if you get a gyuto what is poor ol' Sab gunna do?

Deba would be precisely for fish and taking apart ducks and chickens....

Hadn't considered nakiri or usuba - I would imagine I would use gyuto instead. Maybe forget deba and just let the sab take a battering on the poultry? You gonna make me sad and decide to just keep using the sab and not bother with a gyuto if you carry on!

:scratchhead:

I guess I could just get THIS ONE, and see if I actually use it. Seems like sacrilege though after reading this site for the past week or so.

I guess I could just get THIS ONE, and see if I actually use it. Seems like sacrilege though after reading this site for the past week or so.

If that is a single-bevel deba, and you can't tell from the pic on the website, the copywriter has some serious learning to do about traditional Japanese knives. A deba is NOT "a chopping knife and ... heavy enough to crack crab shell and tenderise meat." It is designed to do one thing, and that is to filet fish. Yes, the heel can be sharpened at an obtuse angle to allow you to cut off a fish head, but it is, in no sense, a "chopping knife". And there are much better knives for chicken, like a honesuki or garasuki.

Rick

Deba would be precisely for fish and taking apart ducks and chickens....

Hadn't considered nakiri or usuba - I would imagine I would use gyuto instead. Maybe forget deba and just let the sab take a battering on the poultry? You gonna make me sad and decide to just keep using the sab and not bother with a gyuto if you carry on!

:scratchhead:

Don't know about you but I only really use a couple (or three) knives. When I got my usuba it replaced the chef's knife/gyuto only for finer veggie work which I find takes up most of the prep work. If you're going to expand your knife quiver you might as well buy one for a specific duty rather than getting one that basically will perform the same function as the very nice one you've got already.

@pensecola tiger: After seeing the single bevel vids that were posted recently I found it quite strange that a deba would also be used for smashing chickens up. Thanks for clearing that up.....officially.

If that is a single-bevel deba, and you can't tell from the pic on the website, the copywriter has some serious learning to do about traditional Japanese knives. A deba is NOT "a chopping knife and ... heavy enough to crack crab shell and tenderise meat." It is designed to do one thing, and that is to filet fish. Yes, the heel can be sharpened at an obtuse angle to allow you to cut off a fish head, but it is, in no sense, a "chopping knife". And there are much better knives for chicken, like a honesuki or garasuki.

Rick

Well they say that it is single bevel on a different page. But really its not a serious knife shop and for £15 delivered you can't really complain about much, nor be too precious about cracking it up on a few chicken bones :)

I will have a look at the other knives you mention. Thing is though I am a home cook only, and its mainly just for two with the odd dinner for 6 friends or so maybe once a month, so I can't really justify lots of expensive knives.... which is why I am on here to make sure that the ONE that I do buy is going to give me pleasure (most likely Carbonext gyuto, possibly Hiro AS, and maybe an FKM deba, unless I decide to be sensible about it)

I am tempted to get it anyway and also get a boning knife they have on clearance at £5 down from £40, just because it is so cheap. I know its bad of me to think it, but I figure its a good way of finding out if I am going to like/use a shape of knife. If I do I can get a proper one down the track.

Don't know about you but I only really use a couple (or three) knives. When I got my usuba it replaced the chef's knife/gyuto only for finer veggie work which I find takes up most of the prep work. If you're going to expand your knife quiver you might as well buy one for a specific duty rather than getting one that basically will perform the same function as the very nice one you've got already.

Do you mean replacing the Sab with a Gyuto seems like wrong move? I must admit that the more I sharpen and polish it the more I am wondering if it really needs replacing. Thing is though that it is the knife I use for almost everything, so if I am going to buy a J knife it has to be a gyuto really. The Sab will probably get relegated to the bone crushing stuff (god knows I have been using it for that already!) The time I have spent looking at these knives blinds me to whether I really NEED it though. I probably don't, truth be told. If it helps, I am thinking of getting a 240 Gyuto, and the Sab is about 210 :)

I guess you can always sell the Sab to help fund it (just winding you up!).

I was just having a look on the Japanese Knife Company site, as I will be nearby this week and am going to go compare 210 and 240mm gyutos....

I see they are selling a knife "KC101" 240mm Gyuto for just over equivalent of US$450, which as far as I can tell is a Kanetsune, on sale (though not common it seems) in the US for just under US$200. I am stunned.

Yeah the London shop is outrageous, the prices are extortionate and when I went the staff barely new anything, though admittedly the owner wasn't there. If you ask they used to let you try the knives too. If I were still living in London you'd be welcome to come round, if you're ever Cardiff way let me know.
If you go to the Japan Centre in Piccadilly, at the back they have King sharpening stones for reasonable prices, and no postage, think its £30 ish for a 1k/6k.

Yeah the London shop is outrageous, the prices are extortionate and when I went the staff barely new anything, though admittedly the owner wasn't there. If you ask they used to let you try the knives too. If I were still living in London you'd be welcome to come round, if you're ever Cardiff way let me know.
If you go to the Japan Centre in Piccadilly, at the back they have King sharpening stones for reasonable prices, and no postage, think its £30 ish for a 1k/6k.

I do pass by Cardiff every now and then on the way to Pembrokeshire, but usually on a train these days.... thanks for the offer will let you know if I am ever nearby.

Rearding JKCompany....

I went in today to one of the central London shops.

I was wondering whether to write a new thread about it as I took down prices etc. for a few knives that they don't show on the website (presumably because they would be easy to google and compare?)

There was a couple in there when I arrived who bought a whetstone that I am pretty sure was one of THIS range, and they paid £49.95 for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure you are all dying to know, so I have just ordered a JCK Original KAGAYAKI CarboNext Series KC-5 Gyuto 210mm.

I shall go to sleep knowing it is 11am in Japan, and dream of Koki gift-wrapping my new knife and dropping it in at the Seki post office.

Congrats! The good news is that if you are lucky, it could be with you by Friday! (if i remember correctly about postage times!)

Back