Everything Sous Vide

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bag the onions with 1% salt. They're going to be pulpy garbage at the end. But when you strain it, you're left with the most incredibly potent caramelized onion water. Your house will smell like French Onion soup around about day 2.5, and by the end your kitchen will be irresistably perfumed by the end of day 3. I keep meaning to do a cook in a large container with a bag of white, a bag of yellow, a bag of purple, and a bag of shallots just to compare notes at the end. Then blend them together to get the best balance, add demi glace, and have the most proper f***ing cuppa French Onion soup I've ever had.

You can also set it into a gel and then blend it to make a great sauce. Heston did that for some dish or other and I thought it was a great freaking idea. From the first time I did this, way way back in the day.... this was set with agar, but I'd use gellan now.

dikon_onion_gel.jpg

I was heavy in my SV phase, as you can tell. Everything on this plate was in a bag at some point (except for the toasted sesame seeds). The protein is a hangar steak that I pre-seared by deep frying. It got a final sear over a wood grill. Below is daikon braised SV in dashi and baby bok choy that was blanched SV with a bit of sake and rice wine vinegar. Some enoki mushrooms cooked SV with smoked shoyu. And a line or two of the sweet sweet onion water fluid gel going down the side.

dikon_beef.jpg

I think that's pretty gangster for a home cook back in 2015.

Also: USE A LID. There is going to be a crazy amount of evaporation going on at 90C for four days
It also saves on energy! So I always put something over the top to keep the heat in.

But what happens when your aquarium filler needs filling? 🤫

Lids work, but at 90C for 4 days I think I’d be worried about the water vapor and the actual sous vide stick. Most of them are rated for splashing or very brief immersion, constant water vapor in their face is an entirely different ballgame, and lids direct steam around the unit since the hole is the easiest point of exit for it

I’d probably be tempted to use ping pong balls in the water like they use in reservoirs in drought areas to limit evaporation. Reduces evaporation, not as well as a lid so it’d still need filling but it’d prevent a constant vapor jet by the stick and hopefully reduce its damage.

Obviously the countertop units folks have wouldn’t have any issues

But what happens when your aquarium filler needs filling? 🤫

Lids work, but at 90C for 4 days I think I’d be worried about the water vapor and the actual sous vide stick. Most of them are rated for splashing or very brief immersion, constant water vapor in their face is an entirely different ballgame, and lids direct steam around the unit since the hole is the easiest point of exit for it

I’d probably be tempted to use ping pong balls in the water like they use in reservoirs in drought areas to limit evaporation. Reduces evaporation, not as well as a lid so it’d still need filling but it’d prevent a constant vapor jet by the stick and hopefully reduce its damage.

Obviously the countertop units folks have wouldn’t have any issues
For my anova I have the Anova Sous Vide Lid. Works well

I bought a cheap storage bin (BPA free) and cut a hole into the lid to suit the circulator. I can do multi-day cooks with that without any water loss.

IMG_0132.jpeg

I simply filled up the water twice a day, and now do the same with the water container in the oven I'm using for Sous Vide..
(happy to have a water softener or it would be a PITA)

I used ping pong balls in the past, but they allowed enough vapor to escape that it eventually killed my immersion cooker. Anova replaced it (even though it was well out of warranty!) and I switched to a lid similar to what @Michi shows. The lid pretty much eliminates any condensation on the head of the cooker. (The ping balls also were a pain in the butt; emptying the water vessel was more of a hassle and the ping pong balls had to be thoroughly dried or they'd mildew. The lid is much less of a hassle.)

Back