Espresso nerds in the house?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banjo1071

Reaction score
Hey
I recently ditched my Jura in favor of a La Pavoni and a 9barista, currently using a Solis Antistat Mill. And i cound not be happier! Whats your gear?

Grind on
Benjamin

Kafatek flat and a Cafelat Robot
Sweet setup. I went for the MC5 cos I mostly use Italian style med to full roasted beans. And my last grinder was a Simonelli Mythos One Climapro with 75mm flat burrs so fancied a change. The Robot was a revelation and far better, once temp control is sorted, than it has any right to be. In fact since moving to Germany I haven´t bothered setting up the L1P in my rented apartment because the Robot is so good.

Last edited:
Faema Urania (vintage lever)
Faema Faemina (vintage lever)
Cafelat Robot (new lever)

Mazzer Major with SSP burr set, timered, doserless etc.

Distilled water (RPavlis recipe)
Huky 500 roaster using Artisan

geek, heck no ;-)

That Robot punches FAR beyond it's perceived weight! it's my travel survival gear and I'm always in awe with how good Espresso turns out with it. If your daily need is like one double espresso a couple of times a day look no further.

Its foolproof and make great shot EVERY time. The only problme is, that it on produce only one shot at a time...

La Pavoni w/ a PID / pressure pump / group head pressure gauge
Craig Lyn HG-1 Prime

Only thing I can't do is churn out 3+ milk drinks in rapid succession and vary shot size enough for something like spro-overs. I have way too much fun playing with pressure profiling - one of my favorite ways to pull a shot is 3:1 extraction on super fruity anaerobic Latin American coffees @ 5 bar for about 45-55s. At the opposite end of the spectrum 1.25:1 crema bomb from something like an Italianate blend :)

At home I’ve had the VBM Domobar Super and now the Flair Pro 2 but if I had to make that decision again I would probably go with the Robot. Two hands are better than one. Likely to pick up a Decent when I move – if I can justify it, living upstairs from a roastery who routinely compete in world barista championships… I might just go lo-tech with nightly cold brews in a Clever, and skip the heat.

Pretty simple, Welhome 270S dual Thermal block machine and Eureka Silenzo, VST basket and shower screen. Also have a C40 and Flair for backup
IMG_2190.jpeg

Likely to pick up a Decent when I move – if I can justify it, living upstairs from a roastery who routinely compete in world barista championships… I might just go lo-tech with nightly cold brews in a Clever, and skip the heat.

if they charge reasonable prices for beverages cost of ownership of a decent may not work out, if they charge what seems to be 'normal' these days even a decent breaks even pretty soon...that said, opening hours is another thing to consider..

if they charge reasonable prices for beverages cost of ownership of a decent may not work out, if they charge what seems to be 'normal' these days even a decent breaks even pretty soon...that said, opening hours is another thing to consider..

"Normal" prices, these days, is pretty crazy.

....but it does make splurge bean purchases from boutique roasters a little easier to justify. :p

"Normal" prices, these days, is pretty crazy.

....but it does make splurge bean purchases from boutique roasters a little easier to justify. :p
agree, it's one of the same reasons I started roasting....recently bought some greens at 15 euro per kilo that cost 80 per kilo roasted..everything to keep the habit affordable

2019 Gaggia Classic Pro w/ PID
Sette 270
DF64

DF64 was way overhyped imo, I used it for a bit and went back to my Sette 270. Quality in cup is nearly the same, but the workflow is so much faster, easier and cleaner with the Sette, even with RDT. That said I do have a Mythos One clump crusher that I've been too lazy to install in the DF64 that might improve it. The stock clump crusher retains a LOT and creates regrinding and fines.

Rancilio Silvia and Mazzer Mini. Love em both although I'd love to try the La Marzocco Linea Micra some day. Sadly no cash for that...

you'd be amazed how little impact a different espresso machine in reality has, once a certain number of prerequisites are met the differences are smaller than most people seem to think.
grinder grinder grinder

you'd be amazed how little impact a different espresso machine in reality has, once a certain number of prerequisites are met the differences are smaller than most people seem to think.
grinder grinder grinder
yeah, I know. Just being curious. The grinder makes a huge difference, that's why I upgraded from the Quickmill Apollo to the Mazzer Mini...

Breville Dual Boiler and Mignon Specialita. Started out with a Silvia that ended up dying on me. Having dual boilers and a built in PID is just nice haha

espresso.jpg

I just saw this thread from the daily email - Talk about great timing!

I’m looking to get a new grinder. Any suggestions, or favorites to look at?

This is strictly a home setup with my Breville machine.

Thanks!

Back