EU source for good rice (pref Germany)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all so I have been wanting to get into Japanese rice and there are a million brands out there, a lot of them at our markets I have seen are like super cheap brands that don't say what kind of rice I am dealing with. I am looking for a good eating short grain rice that also won't break the bank. We also want to use it to make sushi at home as we love to cook and experiment and learn new things.

Most of the time we eat Alnatura basmati (which I would like some tips of what is better as well).

So I am really looking for a good source preferably in Germany for some good short grain rice and would also love some tips for basmati as well. Would love to buy in bulk (5kg) so there is some here all the time.

Hello @e30Birdy
I don't have enough experience with Japanese rice.
But basmati from 1. Tilda and 2. India Gates are my favorites.
Greetings to Kulmbach
Hey @pewe thanks for the tip. I will have to check those out online. My family loves noodles but I am more of a rice person, just tastes better to me. Greetings down south to Munich

I was pretty spoiled in the Ruhrgebiet and Berlin having asian groceries, indian shops and turkish supermarkets in vicinity.
Now i try to carry as much as possible when i am in berlin. We also ordered big batch of asian noodles once. It is worth it i would say although not avery sustainable solution.

I do like Tilda myself and used to buy 5 or 10kg bags but nowadays find that even the standard basmati from Edeka or Kaufland is just fine.

Koshihikari is a really popular varietal in Japan. One of my favorites.
Yeah I saw that after a lot of reading I had done, I just didn't know which brand I should be looking for ever here. Seen a lot of stuff produced in Italy and stuff and didn't know how the flavor difference would be compared to Japan which has completely different soil.
I was pretty spoiled in the Ruhrgebiet and Berlin having asian groceries, indian shops and turkish supermarkets in vicinity.
Now i try to carry as much as possible when i am in berlin. We also ordered big batch of asian noodles once. It is worth it i would say although not avery sustainable solution.

I do like Tilda myself and used to buy 5 or 10kg bags but nowadays find that even the standard basmati from Edeka or Kaufland is just fine.
I think Bayreuth is the closest with Asian store and may drop in when I get a chance but from the pictures it didn't look like they have many of the "better" brands but instead the cheaper brands like we have in Edeka. I do want to try tilda though, we buy a bunch of Alnatura as my GF is big on organic food and we try to raise our kids with good food from all over the world as well. German food is super boring for the most part and I love foods from all over and trying new things and hope that opens our daughters eyes as well.

Yeah I saw that after a lot of reading I had done, I just didn't know which brand I should be looking for ever here. Seen a lot of stuff produced in Italy and stuff and didn't know how the flavor difference would be compared to Japan which has completely different soil.

I think Bayreuth is the closest with Asian store and may drop in when I get a chance but from the pictures it didn't look like they have many of the "better" brands but instead the cheaper brands like we have in Edeka. I do want to try tilda though, we buy a bunch of Alnatura as my GF is big on organic food and we try to raise our kids with good food from all over the world as well. German food is super boring for the most part and I love foods from all over and trying new things and hope that opens our daughters eyes as well.
I've had koshihikari grown in california and it's been pretty solid, guessing italian grown could be fine if so? Similar Mediterranean climate? Maybe?

Hey all so I have been wanting to get into Japanese rice and there are a million brands out there, a lot of them at our markets I have seen are like super cheap brands that don't say what kind of rice I am dealing with. I am looking for a good eating short grain rice that also won't break the bank. We also want to use it to make sushi at home as we love to cook and experiment and learn new things.

Most of the time we eat Alnatura basmati (which I would like some tips of what is better as well).

So I am really looking for a good source preferably in Germany for some good short grain rice and would also love some tips for basmati as well. Would love to buy in bulk (5kg) so there is some here all the time.
Quite a few options on Amazon.de. I've tried this and its very good

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/6124-Sus...ff-900f-cc1493362f11&pd_rd_i=B06WGNFLKM&psc=1

Next I will give this a go
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/6123-Aka...2ff-900f-cc1493362f11&pd_rd_i=B00NSR3HUW&th=1

https://www.nishikidori.com/en/55-japanese-rice

Excellent company based near Nantes in France. Have used them for years now, bit pricey, but top quality and definately worth the extra price - they often have discounts in their newsletter so worth signing up for.
Cool.

Not to be patronising, but if you want good advice about basmati brands, get yourself along to an Indian or Pakistani grocery store and ask - preferably a nice old lady doing her shopping for her family - it works for me ;) You might also get a some good recipes 🙏🏼🤷🏻‍♂️🙃

I like Tilda, and I bet that the aged Acquarello works well in the same use case...I found references to aged Indian rice but have not yet dug deep enough into that to find and try it...

I have extensive experience with Japanese, Indian, and Korean Rice. Been eating rice since I was a child. I am here to tell you the best rice that money can buy is produced in the United States. Indian Basmati is excellent, Korean scented rices are fantastic, and the sweet glutinous rice from Japan are very good. But the Calrose rices from California rule, as well as the long grain Basmati cultivars (popcorn rice) grown in the Mississippi delta in Louisiana are the equal if not better than anything grown in Japan, and Northern India. I have been taken to task by Japanese friends when I ask them what the best Japanese Rice is, they point out that Calrose is a top choice in Japan. Calrose is also grown in Australia.

In Europe you have the Italian cultivars, Arborio, Carnaroli, Roma, and Vialone Nano.

Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 17.34.03.png

71TLJRrmGdL.jpg

I have extensive experience with Japanese, Indian, and Korean Rice. Been eating rice since I was a child. I am here to tell you the best rice that money can buy is produced in the United States. Indian Basmati is excellent, Korean scented rices are fantastic, and the sweet glutinous rice from Japan are very good. But the Calrose rices from California rule, as well as the long grain Basmati cultivars (popcorn rice) grown in the Mississippi delta in Louisiana are the equal if not better than anything grown in Japan, and Northern India. I have been taken to task by Japanese friends when I ask them what the best Japanese Rice is, they point out that Calrose is a top choice in Japan. Calrose is also grown in Australia.

In Europe you have the Italian cultivars, Arborio, Carnaroli, Roma, and Vialone Nano.

View attachment 318823

View attachment 318824
Gotta disagree on this one. Any higher-end sushi/Japanese restaurant is serving proper short grain like Koshihikari (Japanese grown or not). Calrose is an okay compromise for price and availability.

Gotta disagree on this one. Any higher-end sushi/Japanese restaurant is serving proper short grain like Koshihikari (Japanese grown or not). Calrose is an okay compromise for price and availability.
Calrose is medium grain rice not a mochi rice, and is not a good choice for sushi. I very much like sushi rice with furikake rice seasonings. It seems like I have been using Mochi Rice grown in thailand. It isn't the price it is what I can get.

Not to be patronising, but if you want good advice about basmati brands, get yourself along to an Indian or Pakistani grocery store and ask - preferably a nice old lady doing her shopping for her family - it works for me ;) You might also get a some good recipes 🙏🏼🤷🏻‍♂️🙃
We don't have any of those sadly. We don't even have an Asian market unless I take a bit of a drive to a "bigger" city. We use to have a Russian store but they closed many many years ago, sadly because I do love me some pelmeni and sometimes I just don't want to make them by hand.

Many Japanese rice varieties are described here.
I have already ordered there.
https://www.nanuko.de/c/basis/reis-getreide-und-co/reis
Yeah I saw them and was looking at the yume nishiki. But they all say nice things about rice and how premium they are, even the really crappy off brand stuff we have at the Edeka so that's why I wanted to ask folks here what's good and what isn't. Some stuff is just straight a struggle to get. Even most the Asian stores I have looked into didn't have much but they do have the Thailand basmati with the big tiger on it.

Just wanting to learn from folks that know better than me.

We don't have any of those sadly. We don't even have an Asian market unless I take a bit of a drive to a "bigger" city. We use to have a Russian store but they closed many many years ago, sadly because I do love me some pelmeni and sometimes I just don't want to make them by hand.
Recently India has put restrictions on the Export of Indian rice including Basmati (long grain scented rice). If you are looking for cooking from the region YouTube. is your friend. But the old lady angle is a -good way to learn

What is interesting to me is Rice has been grown in the Mississippi delta since the mid 18th century. In journals written c.1820 you sometimes have references to rice being in the supplies of frontiersmen, mostly ethnic French from the Mississippi Delta. moving in the Rockies, and the Cascades. Beans and Rice were often stocked at trading posts.

Last edited:

View attachment 318823

View attachment 318824
What about Spanish rice?

Live in Cali, Koshihikari or Chinese Northeast rice are some of the best, tho very very expansive tho. Tho beware there’s a difference in Chinese North and Southern cuisine where Indica and Japonica varieties are used, whereas in Japan and Korea only Japonica is used

BTW there’s a World Rice Conference where they do a competition every year, last year winner is ST25 from Vietnam, tho there’s seems to be a bias towards fragrant Indicas

I think Sona Masoori is far superior Indian rice varietal to Basmati which I find too dry.

For basmati I’d try Golden Sella basmati rice. It takes 20 minutes usually and you have to soak it for 30 minutes. The ratio is 2:1 for cooking. It is parboiled in its husk and then shelled. It has a stronger flavour and soaks up sauces in curries well. It remains separate and can be a great choice for fried rice. It apparently contains more nutrients than regular basmati. Unfortunately I forgot the brand I got last, but it came in a burlap bag with a zipper.
Sorry but no help with sushi rice…

For basmati I’d try Golden Sella basmati rice. It takes 20 minutes usually and you have to soak it for 30 minutes. The ratio is 2:1 for cooking. It is parboiled in its husk and then shelled. It has a stronger flavour and soaks up sauces in curries well. It remains separate and can be a great choice for fried rice. It apparently contains more nutrients than regular basmati. Unfortunately I forgot the brand I got last, but it came in a burlap bag with a zipper.
Sorry but no help with sushi rice…
No worries, the family also loves basmati as that's mostly what they have always had.

I ordered some Yume Nishiki which is grown in Italy and was a recommendation from a Japanese friend. It is a koshihikaru variety controlled by JFC (Japanese food company). Will try this out and see how it is but also loving the good recommendations for basmati. I will for sure try the tilda.

If you have more, keep it going.

I ordered some Yume Nishiki which is grown in Italy and was a recommendation from a Japanese friend. It is a koshihikaru variety controlled by JFC (Japanese food company). Will try this out and see how it is but also loving the good recommendations for basmati. I will for sure try the tilda.

there's yume nishiki grown in both italy and usa. i prefer the italian grown.

Back