East Coast Gathering ECG 2014

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was hoping to make it - am even going to be in Reading on Saturday- but it's not going to happen. Maybe next year.

Just to confirm, I will be attending with my wife and daughter.
I just finished marinating the sriracha wings that I will be bringing on Sunday. Looking forward to seeing you all.
Chris

I plan to attend and will be bringing two Linzertortes. Thanks for hosting the event again. -Doug

Hey Folks,
I regret to inform you that I won't be able to attend this year's gathering. I got a couple of offers for a ride, but I am taking care of a dog (and was planning to take him with me), and that somewhat has hindered my mobility to meet with the parties who offered a ride.

The raffle knife still stands, though because of the cut, I didn't managed to get it done by this weekend and I will send it directly tot the winner instead.

Please do the raffle - the old fashionable way, write your name on the piece of paper, toss all names into a hat and pull the winning ticket. Please post the winner in this thread.

Have a great time and enjoy great food.

Thanks,

Marko

Marko u will be missed because I have been trying to meet you for 2 years now. I am going to start to think it is me soon, LOL.

My brother and I will stop by in the late afternoon, ~4pm. Hope we're not too late see most of y'all's gear. (Or for the Marko raffle ;) ...). Gotta help relatives move in Reading this morning.

And you couldn't have picked a more gorgeous day.

You guys and Craig will have to pick the raffle time. :)

Good luck to everybody.

Still there? I'm driving now. Be there by 6 30.

I'm out here but I don't have the exact location. Help.

Rick, sorry Sherri, Haley and I missed you this year we had to leave. Was looking forward to another demo. Maybe next year.

Thanks especially to Craig for hosting the event this year. Really enjoyed it and meeting so many people in person for the first time. Disappointed that I missed Rick, who I didn't realize would arrive so late, so I unfortunately departed before his arrival on the scene. Next year!

Thanks to Craig and Debbie for hosting again this year! It was great to hang with Chris and family, Larry - great to meet you, Destin (name changed to protect whatever), Ben, and the rest. Sorry to have missed Rick. I've watched the fish show the past two years and would have liked to see more. As punishment, when I win the Marko, I will not give it to you.

Seth (the mean one of the litter)

Wish I could have made it thus year, but sadly the first of many weddings was this weekend. Wedding hangovers are the worst.
But I hope to see pictures soon!

So who won the drawing? If the drawing wasn't done, put your names here and I will draw it same as I do with lottery knives.

Marko

Craig's son Ben won the raffle. And interestingly enough, he is also the one who drew the name :bat: Haha, it was all legit though; several of us were watching.

It was a very nice, relaxing day.

While I was there got to admire several beautiful Harner knives (brought by Butch), and some fascinating pieces from Colin's collection, but I feel bad if there's any truth to the rumor that not too long after I left Rick arrived with a whole tuna, which he and Colin proceeded to expertly slice up completely in 6 minutes and 25 seconds, into perfect portions of sashimi plus tuna steaks, etc. -- all using two dull old carbon knives that Rick had stopped to pick up at a flea market on the way to the ECG and then sharpened in a couple of minutes, giving them razor edges, using only Craig's paving stones and an old newspaper.

While I was there got to admire several beautiful Harner knives (brought by Butch), and some fascinating pieces from Colin's collection, but I feel bad if there's any truth to the rumor that not too long after I left Rick arrived with a whole tuna, which he and Colin proceeded to expertly slice up completely in 6 minutes and 25 seconds, into perfect portions of sashimi plus tuna steaks, etc. -- all using two dull old carbon knives that Rick had stopped to pick up at a flea market on the way to the ECG and then sharpened in a couple of minutes, giving them razor edges, using only Craig's paving stones and an old newspaper.

Goes to tell you..
That would have been great to watch. Thanks for sharing

I can not confirm these statements. I won't deny them, but I can't confirm them.

Craig's son Ben won the raffle. And interestingly enough, he is also the one who drew the name :bat: Haha, it was all legit though; several of us were watching.

Yeah that's soooo wierd and with Father's day right around the corner and all......

Thanks Craig & Debbie for hosting this event, also thanks to everyone to showing all the good stuffs. And I will see you guys again next year at Chris's...... Cheers.

Fendy (D3st1n).

Congratulations to Ben. I will post pics of the knife before sending it to Craig.

Marko

Thanks to everyone who came to this year's ECG. The turnout was a bit light but it was nice to see some new forum members and non-forum friends and family.

Burl Source is hitting his stride with some highly figured blocks of wood I've never heard of before. Butch, as usual, brought some great knives and liquid nitrogen he and Doug Seward used to make soft-serve ice cream. mingooch is quickly building up his hoard of 270 custom-handled gyuto's and Seth is still the Shig king. Chef Niloc arrived late and stayed late with his Beatty cleavers, knife belts and some of the amazing knives he's posted here.

Food-wise, Jim made some excellent pulled pork. Doug's traditional linzer tort was excellent, as were mingooch's wings.

Theory arrived close to 7:00, when everyone was either gone or packing up. He and Niloc hung out, ate pulled pork sandwiches and yammered on about knives and the resto biz until about 9:30. I think my son, Ben -who woke up at 2:00 p.m- sat with them, but I was done in after starting to set up at 8:00 a.m.

My wife, Debi, was a great help and host, especially considering she couldn't care less about knives. I'm a lucky guy.

mingooch/Chris said he'd be hosting it next year at Sandy Hook NJ. I'll see you all there.

I can not confirm these statements. I won't deny them, but I can't confirm them.

Yeah, the legend continues. Supposedly soon to be made into a major motion picture, with RT played by Johnny Depp and Butch by Vin Diesel. (Not sure who will be cast as Colin.)

Seriously, thanks to everyone else who did so much to make me (and others) feel so welcome, and providing food, etc., e.g. (in no particular order), Doug, Jim, Debbie, Chris.

Yeah, the legend continues. Supposedly soon to be made into a major motion picture, with RT played by Johnny Depp and Butch by Vin Diesel. (Not sure who will be cast as Colin.)

Seriously, thanks to everyone else who did so much to make me (and others) feel so welcome, and providing food, etc., e.g. (in no particular order), Doug, Jim, Debbie, Chris.
looking at his old avatar I'd say Daniel Day-Lewis would be the obvious choice

Yeah that's soooo wierd and with Father's day right around the corner and all......

He threatened to etch dragons and flames into it at work. Though I think (at least hope) he was just trying to stir the pot...

Thanks to everyone who came to this year's ECG. The turnout was a bit light but it was nice to see some new forum members and non-forum friends and family.

Burl Source is hitting his stride with some highly figured blocks of wood I've never heard of before.

Once again I've been mistaken for Mark. I even wore my Dream Burls T-shirt. I'm starting to get a complex. Maybe Mark and I need to post our pictures side by side so people can tell the difference. No worries Mano, I had a great time anyway.

Myron, I'm so sorry. The wood you brought was the stuff of dreams.

Back