Don Nguyen 23.7 cm 1084 gyuto passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don does very nice work. :)

Hey, how did the edge feel, by your standards? I packed it up and wished I had wrapped it separately, with paper around it, rather than the saya.

Don does very nice work. :)

Hey, how did the edge feel, by your standards? I packed it up and wished I had wrapped it separately, with paper around it, rather than the saya.

Felt good to me Tom! I'll be mailing this out to Son tomorrow. With a review to follow later in the week. Which reminds me- anybody have any suggestions as to what the best photo host is for uploading iphone pics?

Photobucket, for sure!

Glad the edge was good :)

Felt good to me Tom! I'll be mailing this out to Son tomorrow. With a review to follow later in the week. Which reminds me- anybody have any suggestions as to what the best photo host is for uploading iphone pics?

Yep, photobucket, there is an app to upload straight from the phone.

here are some pics. I got to handle this back during the ECG and was very smitten by it then and still am.

don1.jpg

don2.jpg

don3.jpg

don4.jpg

don5.jpg

don6.jpg

don7.jpg

don8.jpg

don9.jpg

don10.jpg

don11.jpg

don12.jpg

Hey everyone, I'd like to thank you all for this. Any and all feedback is much appreciated! :)

Some things I would like for you to consider about my own thoughts about the knife (spoiler alert):

-----

Things that I like, or am keeping for now:

Handle
Steel/HT​

Things I don't like, and am changing:

Thickness at choil
-If I remember right it's slightly over 2mm at the choil, and this makes it too light. I'd like to get closer to 3mm ideally. Right now the balance is right at the front of the handles, above the choil. I'd like for it to be one inch forward or so.
Thickness at tip
-The tip area (one-two inches from actual tip) is really thick for me. Ideally they will be noticeably thinner, and will transition into a Full Flat Grind towards the tip.​

Grind (Little details, slight changes)
-I'd like to get a more asymmetric grind. For a right handed user this means a flatter left face, and on the right it means a more definitive blended grind, that transitions into a full flat grind towards the tip.

Of course construction wise, fit and finish, will gradually get better with each knife I hope. Choils will be rounded better, spines will be rounded better, etc. They will also be straighter and more even all around.

-----

Thoughts?

Yes. I think you're nuts! It's a Konosuke, with a much nicer handle, done by an American MEMBER maker, and I love the tips on the two I've handled.

You knifemakers are a weird bunch.... ;)

Thanks Tom!

I would like to say the tip comment pertained to more the Prototype than the ones with the black handles; the tips on those are much closer to where I like them to be, but all other observations still apply :)

That tip is just about right for me, it glides through onions like nobodies business and what fit and finish issues? This is a damn fine knife and one of the best prototypes I've seen.

Well, I'm about to send this out on Monday or Tuesday to Justin. Here is my review. I was fortunate enough to handle this for a little while at the ECG and was immediately smitten by it. The look is unique, I haven't seen anything quite like it. I don't normally go for that modernist look, but this one has style. It is nice and thin and still a little stiff with some flex. I like the tip the way it is. It sails through prep like nobodies business. I used it exclusively all week for everything from hulling strawberries to cutting NY strips. I got very little sticktion on anything, It loves onions and tomatoes. I got very clean cuts on carrots and large sweet potatoes. It is surprisingly nimble and actually looks smaller than it really is. It has a beautiful electric blue patina right now. I have not sharpened it once since, I got it. The only thing I have done is run it once a day for about 10 seconds on the new jadeite stone to freshen the edge and I'm good to go. I will actually send it off unsharpened to Justin and see what he thinks. I liked this knife so much that within 10 minutes of recieving it I hocked a few things and bought one. Might as well get one while I can still afford it.
Good job Don, I can't believe this is the prototype. Can only imagine what the other one is going to be like.
thanks, Son

fit and finish is impeccable, choil is rounded on the right side , but only eased on the left. The spine is nicely eased also. The handle is crisp and feels remarkably well in the hand. It is shaped well for a pinch grip. The blade has an oh, so slight curve to it that is not noticeable at all in the cutting process. It is probably some stress in the steel from heat treat. I mean slight as in if you didn't know to look for it, you might miss it.You might miss it anyway. I love this knife.

My feelings were much the same, but I wasn't in a position to say so. However, now, I agree :)

One participant has dropped out, and another has been added. The list now is:

brainsausage
sachem allison
Justin505
Crothcipt
Vertigo
SpikeC
chuck239
El Pescador
Pabloz

Burke Cutlery
Cuttty Sharp

Rick

I sent it to Justin, it was sent back to me for insufficient address, I sent it back out after confirming with Justin his address last week and I emailed him yesterday I think. waiting to hear if he got it. I seemed to have misplaced the tracking number with the events of this week.

I sent it to Justin, it was sent back to me for insufficient address, I sent it back out after confirming with Justin his address last week and I emailed him yesterday I think. waiting to hear if he got it. I seemed to have misplaced the tracking number with the events of this week.

I'll bet one of the cats ate it.

Thanks for letting me know what's up.

Did I have a bad address for Justin?

I don't think so. The address confirmation that he gave me was identical to what I have written on the box. The post office couldn't give me an explanation as to why it was stamped all over with insufficient address. They still made me pay the shipping and insurance all over again.

Finally got the knife today!!!!! YAY!!

I got right down to business and have already started putting this knife to work. I head back out of town for work next week, so my plan is to drop this knife off Sunday night so it goes out Monday AM and hopefully all of Son's cat-cursed (I'm not sure how, but it was clearly their doing) shipping issues are over and the pass-around time-line isn't impacted too adversely.

I just checked out one of Don's other knives and had to check this thread. I forgot I signed up for it, but MAN am I glad I did! One of the biggest knifemaker surprises I've ever had, I think.

His work is pretty special...just sayin'.

Oh, and get this, I found the address list in my boxes for the store. Oops! I can mail it out, or email it, or...well, let me know!

It's on it's way to me if you want to ship it ahead.

Back