Japanese Knives Diamond Stone Set Initial Run Signup

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
all right… Everything is here. We've notified all the people who signed up for the initial run, and should be getting them in the mail shortly. Hopefully, we'll get some really good feedback from the series, and we can go from there whether or not we decide to carry them regularly or do more runs of them like this. I hope you guys enjoy them.

Got mine this evening.

I used them to freshen up a Carter wharncliffe and I think they are a winner.

Both stones cut fast and leave a nice edge.

They are very hard but do have some feedback, not like sharpening on Shaptons.

I'll probably have a full review with pictures this weekend when I can put them through the paces with a few kitchen knives worthy of a 6k edge.

-Sam

I got my set Monday, and have used it to sharpen several knives, including a Carter KU, a couple of 52100's , a Tanaka R2 and a shirogami Tojiro. The stones worked extremely well, and the edges were as Jon has noted - with just enough "tooth" from the 6000 stone.

I have DMT's in 1200 and 8000, and compared to these stones, the DMT's have almost zero feedback and feel.

Only one drawback, and that's for those who like playing in mud - there is no mud, only swarf.

Thanks for putting the set together, Jon. I like mine a lot, so far.

Rick

The feedback i've gotten from people has been mostly positive... the 1k is not fast enough to thin with, but aside from that, people seem to be happy with them. I had numerous requests for these individually, but i'm not sure what kind of price point i can do those at. I am strongly considering it, but in the meantime, these can be special ordered through us any time. I need at least 5 sets to make an order, so there may be lag time if not enough people get together. I'd also be happy to do another run if there are enough interested parties.

For those who used them, feel free to chime in with your opinions, or if youre ok with it, i can copy and paste from e-mails

*these stones arent well suited to beginner sharpeners, so please keep that in mind

Personally, I really enjoy mine. I really like the feed back of the knives. The 1000 is extremely fast at thinning but it will easily get the job done if needed. I think the 1000k does raise a burr quickly. I just sharpened 14 knives yesterday with these 2 and really enjoyed it. I didn't use any other stones, set the initial bevel with the 1k and finished them all with the 6k. Personally, I love that they are true splash and go. Zero soaking required. They hold water very well and just need a tiny splash here and there. If I have any serious chips or serious repairs do it, I will use my Gesshin 400. But other then that, I think they are plenty of stone. So far I really enjoy the final edge that it leaves on a knife. It seemed to sharpen all of the knives very well, I will let you know what I think of the edges it leaves on some of the knives. But I was using carpenter steel, blue, white, 52100, w2, and a few others. I felt that the knife worked very well for all of these steels. All in all, I am extremely happy and have sold a bunch of my other stones because of these. I will be selling almost all of my other stones because of these 2... I like them a lot.

-Chuck

edit: to clarify, all the knives sharpened were double bevel knives. I have not tested them out yet on single bevel knives.

Hey guys... sorry to revive such an old thread, but i saw a comment about these the other day and thought it might be worth asking if people are interested in me doing another run of these? I've been thinking about adding them to the store on a more permenant basis, but i'm not sure about the demand.

I also have some other diamond stones around the store (in stock and on order) that might be of interest.

There is one that i mentioned a long time ago that is 800 grit, but as fast as my 400. However, it needs to be mounted to something and i dont have time to do that here, so it would be on the end user (and would also keep cost and shipping down significantly). The only problem is that after a lot of use, i realized these need a special nagura, which i dont have in stock right now, to work best. So, i am waiting on these to come in.

The other type is one that i have on order... its a special formulation of a 300 grit diamond stone i've been working on for a while. Its much thicker than other diamond stones i've used previously, has pretty good tactile feedback, and cuts FAST. These kinds of stones are not the same as, say, and atoma, but while they dont cut as fast, they are faster than normal stones, leave more consistent finishes than atoma-like plates, last much longer, and leave less deep scratches. They also feel much more like a traditional stone.

Anyways, back to the 1000+6000 set... anyone interested in another run? Let me know.

-Jon

*additional notes...
-The 800 grit diamond stone runs about $400 per stone, and i dont know how much the nagura will cost me yet.
-The 300 grit diamond stone will be somewhere between $400-600 depending on how things go with the manufacturing. I ordered a few, as i have some local friends who love this stone.

Funny that you bring this up, 'cause since I visited back in Late April, I've been thinking about the diamond 1K+6K combo a lot. These stones are very appealing to me - I want to get into a 2-stone progression, splash-n-go, slow-to-no dishing, infrequent flattening, fast cutting, low maintenance, etc. I'm just balking at the price right now...

Also very interested in one of the courser grit diamond stones.

Question - does the 1K+6K combo come with a flattening device?

I think this is a pretty rad deal.

If you look at what people pay for other high end stones (natural or synthetic), or even knives, I definitely feel like you'd be getting your money's worth.

It sounds like Shapton Glass Stones are the closest comparison. An equivalent set of those would cost you about half this - and it sounds like these diamond stones are much longer lasting, never need to be flattened, more durable, and quicker cutting. I'm interested in how the feel/feedback compares.

It might be a silly question but what is the function of a nagura with these stones? Is it a synthetic grit to help with feedback/speed or is it to "clean" the stones themselves?

Funny that you bring this up, 'cause since I visited back in Late April, I've been thinking about the diamond 1K+6K combo a lot. These stones are very appealing to me - I want to get into a 2-stone progression, splash-n-go, slow-to-no dishing, infrequent flattening, fast cutting, low maintenance, etc. I'm just balking at the price right now...

Also very interested in one of the courser grit diamond stones.

Question - does the 1K+6K combo come with a flattening device?

The diamond stones do not come with a flattening device, and the 1k and 6k are such that by the time they really need to be flattened, you should be almost done with the stone. The nagura will help maintain flatness to some extent, and is very important for refreshing the surface from time to time.

The 300, on the other hand, does have a flattening device, but flattening is tricky. Essentially, you need to flatten with a diamond flattener, but then the surface doesnt cut until you use a nagura and release the worn down diamonds and expose fresh ones.

I think this is a pretty rad deal.

If you look at what people pay for other high end stones (natural or synthetic), or even knives, I definitely feel like you'd be getting your money's worth.

It sounds like Shapton Glass Stones are the closest comparison. An equivalent set of those would cost you about half this - and it sounds like these diamond stones are much longer lasting, never need to be flattened, more durable, and quicker cutting. I'm interested in how the feel/feedback compares.

It might be a silly question but what is the function of a nagura with these stones? Is it a synthetic grit to help with feedback/speed or is it to "clean" the stones themselves?

I think i just answered the nagura question in the last post. Let me know if that makes sense to you

Latest posts

Back