Dumb work injuries

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not at work, but seems pertinent.

CA94772A-0B47-4D12-9511-3328180C4CD8.jpeg

Not as big a deal as the other injuries in this thread, but it makes up for severity in currency, given that it happened a couple hours ago.

This was unrelated to my decision to sell the offending Catcheside. ;)

Last edited:
Not as big a deal as the other injuries in this thread, but it makes up for severity in currency, given that it happened a couple hours ago.
Cringe… :(

All things considered, you got off the hook cheaply though. Just one millimetre further back, and it would have turned out far worse.

Yea, hardly any blood, even! Had to search through the garlic to find the nail, which grossed my wife out enough that she had to leave. Stung every time I washed my hands tonight, though.

Told my wife that she’s always on me to cut my nails, so what’s she complaining about...?

Seal it with cyanacrylate glue.it will heat up as drying, but will then be protected until it heals. Skin needs to be clean and dry. Hope it heals quickly.

Oh yeah. Did that to my middle finger, left hand while dicing up onions for creole first month I was cooking at New Orleans Takeout. Shaved off nearly half of the nail, but barely any of the nail bed.

Looked for the fingernail quite a while in the pile of onions. Finally the owner threw them in the pot, saying "anyone finds it, they'll think it was a shrimp shell".

Home chef, but could probably do the stupid part:

Was at home gaming when quite a bit younger than now. Wanted some quick food and grabbed a freezer dish asian style meal box wrapped in plastic.... couldnt get the damn plastic off and grabbed the global bread knife keeping a tight grip on the box with my left and cutting with my right hand...

15 minutes later i was at the emergency room getting stiches on my index finger. Cut it to the bone at the first digit. Still hurts to this day if I handle stuff and hit a certain area.

Only 4 stitches though.

The grater got me guys.... Dont slip on those things!

If I don't make it... tell my family... tell my family I went the way I lived... screaming in agony...

... so cold...

I'm so sorry mate....

It really can grate on your nerves when that happens..

I'll see myself out

🤣

Its ok... I made it through the night... It was probably for the greater good. I wont have a shred of arrogance approaching it with the same amount of zest as I used to 😝

🤣

Its ok... I made it through the night... It was probably for the greater good. I wont have a shred of arrogance approaching it with the same amount of zest as I used to 😝

I know the feeling... Funny thing is, I need to learn it with so many things. The grater, the knives, the kitchen machines, the stove, even the closets when opening them and pieces of broken dishes... one would think it was possible to extrapolate and avoid sharp pointy object hubris.

The grater, the knives, the kitchen machines, the stove, even the closets when opening them and pieces of broken dishes...

Ha! Danger is everywhere!! Need to wear oven mitts all the time ;)

....the hot pan handle that you thought wasn't hot.....

Speaking about wearing oven mitts all the time :rolleyes:...

...I did that recently as well! I have a silicone protector on my cast iron skillet. Recently I purchased a small 6.5" lodge frying pan for smaller tasks. Not so long ago I was toasting sesame seeds in it. I absent mindedly grabbed the bare handle and recoiled in horror! Old habits die hard. Fortunately it wasn't that hot.

still... it never hurts to be mindful of the task at hand

Mandolin cuts are standard.

Honing a blade, missed the steel and lodged the blade into my thumb. :facepalm:

I was roasting several small handfuls of different seeds “individually to perfection” for a rye bread using 6 and 9 pans. Lots of kitchen smells going on. Went in for a sniff and got a bit too close. Didn’t blister or anything but it was red and embarrassing for the night. CDC was amused enough to post it on his instagram.

Attachments

• IMG_1136.JPG
    IMG_1136.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 20
Saw a commis trying to cut a large block of Parmesan cheese. He had on hand firmly on the handle of his knife, the other pressing down precariously towards the tip. Before anyone could advice him against this..he put all his weight down onto the blade and rocked it back and forth a bit, the hand near the tip slipped and left a large Grand-Canyon-sized-gash in his palm. After wrapping it up with tape and a c-fold towel he tried again and insisted everything was fine..

Somehow made it through without much worse than sticking my finger in a rotary slicer. Worst I saw was a new chef de cuisine roasting chicken necks and backs on sheet trays. Shorter guy, stacked convection oven. Went to grab the top tray and poured 400 degree chicken fat from his hands down to his elbows. I will never forget him looking up at me and asking if I thought he should go to the hospital.

It didn't happen to me, but it was hood cleaning day at a tourist trap I was at and the pantry guy is "in a rush", so he puts two sheet trays on top of the deep fryers and they slip while he was standing on top of them. Thing was off for maybe 10 minutes before he plunged waist deep. Chest really, since his knees buckled to catch his fall.

Almost had a similarly gruesome day the time I wore Vans in the filet room of a seafood distributor I worked for. Do not recommend.

And now Karma strikes. Wrapping knives for the move, I slip a small Dalman parer into a see through knife thingy that came with another knife.... and didn’t realize it was open on both ends.... Slipped right through and into my foot. Luckily I was crouching so it was only about 10 cm height and the knife is super light.... standing and a heavier, I think that would’ve gone straight through the foot into the hardwood floor....

Got a nice scalpel like precision cut now....

It didn't happen to me, but it was hood cleaning day at a tourist trap I was at and the pantry guy is "in a rush", so he puts two sheet trays on top of the deep fryers and they slip while he was standing on top of them. Thing was off for maybe 10 minutes before he plunged waist deep. Chest really, since his knees buckled to catch his fall.

I have heard an eerily similar story happening in Chicago. I'd prefer to think of this as a kitchen urban legend!

Edit: Looking through the posts I missed, I think I might have to unsubscribe to this thread. It's getting real scary...

Used to work at a medical engineering company as a student, developing and testing parts for patient interface masks.

One day, by accident injected fresh beef blood in my hand... (don't ask how)

:dancingcow:

That was fun... emergency run to the doctor with multiple injections... finger was fixed for 2 weeks... penicilin in high dose for 2 weeks... and the cow (was still alive) was tested for different deseases...

Happened 12 years ago, so I guess I'll be fine...

Used to work at a medical engineering company as a student, developing and testing parts for patient interface masks.

One day, by accident injected fresh beef blood in my hand... (don't ask how)

:dancingcow:

That was fun... emergency run to the doctor with multiple injections... finger was fixed for 2 weeks... penicilin in high dose for 2 weeks... and the cow (was still alive) was tested for different deseases...

Happened 12 years ago, so I guess I'll be fine...
If only that occurred at the exact same time you were using an x-ray machine... you'd be BeefMan!

Back