Dumb work injuries

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mandolin slicer? Hope you have a speedy recovery.

no but i have cut myself with those too,several years ago,it was right at my finger tip and i hated touching onions,pickles for a while,still remember the pain vividly

this time it was a big boy

https://i.imgur.com/JmMeciM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/e83meY6.jpg

finger in cast cause the cut is right at my knuckle and it has to stay still,mighty uncomfortable,just be carefull folks,it only takes one moment of slip off

be safe and thanks

sliced my right tyhmbs knuckle in the slicer
4 stiches,jel paste,part of skin gone,but could be way worse with a few milimetres so im happy,just chogging painkillers and relaxing now

About 2 months ago we had two guys cut themselves on the deli slicer in the same day! Both times avoidable and dumb.

First guy had his thumb below the guard and nicked the tip of his thumb rather badly. The second guy turned to talk to someone and reached over the top of the slice wheel to grab the product without looking. His cut was gnarly.

This was also a pain in the ass to have to disassemble, clean, and sanitize the slicer twice during work hours.

I’ve done just about everything once. Mandolin well I could probably write a book. The dumbest thing that comes to mind is this one. I have 2 kitchens in the hotel for some time we only had a couple wire fryer grates that go into the bottom of the fry tank. I took one out of hot fryer downstairs and put it in a hotel pan and grabbed a couple other things. Couldn’t find a cart and awkwardly carried a pile of stuff to the elevator. Struggling to push the button the searing hot fryer grate flipped forward and burned me badly across the cheek and nose. It was scabbed over for close to a month. Looked like an idiot.

About 2 months ago we had two guys cut themselves on the deli slicer in the same day! Both times avoidable and dumb.

First guy had his thumb below the guard and nicked the tip of his thumb rather badly. The second guy turned to talk to someone and reached over the top of the slice wheel to grab the product without looking. His cut was gnarly.

This was also a pain in the ass to have to disassemble, clean, and sanitize the slicer twice during work hours.

Yeah im not in much discomfort or pain,but i feel pretty dumb. Dont even know why my hand was near the blade,i ve been thinking trying to remember why ever since to accident happened but i cant....,why the frick my hand was near the blade? dont even remember....

I have cut myself with an exploding plastic quart container while trying to put a lid on it, on the underside lip of a new stainless steel counter, and (most hilarious) while sheathing my knife at the end of a service. Plastic/Foil cutter has got me numerous times. Never been got by the mandolin yet.

I have cut myself with an exploding plastic quart container while trying to put a lid on it, on the underside lip of a new stainless steel counter, and (most hilarious) while sheathing my knife at the end of a service. Plastic/Foil cutter has got me numerous times. Never been got by the mandolin yet.
cracked deli cup cuts are the worst

I cut myself on aluminum foil...

Seriously nasty paper cut style...

25+ years...and never before...I have a healthy respect for it now...

Take care

Jeff

Working too fast and had to get 7 stitches on the finger today.

Coworkers were supportive... mostly betting that I was being a drama queen and didn't need any stitches at all.

Be careful out there. Those of us who are lucky enough to still work are probably still quite busy. Slowing down 10% probably would have saved me about 1 hour and 45 minutes and a couple hundred bucks in bills.

Off,7,thats a lot of stiches
im recovering from a cut myself,only way to recover faster is to try to be healthy,sleep and eat well,rest,keep your wound dry !
try to lay off sugar,lots of veggies and good proteins,lol what a timing,be safe dude
medical bills? no workers comp?

those 2 def would not pass a drug test :D

Not really injuires but Ive ripped many pants on sharp corners on stuff at work

Not at work but related. Drunk as hell nite sometime back and had just watched salty drop a piece of paper and slice through it. I tried it. I failed and nearly cut my hand off.
2EF07D2D-E32D-4E67-9A92-8CC2318BA0FF.jpeg

Last edited:
Not really injuires but Ive ripped many pants on sharp corners on stuff at work

This.
Particularly Chef wear “ultimate” pants. There’s this extra poofy fabric like exaggerated pleats around the pocket area. The pockets get caught and rip open on all sorts of stuff in tight kitchens.
CC2E0B0B-1FE8-45ED-B5D5-85BBE4CC3D4F.png

Last edited:
Those pants looks nice and airy. But, from a safety perspective, loose clothing is a no-no.

The roominess in the crotch area makes them very functional for work, you can squat down easily in them like sweat pants.
But yes, the pocket area is bad. This wasn’t a problem for me in the past with these sorts of pants. But chefwear quality and consistency has declined so i dunno.

Dickies Poplin pants were amazing and inexpensive. I think they’re discontinued now unfortunately. Imagine regular dickies cut and look but with thin breathable fabric.

Not at work but related. Drunk as hell nite sometime back and had just watched salty drop a piece of paper and slice through it. I tried it. I failed and nearly cut my hand off.View attachment 75988

Is that the video where he’s naked? This has been deceiving poor souls for ages! I’m convinced he totally misses the paper and picks up two ‘halved’ sheets from the floor.

Is that the video where he’s naked? This has been deceiving poor souls for ages! I’m convinced he totally misses the paper and picks up two ‘halved’ sheets from the floor.
Download the video and then watch the relevant bit one frame at a time. His knife wasn't anywhere near the bit of paper he supposedly cut…

But the joke really rocked, no matter how tipsy he was at the time :)

Download the video and then watch the relevant bit one frame at a time. His knife wasn't anywhere near the bit of paper he supposedly cut…

But the joke really rocked, no matter how tipsy he was at the time :)

Yea, the great thing is how he’s inspired so many people to try to cut things in the air while drunk. Raise your hand if you’ve done it.

:cheers:

On the topic of alu foil. I do all kinds of silly maneuvers with sharp knives and powertools, but the one thing that's made me put on cut restistant gloves is stainless steel foil used in heat treat. Seemingly impossible to handle gloveless without cuts.

A part of me just died inside. :oops:

Reactions: ian
Jack slipped while I was working on my car and ripped my finger nail clean off, looked real nasty for a solid month.
At my actual job I was walking with a 2" hotel pan, exec chef turned around so I turned the pan slightly to avoid him but clipped the side of the oven and jammed the pan into my hand. It was a surprisingly deep and clean cut and should have gotten stitches. 6mo later and I still have a raised scar.

Latest posts

Back