Do you use non-stick pans?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel like I should go back and add this to my post:

I look at non-stick pans the same way I do a stainless knife; They are easy to use, clean and the results can still be really good, depending on what you expect. When I'm too lazy to think, sometimes I pull them out, but it's mostly a Harner or Catcheside carbon gyuto, and one of my deBuyers.

if only i could find smooth surfaced cast iron pans on here, then i would keep cooking with cast iron for eggs.

Just get a debuyer, it is smooth and perfectly suited for the task. And let's not forget the taste difference.

I look at non-stick pans the same way I do a stainless knife; They are easy to use, clean and the results can still be really good, depending on what you expect. When I'm too lazy to think, sometimes I pull them out, but it's mostly a Harner or Catcheside carbon gyuto, and one of my deBuyers.

A part from the need to season it in the beginning, I found that carbon pans do not require any more maintenance than non stick. Just rinse them, scrub them if necessary, and heat them for a minute to dry if necessary. I didn't need to oil them so far as the patina protects them perfectly.
My cast iron pans were all bought new, so they already came seasoned.
When it comes to knives, I find that I need to be more careful around my carbon knives as opposed to the stainless ones.

Can't buy debuyer carbon steel pans here. I livr halfway across the world from most of you. The only carbon steel pan I own is my paellera. I tried my paellera with eggs and they do an ok job. I just need to keep using it to improve the patina.

Haven't used nonstick since I bought my first carbon steel skillet.

Can't buy debuyer carbon steel pans here. I livr halfway across the world from most of you. The only carbon steel pan I own is my paellera. I tried my paellera with eggs and they do an ok job. I just need to keep using it to improve the patina.

You don't have access to any other carbon pans? I would suspect that most would be quite smooth.

You don't have access to any other carbon pans? I would suspect that most would be quite smooth.

nope just paelleras of different sizes, and even then those are hard to find.

You could always sand down a modern pan like lodge.

that's what i plan to do. sand down the surface to improve performance.

just gotta find someone with a sander.

=D

nope just paelleras of different sizes, and even then those are hard to find.

that's what i plan to do. sand down the surface to improve performance.

just gotta find someone with a sander.

=D

Is it just a matter of shipping costs? Or are you referring to your local availability?

i do. i admit it..i kinda like a non-stick for some things. like eggs.

i buy them from restaurant supply places. i wont pay big money for one like an AllClad. i find they all eventually will wear out.

you guys using the iron skillets. well seasoned, you can flip an egg with very little oil? like a quick blast from a spray bottle? or do you need more oil than say you would if you DID use non stick?

Local availability. Shipping costs will be quite astronomical with the size and weight. Then there's greedy customs officers and taxes. :-(

i do. i admit it..i kinda like a non-stick for some things. like eggs.

i buy them from restaurant supply places. i wont pay big money for one like an AllClad. i find they all eventually will wear out.

you guys using the iron skillets. well seasoned, you can flip an egg with very little oil? like a quick blast from a spray bottle? or do you need more oil than say you would if you DID use non stick?

I never had much luck in my cast iron, I think because they're not quite as smooth, but in a carbon pan all I need is a couple of drops of oil.

I've used them a lot for a couple decades now. Happily and w/o shame. In addition to cast, stainless, le cruset (enameled cast)....but this new DeBuyer has me re-thinking the whole non-stick thing.

I'll keep my NS around for a bit, as I fill out my DeBuyer collection.....maybe get rid of it at the end of the year.

I use non stick pretty often too (feels like I'm at an AA meeting). I am learning I'm not the only one who thinks stainless is sticky! The carbon pans have gotten my attention so I may try one from rokoton with the cast iron handle.

Just bought 2 Vollrath tribute non-stick which are a little too heavy but are otherwise pretty nice.

A carbon steel paella pan should perform the same as a de Buyer (or Vollrath, or Paderno, etc) in similar thickness. It just lacks the long handle. De Buyer even makes paelleras:

images

I prefer to use a thin crepe pan (de Buyer Force Blue) for eggs because the sides are low for easy flipping, but the performance is the same. Even though seasoned carbon steel performs beautifully, when it comes to eggs and other sticky foods, it's not ready to go out of the box. You need to keep cooking in it, and keep adding layers of seasoning before your eggs will slide out of it. Try and cook as much as you can in your paellera. If you preheat the pan (which you should always do before adding oil) and wipe it with a very thin layer of seasoning oil before adding your cooking oil, your seasoning will improve that much faster.

I'm a carbon junkie knives,Woks,Pans,garden tools,chisels hopeless.But I do use a 12"circulon non stick for fish at home.Can char Salmon,& perfect middle cook.Never go above Med. High heat,& wash it with a sponge no pads.:D

Its interesting that nobody has raised any concerns around digesting the teflon coating that flakes/wears off. For me that what initially turned me off. I realize that teflon is everywhere including the packaging at most fast food restaurants. I don't know if the are any studies linking teflon to disease but I'm not waiting to find out the hard way. :my2cents:

Its interesting that nobody has raised any concerns around digesting the teflon coating that flakes/wears off. For me that what initially turned me off. I realize that teflon is everywhere including the packaging at most fast food restaurants. I don't know if the are any studies linking teflon to disease but I'm not waiting to find out the hard way. :my2cents:

There isn't really much to be concerned about with Teflon itself. PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene) is inert and is often used for body piercings and medical implants inside the body. The danger is in PFOA and PFOS, which are chemicals used in the manufacturing of PTFE (Teflon is a trade name of PTFE) and which can remain in trace amounts on non-stick cookware. Also, overheating the PTFE coating on non-stick pans breaks it down and causes it to emit toxic particles and gasses which have been known to cause many pet bird deaths.

FWIW, I don't use any non-stick cookware but, for those that do, a good-quality non-stick pan that is thoroughly washed before use and never overheated should be perfectly safe.

As far as I know, newer ceramic based non stick pans are ptfe free. So that's a non issue for those with pans like that.

As far as I know, newer ceramic based non stick pans are ptfe free. So that's a non issue for those with pans like that.

Maybe. They are PTFE and PFOA free, but Thermolon and similar ceramic non-stick coatings are all silicon and/or silicone based. The lining on silicone-lined ceramic pans (EcoPan, et al) vary in quality and contents, and could contain fillers and dyes that are not so great for you. Essentially, you're trading in one set of chemicals for another. Silicone also doesn't do very well on a direct heat source, like a stovetop. Most users who have had problems with it complain that it loses its non-stick properties very quickly and is less durable than PTFE. Granted, this technology hasn't been out long and will undoubtedly improve over time, but I doubt it currently has any benefit over regular non-stick cookware.

I've been happy with a Swiss Diamond non-stick pan for a few years now. It sees mostly eggs or fish.

Stefan

I'll basically say the same thing I tell my students when they ask me about non stick pans.

I have a few at home. They mostly get used for eggs. That's about it. Sure, I'll occasionally use one for something else, if I happen to reach in the cabinet and that's the first pan I find, but they're basically for eggs. Treat them gently and as long as you don't overheat the pan which will cause the coating to start to break down, you'll get a decent life out of them, but they WILL eventually wear out. Since I'm not a proponent of eating worn and flaking non stick coating, when the coating wears out, the pan should be discarded.

Although I do have a couple of "fancy" non stick pans, I don't suggest using anything other than a basic heavy gauge aluminum non stick pan from the local restaurant supply. Regardless of the cost, the pan is only as good as the condition of the coating. If you have a $150 pan with a worn out coating, you now have a very expensive pan which is pretty useless. I'd rather not spend a bunch of money on a pan which I know I'm going to throw out a few years down the line so it's best to stick to the restaurant supply store.

I will offer one exception to that suggestion. Calphalon has a stellar track record for replacing worn out non stick pans. I sent a couple of very worn out pans and they replaced them with brand new top of the line pans. I've heard numerous other instances from other folks about similar customer service, so If I were to spend more than twenty dollars or so on a non stick pan, I'd buy Calphalon.

Great disucssion, Here's another thought, seems like most use NS pans for two reasons, so that when cooking food won't stick to the pan and for easy clean up.

Isn't it more desirable for our food to make contact and adhere/stick to the pan to create the Maillard? Also, In my experience, with a half dozen non-stick brands, I don't think that NS pans leave behind the same quality Fond found in Iron/alumnium pans.

I like NS pans at home, but never for anything that deserves a fond. Room for both on my rack. My first job was strictly cast iron pans on the stove , even for crepes. Good for the fore arms. We were given Calphalon pans to demo when I worked for a national corporate chain that will remain unmentioned . They lasted a couple days of service before they went home with me.

I used to use non-stick, but after cooking professionally, I realized how non-durable the finish is, and how it hates high heat... a well seasoned aluminum professional pan, or steel french style pan is nearly as non-stick as the plastic stuff!

My outlook is.... if you can avoid chemicals in your body, do so!

You do know that's impossible right? I mean you do have to drink water and all that stuff we eat are forms of chemicals that the body turns to more chemicals.

Latest posts

Back