Everything Sous Vide

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He is referring to what people call the danger zone of sous vide temps, 40F to 140F or so, where bacteria can grow despite no air. So most sous vide proteins get cooked, a short rest to re-absorb juices, then ice bath and fridge temps for safety. Then final hot cook method before plating.
You won't have a problem if its under 6 hours, the proliferation of bacteria really get going after 6 hours under 60 degrees celsius (140F)!

He is referring to what people call the danger zone of sous vide temps, 40F to 140F or so, where bacteria can grow despite no air. So most sous vide proteins get cooked, a short rest to re-absorb juices, then ice bath and fridge temps for safety. Then final hot cook method before plating.
No, he's talking about getting water from the bath, that has been reused several times, on your food. Most people don't keep their sous vide set up all the time and keep reusing the same water so this is generally not a problem.

I’m surprised to hear the noise complaint; mine is extremely quiet, just a low hum. I’ve noticed that mine needs a certain minimum water level to avoid churning which is noisy. If I go just above that level, which is a bit higher than the minimum level indicated on the device, it quiets down a ton.

One of the fun things I like to sous vide is individual crime brûlée jars. Less stress and easy peasy vs doing it an oven. I do a similar thing except with eggs to make small single-serve breakfast cups. I usually put some leftover bolognese sauce or bacon jam in the bottom, then mix up eggs with cheese and salt to fill, then sous vide.

Here’s a video of the crème brûlée process from my IG. I understand you can skip tempering the eggs when doing sous vide but I’ve never tried it.

Very cool. Also a follow because I want to try your burnt ends recipe

The water that you’re using to circulate and cook anything in sous vide is a perfect breeding ground for nasty bacteria, if you’re not refilling it every time or very regularly swapping out your water. I don’t know why I assumed people that use sous vide would keep it set up with water ready the majority of the time like I do, but I guess I’m the oddball. Like previously mentioned, I like to warm my water ahead of time from outside my house to save time, which obviously wouldn’t be possible otherwise. So my advice probably doesn’t help very many people lol

The water that you’re using to circulate and cook anything in sous vide is a perfect breeding ground for nasty bacteria, if you’re not refilling it every time or very regularly swapping out your water. I don’t know why I assumed people that use sous vide would keep it set up with water ready the majority of the time like I do, but I guess I’m the oddball. Like previously mentioned, I like to warm my water ahead of time from outside my house to save time, which obviously wouldn’t be possible otherwise. So my advice probably doesn’t help very many people lol
Maybe change your water once a week haha

Gee, why didn’t I think of that? 😜

All kidding aside, I do. I also add a little vinegar to the water. With the frequency of which I use it, even just a few days of water sitting makes me nervous. So I dry off my bags.
Nice haha I can't do it like that, would make me anxious hahaha I rather add water daily, when I know I'm gonna use it.

i leave the water in the tub far too long for anyone's good.

got sick once. for not blast chilling medium rare meat, forgetting and leaving it on the counter for a bit too long, being to cheap (and gluttonous) to throw it away. better safe than sorry.

Very cool. Also a follow because I want to try your burnt ends recipe

Awesome, let me know how it turns out! I didn’t mention in the IG post that you should probably cover it with foil for part of the cooking to keep it moist. I was actually thinking of doing a batch this weekend - that stuff is addictive meat candy.

Recently rediscovered my SV when I was babysitting the dog at my aunts place. At home it rarely sees any use because I find it just as easy to just finish the meat in a low oven.
But... at home I have two ovens. My aunt only has one. So if you have any sides that require an oven you're outta luck. Have to admit it was really nice to have the SV as a fallback there. I also have to admit that timing meat doneness is easier with SV compared to a low oven.

Early on, one of the things I saw often was to not add salt to the meat until after the sous vide cook stage, as you would be curing rather than cooking. Now I see lots of Youtube videos that show salting before going into the water bath. Has something changed there?

as you would be curing rather than cooking.
That's not true.

You're talking about a big difference in the amount of salt, for one. Curing represents usually 2-3% salt by weight, vs a well seasoned steak would be .75%-1% salt. So you'd have to use twice the amount of salt that you're supposed to, or more, to get close to those results.

If you season the meat after it's been cooked, it doesn't have any time to penetrate so it won't be as flavorful throughout. It would still be edible, and good, but you'd probably enjoy the former version more.

Salting ahead / dry brining does have an effect on texture, and the further ahead you do it the more you notice. But it's not huge.

On SV....having used it quite a bit again during the holidays for stuff like home-made rouldes and other stuff where you essentially roll some concoction into cling film to run it through SV, I have to say it really shines there. There's just some preparations that are trivial in SV that aren't really easy to do any other way.

So, I just got a sous vide today and haven’t used it.

I have a vacuum sealed frozen pack of 3 ribeyes that are about half an inch thick. Total weight ~1.5 lbs.

Family is coming over in 2 days & I want to cook for them. Should I do -

1) thaw out & re vacuum seal with aromatics & seasoning and then sous vide?

2) sous vide directly from frozen in the bag they’re in? Would seasoning just for the sear be enough?

3) thaw and then sous vide without resealing at any point?

Which would be best & how long would you recommend leaving them in the water bath? I’d probably set it for ~125 and then hard sear since they’re fairly thin

I have a vacuum sealed frozen pack of 3 ribeyes that are about half an inch thick. Total weight ~1.5 lbs.

2) sous vide directly from frozen in the bag they’re in? Would seasoning just for the sear be enough?

Which would be best & how long would you recommend leaving them in the water bath? I’d probably set it for ~125 and then hard sear since they’re fairly thin
Definitely one, and you only need to do 30 minutes but you can do longer if you’re prepping sides.

I’ve done 1and 2. If I’m really paying attention to fine distinctions, 1 would be my preference.
I’ve cooked steaks in an immersion cooker without thawing and without flavoring agents, and they turned out really good also. You just need to add an hour to cooking time if they’re frozen and season when you sear.

I’ve done 1and 2. If I’m really paying attention to fine distinctions, 1 would be my preference.
I’ve cooked steaks in an immersion cooker without thawing and without flavoring agents, and they turned out really good also. You just need to add an hour to cooking time if they’re frozen and season when you sear.
Think 2 hours is enough for 1.5lbs from frozen?

For sous vide, Anova and Breville Joule are the most popular ones, but there are tons of others now. They all seem to work. Personally, I'd avoid the Joule because it can only be controlled via a phone app. Something with physical controls on the device is quicker and easier. I'd avoid bells and whistles such as Bluetooth and Wifi connectivity. They usually don't work all that well, have connectivity problems, and add close to zero value. More trouble than it's worth.

I use a Luvele vacuum sealer, which works well. Again, there are lots of others. Foodsaver, Anova, Nesco, etc. I'd look around for reviews on the web. Wirecutter did one recently. Perfection would be a chamber vacuum sealer. Those things are great and suitable for liquids. But they are large, heavy, and expensive.
I have 2 of the Joules. The first one was purchased within months of their release. They have both been solid devices for years (I bought the second one before they were Breville). They were smaller than the anova offerings at the time - I'm not sure if that's the case now.

That said, while I don't regret buying them - I do think the lack of physical controls @Michi brought up is a good point. I have used the cloud controls for years, and pre-covid when I was working remotely it was nice to be able to configure it and set it to run on my commute home. Someone at home was able to put in a pre-prepared vacuum sealed meal and it would cook on my long drive home. If I got stuck in traffic - not a big deal.

Nowadays, I work remotely so I use it less and I am tending to use more traditional cooking methods again.

ex:
I prefer a reverse sear method for steaks vs sous vide for the improved crust.
Braising in a dutch oven is faster, creates browning and improves the depth of flavor vs sous vide

Still very convenient for things like pre-buttered corn on the cob though, or keeping a side dish at temp while you cook something else less predictable.

Sous Vide Supreme and Catering Depot vacuum sealer that I bought in Hong Kong about 12 years ago. Never had a problem with either one. Probably my two favorite countertop appliances.
CF401F05-E9AE-45F8-B939-87AF9BCA89CC.jpeg

Ziploc freezer bags work fine for low temp SV, but it's important to buy the name brand and to make sure it's a freezer bag. And don't use them at higher SV temps (e.g., 180F+) where polyethylene will start to soften. I have never had one fail, and I've been using a circulator for over a decade. As mentioned upthread, you can exclude the air from zip-top bags using the displacement method. There's no better way to do it, though it does work better if you add a bit of oil to the bag along with your meat.

That doesn't really help the OP out though, because he's looking do to "cook->chill" and that's where you really need a proper vacuum sealer. The good news is that most of the cheap edge sealers work just fine. America's Test Kitchen likes the Nesco Deluxe Food VS-12. Chamber vacs are nice to have but aren't really necessary. If I was only going to do smaller portions (and maybe a small roast every once in a while, I'd probably go with the Anova chamber vacuum, which has a small form factor and looks like a great value. I've seen a few people who were happy with the smaller Avid Armor chamber vacuums too, which are also inexpensive. Part of me bets that these come from the same factory as the Anovas. Or at least the same neighborhood in Shenzhen.

I'll also add that it takes the same amount of time to reheat a chicken breast or steak SV as it does to cook it from raw. I didn't find there to be a huge time savings in batch cooking individual portions (if they were later served hot). There can be a real financial savings, however, if you buy in bulk on sale, vacuum seal, and then cook->freeze. But most of that savings comes from the vacuum sealing, not the sous viding.

Not sure where you are based, but here the bags give a time+temp duration on the packaging - up to 90C for 55 mins, for eg.

Yeah, I do things like cook onions SV at 90C for 100 hours, and Zippies are garbage for those kinds of tasks.

Back