EU Gesshin stones passaround - register here

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks krx927 :)

I will be away from 7th till 20th of July, but I suspect that should be OK as the stones are now going to berko.

The stones are now with Berko. Let me know where you are located and maybe we can figure something out.

Great, thanks! I am in Germany...

Then just send your postal address to berko. He got the stones few days ago, so you could get them in about 2 weeks. Then once you are ready to send them to me and I will let you know my address.

As simple as this :)

Do we have any updates? I just want to make sure the stones do not come to me too soon as I am leaving for a vacation today and will only come home on 26th of August.

i tested em and passed em on to bennyprofane, where they should be now. gonna post my thoughts next week, when i have more time, since im really busy right now. meanwhile a few of the pics that i made:

I no I'm reeally late in the game and also still new here, but any chance to get in on this? I would love to try them out. Absolutely fine if it doesn't work out. Just thought I'd ask, never no?:)

...I live in Finland.

I no I'm reeally late in the game and also still new here, but any chance to get in on this? I would love to try them out. Absolutely fine if it doesn't work out. Just thought I'd ask, never no?:)

...I live in Finland.

Damn, they've already been to Estonia! :)

Berko, thank you, I am looking forward to your feedback :)

JaVa, that is no problem actually :) Just PM bennyprofane (he has the stones at the moment) and let him know your address. We need to support our new members :)

Sweet! I very much appreciate this.:doublethumbsup:

Can't wait to try them out. Though this will probably end up being an expensive experience... :lol2:
Bennyprofane prepare to be PM:d.

Being active part of this community means more to me than most people realize. And I like to help when I can :) Enjoy the stones!

The stones are now en route to Finland.

Here are my impressions:

Overall, I really liked all the stones a lot, they give great feedback, are a joy to sharpen on and are fast. They are also beautiful stones, especially the 6000 and the 300. My whole family was impressed by the looks of these stones.

I've tried different kinds of steel on the Gesshin 300 and it always worked very well. My King Deluxe 300 was pretty ineffective for stainless, not so the Gesshin, whatever I threw at it, it had no problems removing steel. It does dish pretty fast and the stone was pretty thin when I received it.

The Gesshin 2000 is a great stone and one I would like to own. It seemed that it can do whatever a 1000 can do but leaves a finer edge and could be also a good one-stop for regular stainless knives. It does clog up a bit but can easily be cleaned with a diamond plate.

The Gesshin 4000 is another great stone, it still feels pretty coarse and is fast. I guess it could be used as a finisher for stainless or coarser finishes or as part of larger progression or for touch-ups.

The Gesshin 6000 was my favourite in terms of looks, it has a beautiful colourful pattern, it feels very smooth and is a joy to sharpen on, although the JNS 6000 seems a bit faster to me.

Overall, I really liked all of them and would be happy to have them in my arsenal.

Thank you Benny for your feedback, I am glad you enjoyed the stones Having a bit of fun is the main idea behind this little passaround :)

Yes, the Gesshin 400 dishes relatively fast - it was already missing about 1/3 of the thickness when the passaround started. That is why it is glued to a base, so that people do not worry breaking it. I plan to use it (or whatever will be left of it) for wide bevel and single bevel knives.

Thank you and JB for making this PA possible, I really appreciated being able to try out these stones.

Yesterday I recieved a note from the post that the package has arrived. We left to our summer cottage very early this morning so I'll be able to pick them up monday morning.

Can't wait. Most of my knives are in need of some tlc right about know.

Finally today I got a chance to steal some much needed and uninterrupted alone time which involved nine knives and four stones.

My apologies for taking too long, but also many thanks for letting me be a part of this. It just gets a little overwhelming at times trying to balance running a busy kitchen and (possible even busier) household with a super spirited three year old.

Excuses aside, the stones are drying as we speak and next week will be headed back to home base I believe?

It was fun and very educational getting to use the gesshin stones and I'll share my thoughts about them shortly. I just have to let everything sink in for a while first.

JaVa, while I have little idea what does it mean to run a busy kitchen, but I have a very good idea what does it mean to have s super spirited three year old :)

So no need to apologise. First things first. I will be looking forward to your thoughts about the stones.

So here we go...

I got to a weird start. I had been neglecting my Mac pro for a while and it was really dull. It needed some attention the most so it was first up. It didn't respond the way I thought to any of the stones going thru the progressions. I could see some steel coming of but it seemed like I could not be able to raise a burr. I was completely lost as it was not what I expected. After some trial and error I finally got it sharp and actually the sharpest it's ever been.

The thing was, the Mac is my most difficult knife to sharpen and on the King stones it gets a big fat burr that you can't miss. On the Gesshins the burr was very fine and delicate so it took me a while to notice it. I just kept trying to raise a burr until I finally realised it probably had been there all along. The feel with the Mac was very neutral, but left a little bit to be desired compared to the King, but I blame the steel on the Mac, not the stone.

After that weird start it was party time. I went thru all my carbon knives and it was all smooth, fast, easy and fun. The same thing happened with the burr. It was very small compared to what I get with the King, but now I knew what to look for. Last up was the HAP40 gyuto and the stones worked well with. The feel was completely on another level then with the King and just I wished I would have started with anything else in the first place then the Mac... Well, live and learn. The Geshin stones made sharpening faster and easier and all knives felt slightly sharper then I can get them on my King stones.

The 400 I used only on two Macs. They were the only ones in bad enough shape to benefit from such a course stone. I share the thoughts of others here. It dishes fast. It does what it's supposed to do, but my experience is very limited and not with such great steel. I would have liked to try it on a carbon knife, but none of them needed it.

the 2000, 4000 and 6000 were all very lovely. The 2000 dished only a little and in a good way. The 4000 dished just very slightly and the 6000 practically not at all.

For me the soaking was not an issue. I'm used to it. To me it's just one part of a sharpening session. Although the splash and go feature was nice on the 6000. I really liked the added step the 4000 brought to the table. It felt more natural to me compared to a jump from 1000 to 6000.

I really liked these three stones and I just might even end up getting them.

Thanks again Matus for letting me jump in so late. I really appreciate having the chance to experience these new sharpening stones and I learned a lot in the proses.

Hello JaVa, thank you for your feedback - I am glad you had some fun and got all your knives sharp :)

Yes, the 400 dishes fast, i guess I am going to get back only the PVC board with some epoxy on it :D

Let me just ask - did you always progressed up to 6000 or did you also tested the edge off the 4000?

I always tried the knives on the board after every stone so yeah. I really liked the 4000, maybe the most of the pack. It would be my first buy for sure. But I like the super sharp feeling you get with 6000 and as the time was limited I wanted to try every knife with every stone so eventually I ended up progressing the whole way.

Although with the Mac gyuto and petty I eventually backed up to the 4000 which worked brilliantly for them. Like I've mentioned before their edge gets ultra slick and the 4000 was just the ticket to give them the sharpness I like but leave just enough bite.

For most of my knives the 4000 would've probably been the best finish for pro use, but since I had the chance I wanted to push them all the way. Time will tell how they'll hold up at work. The Tanaka B2 nakiri has been great so far. Others haven't been pushed yet.

One funny thing, as the stones were quite fast, I felt I got the knives sharp almost too quickly with no time to evaluate what was going on? :lol2:

Why do you ask?

I ask as personally I prefer the edge I get from 4000 to the one from 6000, as the 6000 sometimes felt too fine for tasks where a little more bite is helpful. But then there is also the wonderful Gesshin Synthetic Natural (which I also have) which thanks to its mix of different grits gives a great combinatin of refinement and bite, feels very smooth, but is not quite as fast as the 4000.

Back