Egg Cooking Technique Secrets

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put eggs directly from the fridge into cold water and bring to a boil over high heat, as,soon as it boils I turn off the heat and cover the pan, 9 or 10 minutes and I empty the pan and run cold water into it till the eggs are cooled. The yolks are just set in the middle.

I'm going to try that method.

k.

Great info re. eggs on this thread :hungry:
Picked-up the issue of Bon Appetit magazine at the bookstore today and realized I have not been to a bookstore in a very long time - an unexpected treat - sort of :thumbsup:

I put eggs directly from the fridge into cold water and bring to a boil over high heat, as,soon as it boils I turn off the heat and cover the pan, 9 or 10 minutes and I empty the pan and run cold water into it till the eggs are cooled. The yolks are just set in the middle.

This.

Breakfast this morning:
2012-04-21%25252010.00.16.jpg

I use this method, and vary the time. I prick the eggs, cold from the fridge, bring until just to the boil, then about 10 minutes for just setting large, to as much as 15 - 16 minutes for x large where you want a solid, but not greened yolk. I go from the pan to ice bath. Once cooled, I quickly (15 seconds or so) dip them in almost boiling water - the shell expands and peels very easily at that point.

Having said all that - once I bought a thermal circulator I tend to use that. You can really dial in how much you want the yoke cooked.

Anybody have any egg cooking secrets?

Not really a secret but if I'm doing soft boiled eggs I add a teaspoon of baking soda to the water in the last minute of cooking. The shells pop right off and you get nice smooth soft boiled eggs as long as you do your part with the timing. At home I tend to cook about six eggs at a time in a 2 qt pan. I allow the eggs to come up to room temperature so they don't crack when I set them in the pot of boiling water. Six minutes in the water, two under running cold water.

Dave

Just got hooked on pasture raised chicken eggs from work. The flavor can't be beat /drool I got a carton about a month ago and munched right through em. My wife replaced it with general production eggs and the flavor was lacking, got another carton of the good ones and I'm never going back to conventional eggs again :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXAJAyLdUXU

DROOL, done this at work a few times lol

We buy eggs from our favourite bio-dynamic winery 15 minutes away from us, they keep a coop and also sell vegetables from their garden. You're right, after having farm eggs you can't go back to regular supermarket ones.

A tip for peeling is. Smash down as if you are going to crack a raw egg shell. Then roll the shell on your board back n fourth once or twice. Then peel from the smashed portion should come off in one peel very easily. I candi a whole case this way in about 5-8 minutes

I just blow the damn thing out.....UUUHHHH that sound BAD...but that's how it's done.

I just blow the damn thing out.....UUUHHHH that sound BAD...but that's how it's done.

I used to blow the shells off, but I found that it didn't work well (or at all) on eggs that were hard to peel in the first place. You can search YouTube if you want videos of how to blow your egg out of the shell. It's pretty cool actually (when it works). Fresh eggs are more difficult to peel in general, so usually let mine sit in the fridge for a couple of weeks to 'age' them a bit and then hard boil them.

k.

Use baking soda in the water and they will be easy to peel even on very soft boiled eggs.

Dave

Thanks for the tip, and through the glory of YouTube, there is someone who uses the baking soda and blows the egg out of the shell.

[video=youtube;PN2gYHJNT3Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN2gYHJNT3Y[/video]

k.

Yeah but if ya boil the eggs 12 minutes they are so over cooked you won't need baking soda. That trick works best on soft boiled eggs that are often very hard to peel. I never understood the oral fixation with eggs. Just peel them. LOL

Dave

I just watched a Day in the Life about Tim Ferriss. He's got a book coming out called "The 4 Hour Chef". I wonder if it will be good. Supposed to have "the principles and methods for learning anything" in it.

Do you guys have any tips for making eggs sunny side up? Also I wanted to know what you all thought about this:
[video=youtube;gTpqutgqKQ4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTpqutgqKQ4&list=FLTpn9BzRTsbvOT6rxVpOBwg&index=9&feature=plpp_video[/video]

I tried it myself and it came out okay for me. I had a few problems, mostly because I was using eggs from the store and not fresh eggs as he recommends.

That video doesn't do a thing for me. If I want ham for breakfast, I fry a nice slice of bone-in or country ham in bit of butter/canola oil mix until it is nice and caramelized all over.

With regards to sunny-side eggs, I fry mine with a heaping teaspoon of rendered bacon fat in my well-seasoned #3 Griswold cast iron skillet on medium heat (probably medium-high if you're not using cast iron). What I'm looking for is nicely browned and crispy edges on the egg whites, just the way my Grandma used to do it. Then a pinch of kosher salt and a couple of twists of my Unicorn Magnum pepper grinder and I'm good to go, with some challah toast soldiers.

those are not actual sunny side up. They would be considered basted. Sunny side up would never be cooked any way on the top. Pretty much just cooked on 1 side until the whites are cooked all the way through. You can do this by turning down the heat just like he did in the vid.

I must have numb taste buds, because I have never had bitter egg whites.

+1 on what both Crothcipt and SpikeC said, this guy is another internet g-ball who thinks he knows more than he does.

I've never had eggs with nicely browned bottoms and crisp edges that were ever "bitter", just like with my ham technique above these crispy caramelized bits are where the flavour is. Why do you think chefs use non-stick stainless pans and make pan sauces with wine from the fond left behind after searing or sauteing?

For sunny side up, I cook mine on medium until the whites on the bottom are somewhat set, and then reduce to low and cover to help the top part of the whites cook. Maybe a minute more.

k.

I didn't mean to say "non-stick stainless pans" in the post above, just "stainless steel pans."

+1 Why do you think chefs use non-stick stainless pans and make pan sauces with wine from the fond left behind after searing or sauteing?

This quote is unclear to me?

The best pan for eggs is seasoned carbon steel (debuyer is my favorite brand). this is the ultimate non-stick pan. The professional chef's that i follow, don't ever cook with teflon coated pans. Those are uniquely reserved for people that own Cutco.

Every time I see someone on TV pulling out a non-stick anything, I just roll my eyes. May I get another helping of PTFE with my organice free-rance expensive what everplease. Non-stick anything is marketing crap. I bet most people that use non-stick also love crock pots, or should I say, pots of crock.

For over-easy eggs--warm dry pan on medium heat for two or three minutes, add a pat of real butter (no margarine) alternatively a dollop of duck fat is also nice, or maybe both. bacon dripping are too overpowering for a simple fried egg. The pan should be warm enough so that the egg moves a little but should not bubble hard as to create a crust (denatured protein). Once all the albumen has solidified around the yoke, give a light flip, cook for 10 seconds, remove from pan and serve on a warm plate.

For sunnyside, same procedure but don't flip.

This quote is unclear to me?

The best pan for eggs is seasoned carbon steel (debuyer is my favorite brand). this is the ultimate non-stick pan. The professional chef's that i follow, don't ever cook with teflon coated pans. Those are uniquely reserved for people that own Cutco.

Every time I see someone on TV pulling out a non-stick anything, I just roll my eyes. May I get another helping of PTFE with my organice free-rance expensive what everplease. Non-stick anything is marketing crap. I bet most people that use non-stick also love crock pots, or should I say, pots of crock.

For over-easy eggs--warm dry pan on medium heat for two or three minutes, add a pat of real butter (no margarine) alternatively a dollop of duck fat is also nice, or maybe both. bacon dripping are too overpowering for a simple fried egg. The pan should be warm enough so that the egg moves a little but should not bubble hard as to create a crust (denatured protein). Once all the albumen has solidified around the yoke, give a light flip, cook for 10 seconds, remove from pan and serve on a warm plate.

For sunnyside, same procedure but don't flip.

Cnochef made a mistake and corrected himself in the post directly above yours. Also once the egg 'white' has gone from clear to white you've already denatured the proteins. Forming a crust is different.

bacon dripping are too overpowering for a simple fried egg

Please explain to me why bacon fat is too overpowering for frying eggs, that is a new one to me.

Pork fat is a respected and oft-used fat in many cultures and dishes.

After all we're talking about home-cooking here, not serving up breakfast at a country club.

+1 on the bacon grease, it makes eggs perfect. I don't have duck fat in stock anyway!

+1 on the bacon grease, it makes eggs perfect. I don't have duck fat in stock anyway!

WOT!!! :bigeek: LOL I always keep left over bacon drippings for eggs especially from smoked bacon.
With basted eggs I just do sunny side up in a pan, drop in a small ice cube and put a lit on the pan for a second.

Dave

The reason I do not choose bacon grease is because bacon is smoked. If you're actually trying to appreciate the cleanness of a pastured farm raised egg, to my pallet the smoke of the bacon is over powering.

Now if I were making some sort of egg sandwich, or were eating it with spicy home fries or something like that, bacon grease does bring a lot of flavor to the table.

Cnochef--My feedback was a procedure for cooking an immaculate unadulterated egg. Sometimes i'll finish them with a dash of pimento pimenton.

Back