do you know anyone that cannot use chopsticks?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are training chopsticks available for both kids and adults.
My 33-year-old Korean friend had to practice for a while using the training ones before he married, because he couldn't use them properly (especially the thin and heavy stainless steel ones in Korea) and didn't want to be embarrassed in front of the whole family.

My 4 year old daughter loves using the Pororo ones especially when she wants to throw something out like carrots, beans and etc...

[video=youtube_share;N73YOAWf5i0]http://youtu.be/N73YOAWf5i0[/video]

The only time I will prefer a chopstick is when picking up sushi/ sashimi. :) Otherwise, fork for everything! Maybe I just like sharp instruments.

I rarely cook anything not Japanese at home, so me and my roommates all use chopsticks pretty frequently. For some reason I find the Japanese chopsticks easier to use than Chinese, perhaps because of the pointed tips. Very thin disposable ones are difficult as well.

Depending on what you're eating, the pointy tips of Japanese chopsticks can certainly be nicer.

I think the Chinese ones don't point for one simple reason: with Chinese food you can lift up the bowl and push food into your mouth. You can't really shove stuff effectively with the pointy tips because of the reduced surface area :)

THe only thing about Japanese chopsticks, for me anyways, is that I have to look for the longer lengths. Short lengths drive me nuts because I hold my chopsticks pretty high up. On the shorter hashi, I'm literally holding them right at the very ends and wishing there was a bit more length to them.

The shortness of Japanese chopsticks can definitely be annoying. I'd like to find a pair of kitchen chopsticks since I like using them to cook but it's difficult picking up anything heavy with it -tamagoyaki ends up being an affair involving hands, rubber spatulas, and a pair of chopsticks getting yelled at.

Agreed that the stainless Korean ones are the worst, though not as bad because their food is generally easier for sticks than some other types, and they always have a spoon on hand for their rice and liquids, etc. I like the Japanese kind the best, but am not a fan of the lacquer and they're also too short.

I'm not Asian, but also learned to use them as a kid and don't really remember how I learned. If people don't know how I'm always surprised at first, much like if someone doesn't know how to swim or ride a bike or drive.

...doesn't know how to swim...

When I went to Navy boot camp I was amazed at the number of recruits that didn't know how to swim, but thinking back they probably didn't know how to use chop sticks either:D

Be well,
Mikey

I use whatever's available. I've made some out of titanium alloy for myself and for others, but they are a little hefty compared to the hollow stainless steel models you can buy everywhere. I also had a very precise pair made of transparent plastic that were nice, and although I've accumulated quite a few wooden and bamboo sets (disposable and non), I prefer using plastic and metal for better durability and ease of washing (scrubbing the hell out of them under hot water). The downside is reduced friction most of the time...bamboo and wood chopsticks often do a better job of holding slippery noodles. Texturing can level the playing field some.

I have 2 pairs made made from exotic wood from Thailand and 1 pair made in Japan, resin-pressure treated bamboo, able to withstand high temperature and won't rot to water. These are for collection only. Picture later.

Back