Do You Wash Your Chicken?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just read this article. Oh no...

""There's no reason, from a scientific point of view, to think you're making it any safer," she says, "and in fact, you're making it less safe."

That's because washing increases the chances that you'll spread the foodborne pathogens that are almost certainly on your bird all over the rest of your kitchen too, food safety experts say. We're talking nasty stuff like salmonella and Campylobacter, which together are estimated to cause nearly 1.9 million cases of foodborne illness in the U.S. each year.

Some studies suggest bacteria can fly up to 3 feet away from where your meat is rinsed — though you can't necessarily see it. If that thought alone doesn't give you pause, perhaps this slimy "germ vision" animation will do the trick:

But fear not: All you have to do to kill these unwanted bacteria is to cook your meat properly (a thermometer can help) and keep your utensils and cooking surfaces clean.

Quinlan and her collaborators at New Mexico State University's Department of Media Productions have created a new public health campaign to get the word out about why washing poultry is a bad idea. Her focus-group surveys, conducted as part of a research project funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, suggest as many as 90 percent of people rinse their raw birds. The practice is slightly more common among minorities, she says, but pretty much everyone does it."
- http://www.wnyc.org/npr_articles/2013/aug/23/julia-child-was-wrong-dont-wash-your-raw-chicken-folks/

Look it up ;) is a type of killing of a Yard bird .

Good day

Sam

look it up :D..it's called a joke. hahha.

i have chickens too..well, i had. till i chopped their heads off with an axe. i never could get the feel for wringing their necks. smaller birds..yes. no problem

I always wash my chickens with Janet's Whizbang chicken plucker!!
[video=youtube;jMGZMoENjcU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMGZMoENjcU[/video]

I rinse my chickens just to remove any bone grit, organ fragments and some of the slime and then pat dry. It's has more to do with making them easier to work with and removing anything gritty than worrying about bacteria.

OMG Rick I think I pissed myself. I can't believe that PITA isn't all over this woman. Can you imagine what the meat must look like after its had a chance to rest. Great find. I never think twice killing chickens but this kinda made me feel for that yard bird. The **** people come up with.

I always wash my chickens with Janet's Whizbang chicken plucker!!
[video=youtube;jMGZMoENjcU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMGZMoENjcU[/video]

OMG Rick I think I pissed myself. I can't believe that PITA isn't all over this woman. Can you imagine what the meat must look like after its had a chance to rest. Great find. I never think twice killing chickens but this kinda made me feel for that yard bird. The **** people come up with.

Why would PETA get involved? The chicken was dead before it was put into the plucker.

my ranch butcher has a bigger one that he uses to remove the hair from hogs. it is amazing to watch.

and yes..the hog is killed first :D like that chicken. dead.

It's crazy that this person is not the only one using that thing as far as I can tell from the suggested videos. Wouldn't it just destroy the texture of the meat?

Len thats what I'm thinking or breaking bones. Though if you have the strength to watch the whole video, surprisingly the bird actually doesn't look that mutilated in the end. The meat has to have contusions and hematomas. Nothing like a few blood clots in the meat to give it that extra dead meat flavor.

It's crazy that this person is not the only one using that thing as far as I can tell from the suggested videos. Wouldn't it just destroy the texture of the meat?

While I don't have a problem with the contraption itself, it seems like they should have removed the bird much sooner. There are other vids that only take 20 seconds or so to compete the process.
[video=youtube;DMydVdwmuws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMydVdwmuws[/video]

Yes Mari, it is very real.

At least they kill the chicken first :dazed:

Those rubber "fingers" have a fair amount of flex and look pretty soft. If you pulled the chicken out soon enough, I wonder if there would be much bruising?

I always wash chicken and marinate it with curd and turmeric.It tastes delicious when cooked.

I think like most members here. If Im buying a "perdue" bird or some other mass produced product, I'll tend to rinse the meat from the packaging and then pat dry with paper towels. The only reason I do it is because of the slime that forms in the packaging and its something my mom always does.

If Im getting my bird locally, then I will usually just pat dry.

If it smells funky or feels really slimy, I'll rinse it off.

This reminds me of a story, my father once had a guy believing he had plucked a domesticated goose while it was still alive and that it got away from him and was running around with no feathers.

On the same note I once had a landscape architect believing a hunter was spurred to death by a wild turkey while turkey hunting.....those quaint city folk.

Sometimes I wash my chicken sometimes I do not.

On the same note I once had a landscape architect believing a hunter was spurred to death by a wild turkey while turkey hunting.....those quaint city folk.

I have been attacked by a Wild Turkey before, can't say there weren't a few times it almost killed me.

Look out it is about to attack!!!!!

403px-Wild_Turkey_Rare_Breed.jpg

Last edited:
It might not kill you, but you'll wish you were dead!

I like Bookers, Makers Mark, and quite a few others. Depends on the mood I am in. If I had a really rough day, the Turkey 101 comes out and if I had an really nice day possibly break out the Johnny Walker Blue, but Scotch is a whole nother animal.

I'm the only bourbon drinker in the family and have a couple unopened bottles of Rare Breed that I "inherited" after my dad passed in 2002. I really should do a taste test against a new bottle.

I'm the only bourbon drinker in the family and have a couple unopened bottles of Rare Breed that I "inherited" after my dad passed in 2002. I really should do a taste test against a new bottle.

Yesh...

Oooooo I love bourbon, I was spoiled, I lived in Cold Spirngs, Ky across the river from Cincinnati. My favorite liquor store selected their own barrels from the distilleries down the road....it was heavenly. I still pick up some bottles when I go back over for a visit. Right now I have a bottle of Jefferson Barrel Select opened, an unopened bottle of Eagle Rare 10 yr old barrel select, picking up some more Jeffersons and some 1792 in another week.

Back