Egg Cooking Technique Secrets

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol, i find bacon and eggs goes together like...well bacon and eggs. Used to know the egg lady at the farmers market when i was at Uni and would get boxes of 50 organic free range for £5 (about $8) for a couple of weeks every year when she brought in new layers, as they were the first lays and were all kinds of shapes and sizes. They were awesome eggs

those are the ones I use. Colored like a rainbow, my little girls always request the blue ones. The farm that get them from feeds them marigolds in their feed mix. makes the yokes look like an autumn evening setting sun.

Check out Lynne Rossetto Kasper's The Splendid Table interview f/ 04/14/12 w/ Dave Arnold on cooking eggs in an immersion cirulator. Listen at about 30:00.
http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/listings/120414/
She also mentions this was in Luck Peach. Gotta get me an immersion circulator device...

Re: JG's method, I've seen Ramsey do it this way. One thing Ramsey does differently is he salts the eggs after they start cooking. Apparently this is the typical French way of cooking eggs. Not my favorite way... and I think serving eggs in an empty shell is fussy and silly...

There's about a dozen different way I cook eggs f/ omelettes, to scrambles, to poached to over-easy... re: sunny-side up or over-easy I like a big non-stick pan and low heat.

Actually there are 101 different ways, right? 101 pleats?

-AJ

This thread is beast!
Heck yeah! My fiancee and I have been doing the eggs each morning thing for a while now and loving it, but my boiling technique is... lacking. Will have to follow some of the advice here to see if I can improve!

I picked up that Bon Appetit too and while I thought the Keller poached eggs turned out well, I didn't much care for the Vongerichten scramble. The polenta-like texture that they were raving about in the magazine just didn't do much for me and I just felt like there are plenty of other, more interesting ways to go about making eggs than that one! Our current favorite egg dish is a javanese omelette recipe by Vincent Price. It has green onion and sambal oelek in it and is pretty much single-handedly responsible for me starting to develop actual omelette-making technique, which was something that I always sucked at before.
spicyomlette.jpg

Now if only I could improve my photo technique....

I'm ready to give up on Singapore-style runny eggs until I get an immersion system. It seems obvious after trying every other method that in order to just (barely) set the white almost all the way through without the outer layers getting rubbery, I need a constant temperature bath at the point the whites coagulate (~62°C). I tried the ΔT method (i.e.: 1 L water at the boil in a small pot, remove heat source and drop eggs in for minimum eight minutes) and it came closest, but the outer layers were still rubbery and the shells just as difficult to peel off as most standard methods.

Just saw this ludicrous quote.

The best pan for eggs is seasoned carbon steel (debuyer is my favorite brand). this is the ultimate non-stick pan. The professional chef's that i follow, don't ever cook with teflon coated pans. Those are uniquely reserved for people that own Cutco.

That's like saying "carbon steel knives are the best, stainless steel knives are uniquely reserved for people that throw their knives in dishwashers." As a professional egg-cook who slays around a thousand eggs a day, literally millions of eggs since 1994, and in a dozen different kitchens, I can assure you that Teflon coated pans are the industry standard for eggs.

Seasoned carbon steel pans are for people who have the time and energy to spare looking after their seasoned carbon pans (like pro chefs making videos for you to follow). Teflon is the industry standard because it's completely effective, less fussy than carbon, less reactive than carbon, cleans faster than carbon, and doesn't lose it's seasoning when encountering volatile or acidic ingredients to incorporate in a scramble. If you've spent any time playing with your deBuyer pan, you've learned what's good and what's bad for your seasoning. That's a non-issue with Teflon. Don't get me wrong, I'm a total fan of carbon steel pans and have cooked many an egg within them. I can also cook an egg on a hot muffler without it sticking, but still keep a Teflon pan on top of my cupboard specifically for no-mess, no-fuss eggs.

I was keeping my trap shut, because I think I mentioned in the "one pot/pan" thread that my go-to is a Calphalon Commercial Non-Stick 12-inch omelette pan (with glass lid). I don't own Cutco knives. :)

Back