Eamon Burke knives.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see, I changed it to "Volunteer to complete work," that should help with the ambiguity.
Good point RE other products...I added myself for a different item from Eamon.

Done.

Looks good. Do you mind posting Google Docs spreadsheet in Off Topic subforum? Devin started a thread there on the same subject. This way, we won't miss anybody who is owed work.

M

He owes me one of the utility knives and I'll worry about the other stuff later, if he is willing to send the saya and handle wood out there is plenty of the cocobolo and straight grained ironwood available for all the sayas and handles. That will be my donation, I have no tools here.
Thank you gentleman for the help and understanding.

Son, you bet, and since I have your attention here, I will bring your Wilson with me to ECG. You probably missed it terribly. :D

I am going to give another thought once the scope of work is established and JohnyChance is to help, on making sayas in other woods than poplar. One way or another, you guys will be happy with the work, and we all move past this.

M

Hidden tang? I might be out on handle making for this one. I don't want my first attempts to be at others expense. I could offer finish sharpening or something perhaps?

He owes me one of the utility knives and I'll worry about the other stuff later, if he is willing to send the saya and handle wood out there is plenty of the cocobolo and straight grained ironwood available for all the sayas and handles. That will be my donation, I have no tools here.
Thank you gentleman for the help and understanding.

Son, saya included? You are donating wood for Sayas + Handles from materials you already sent to Eamon?

Iceman91/Mr. Drinky/WildBoar: did you guys all order sayas as well?

You're a stand-up guy Mr. WillC.

IIRC, the metal work is 90%+ done an all that needs to be done is handle work and final finishing correct?

I can't edit the sheet; looks like view only.

I am also owed a knife.

However, I would be happy to take it without a finished handle. If Eamon already purchased materials (wood, pins, liners) then I would like those; they just don't need to be finished / attached to the knife.
I've done a bit of wood and metal work and I'd like to try my hand at handle making and this seems like a great excuse. I'm an urban apt dweller so I don't have my own shop, but I just found a community pay-per-month place. As this is my first go at this, I don't feel comfortable doing much of the handle work, but I am an accomplished sharpener so I'd be very happy to do the finish sharpening for anyone that would like it.

Could somebody post a link to the original post, please? I am not sure what these knives look like. But if my limited skill set of making a few wa handles for this is of help, I'd be happy to do that. Unless those need to be coordinated with sayas, I have plenty of wood here for that.

Stefan

Hidden tang? I might be out on handle making for this one. I don't want my first attempts to be at others expense. I could offer finish sharpening or something perhaps?

I think that's where John Thomas will step in.

Guys, those of you who owed work and knives, please fill the spreadsheet (link in this thread) so we can establish a scope of work. If a matching sent was ordered, please state in what wood.

M

15 Blades were sent out, they are with Eamon.

Regarding getting the blades, I have e-mailed and Facebooked Eamon, so hopefully he will come on board, maybe help where he can, or at least facilitate a hand over.

I have put this in my forum, largely so we can have pictures of things coming along. It will be required apart from anything else to get them looking in the same vein.
I cant really take on board everything else that is owed out from Eamon in this thread it will get too messy. I know he has peoples knives and all sorts. This needs to be a separate thread on a general forum. I would suggest that we try and take this little step first to get the ball rolling with Eamon. Hopefully he can accept our help and it will be a weight off his mind, to be able to pass the stuff on.

Iceman91
Mr Drinky
Wild Boar
Pensacola Tiger
Zweifel

Helpers

Kalaeb
SpikeC
Theory
Marko
Johnny C
Mrmms
John

I can't edit the sheet; looks like view only.

I am also owed a knife.

Justin/Anybody,

If you want to edit the sheet, send me your gmail address and I'll add you with edit permissions...would prefer to not open it up to the general public though.

Son, saya included? You are donating wood for Sayas + Handles from materials you already sent to Eamon?

I can't remember if I ordered a saya, but I will take mine without one. Just knife for me.

k.

I am owed one utility knife. I sent him a very nice piece of Mark's stabilized koa for the handle. Unfortunately I have no skills to offer, but those who offer their services are truly stand up guys. I will certainly pay for shipping costs and/or services if needed. Thanks guys.

OK, so we need another spreadsheet in the Off Topic sub forum, for orders other than Will's knives.

M

I posted a link for the same spreadsheet in the other thread...is there a reason we can't share the same spreadsheet since it's not actually stored/displayed on KKF?

If so, that's fine, it's trivial to make a copy...

Man, I have trouble keeping on top of my own stuff...funny, though, I just offered to get a handle taken care of for another member, for this same project maybe two weeks ago. If it comes down to it, I can do a handle and some grinding/finishing on one knife.

Eamon's original thread had this description of the utility:

Some changes are that the spacer will be ivory paper micarta instead of maple(doesn't stain as easy), and the handle will be regular walnut. If you want Burl/exotic/stabilized wood for the handle or a crazy sheath, or a matching pair, just let me know.
Including a matching sheath, these are going to be $300 + S&H.
BUT
We need to crowdfund these first ones(materials, int'l shipping, etc). So if you Pre-Order one now, I will send you an invoice for the full price immediately, including a $50 discount. Not only that, but since I will be doing a small batch(10) and I'll know whose they are for already, I'll do whatever kind of wood you want for the handle scales/sheath for the cost of materials(if you have wood you want me to use, just mail it to me and I'll use it for no extra charge).
So you'll be getting a unique stainless, American Hardwood/Micarta handle, Matching Sheath w/ Boxwood pin, and a stone finish for $250 + S&H.

So, all of them were to have come with a saya.

Since Eamon is no longer an active vendor, his sub forum has been restricted. It would be nice if a mod could move any threads on this project over to Will's sub forum for reference purposes.

For those who need to see how the handle was constructed, here are some pics from that thread:

It can share the same spread sheet, so long as we can see what is what. :)

I am pretty sure that all of the utilities were to include sayas.

Brilliant Guys thanks, well done on finding the old thread.

I've got to run out to the farm and feed/care for the horses, so I'll be gone a few hours. will catch the spreadsheet(s) up when I get back.

can anyone even get a response out of him to ship the knives? seems like some have flat asked the knives to be super sans handle and have still gotten nowhere

I would give it a bit of time, the threads have only just gone up.

Those handles will be a snap to make.

To summarize
List

Iceman91
Mr Drinky
Wild Boar
Pensacola Tiger
Zweifel
Sachem Allison
Choll
Justin

Helpers

Knyfeknerd - honing?
Kalaeb - Handling
SpikeC - Handling or finish
Theory - Finish or honing
Marko - Saya
Johnny C - Saya
Mrmms - Finish
John Thomas - Handles/Finish
Justin - Honing
Edipisreks - Finish

Many hands make light work. we don't want anyone doing 15 of anything. 5 at the most, so we can work out how to spread the work and balance it against postal costs as we go.
Thanks to all those who have offered materials and postage costs. If all the materials are not accounted for we will have an appeal as required. The materials Eamon has would be best as they are the right widths.
As for postage costs, we may need to have a postage kitty or something to make all this possible to pass on little batches of knives for different processes.
Cheers
Will

all of the Will utility knives were supposed to have sayas and handles. I traded Eamon enough wood to make 30 or more sayas out of cocobolo in exchange for him making sayas for my personal knives. Whatever he didn't use for my stuff he could keep and make high end sayas to sell for himself. I also sent him ironwood blanks for handles,not many. Yes, I am donating that material if he sends the blades he is going to have to send all the other stuff that goes with it.

I'm likely to be going through Dallas soonish (next week or two), so I could pick up the materials and handle getting them shipped out.

was on my list to visit Eamon anyway.

Yeah the handles are hidden tang w a liner like Carter.

I believe the old threads from ex vendors are deleted and not archived. So the rest of the thread may not be available.

Your very kind Son, hopefully it wont be required as all the materials for these should be with Eamon, but we will see...... I hope you will be able to get your extra materials back.
Speaking of collection. Do we have anyone is Eamon's area who can call around and collect blades, materials etc?

With the pictures and details, we have enough to go off. I know the specs and construction pretty well to advise from there.
The handles should be a nice straight forward construction. All my tangs are the same size. Just under 3mm, with a very slight taper. So in theory all handles can be made the same, with a 3mm spacer with the slot cut....sides epoxied on.... Handle shaped, polished, Will probably need burning in a bit to shift any beads of epoxy, then fixed on the knives. We will tackle it as we go. I can make drawings with dimensions to work to so we are all on the same page.

Back