Japanese Knives Eating Out During Our Annual Japan Trip

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, SameGuy - ahh, finally the Tokyo trip you were looking forward to. If Sara/Jon are posting photos (albeit of 'meron bread' ahem :tongue:) then you should be sure to as well, especially any blade-related. D'accord? You do it and in a month when I'll probably be in Kansai again, I will try too.

Ah, Jon, I think you mean 'Shinagawa' - unless they've invented an entirely new name and place! :scratchhead:

yup... shinagawa... was typing from my cell phone

Looking forward to many more of your (and Sara's) photos and stories! Bread is nice and all -- yes, the Japanese seem to have developed an incredible passion for the French baking tradition -- but I hope to see you featuring foods that are unusual to us in North America and Europe.

Keep'em coming!

well... I think eating out is finally getting to the point where I feel like I need to skip some meals...

We had unadon today at lunch.... it was unhealthy and VERY tasty. high five for our business meetings with tasty meals.

Lol Sara you look so happy to have some bread on the train.

Funny you mentioned that unadon was unhealthy :)

Nah, not bad if you have some vegs with it. Certainly better than that choco-melon bread stuff.

I wonder what the kilo count is now. How many days in Japan so far and how many kilos gained?

Nah, not bad if you have some vegs with it. Certainly better than that choco-melon bread stuff.

I wonder what the kilo count is now. How many days in Japan so far and how many kilos gained?

thanks to the heat/natsubate, i think we're doing ok

easily 50000 cal for sure. sad :(

Jon/Sara,
Facebook photos look awesome. Especially the grilled meat & seafood setup. Those shortribs (?) made my coffee and bagel seem so lackluster. Excuse my ingnorance of Japanese food, but what do you call that style of dining with the little tableside grill (assuming that's what it was...)?

Keep 'me coming, we're living vicariously through you.

jon is taking a lot of photos of our serious dinner etc., so i decided it's my job to take random photos of our snacks...

Yukimi Daifuku - possibly the BEST mochi ice cream.
20120925190813.jpg

Little ice cream - Pino!
20120926191031.jpg

soup in bread - what do you call it?
20120927124248.jpg

I never imagined that there would be so many baked goods in Japan, especially breads.

I never imagined that there would be so many baked goods in Japan, especially breads.

Probably has something to do with what appeals to Jon&Sara.

I'll say this - they have a strong feeling for comfort foods there. A fairly mild winter in Tokyo feels a lot colder - in the chilly Japanese homes - than a colder winter in Canada, for example, and so ohhhhh the wonders of a hot bowl of ramen or heated sake, not to mention trips to the onsen. Bread and baked goods are certainly comfort stuff too. And now Sara is back home and maybe enjoying herself.

Japan has fantastic breads and pastries and Japanese people love baked goods. Fruit tarts, profiteroles (IIRC, they're called "shu kureemu" or "choux cream"), cream pan, white bread or shoku-pan (the fluffiest, best tasting and textured white bread) . . . there are so many great baked goods there.

Man. I need to go back . . . :sad0:

Jon, More pics please. My dream is a Japanese vaca.

trying, but from today we got even busier... started at about 6am today and just finished now a little after 11pm. tomorrow we need to get up at 5am ;)

sorry guys for not updating as often as i promised :( !

here's some more update :)

some simmered food - nimono
20120930181645.jpg

ekiben (meal box from a train/station)
20121002095311.jpg

possibly the best strawberry chocolate
20121002100804.jpg

Feeling really guilty for not updating for a while (I mean, for a very long time)....

here's some more photos!

Jon tried a lot of new sake, syocyu, imojyochu etc. this year.
img3654w.jpg

Salad @ izakaya
img3656no.jpg

img3655g.jpg

harumaki
img3661d.jpg

osashimi
img3662kj.jpg

tororoimo okonomiyaki
img3664k.jpg

avocado fry
img3666ev.jpg

tonkotsu ramen
img3687d.jpg

tsukemen
img3688xk.jpg

gyoza
img3690g.jpg

lunch in middle of nowhere
20121004115059.jpg

desert inspired by halloween :)
20121004192256.jpg

two in one ice cream
photocgup.jpg

sweet potato pastry
photo1nw.jpg

why are we not updating more? well, it's all because of this massive kiln (Gesshin Gama)
photo2md.jpg

Back