Feather Damascus Suji and Gyuto WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some details I got with this rather nice piece of stabilized horse chestnut.

"This block came from a tree planted in 1727 on the Duke of Buccleuch's Northamptonshire estate. Nearly 300 years old. They have the planting records of every tree ever planted on the estate.."
Now, THAT is special. I love these sorts of details.

Its a lovely bit of wood, subtle and yummy, hope he cuts down some more of the estate soon:D

WOW!!!! ....It's always nice to have a bit of history ( if any) and that makes it really special...

I suppose the cylindrical metal bar is called a dowell? Now I understand... finally..

THought of of illegal logging comes to mind .. these days, helicopters are used to transport logs ( special rare hard wood )that has been illegally cut in third world countries..

Look forward to see the polished blade and wood together as a finished item..

Rgds

DL

This first one finished, only two more to go:D
Pics up in my Gallery here
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/4349-Catcheside-Cutlery-Picture-Gallery/page2
IMGP2033.jpg
IMGP1991.jpg

Thanks G-rat. I have 3 more in total feather blades to make for commission so it looks like I will get allot more practice at this pattern. I had to make a few tweaks to get the balance nice with the damascus fittings as I put this together. It balances on the choil. The ferrule is shorter than my usual but I'm really happy with the look of this one. I love natural looking damascus and think this piece nails that feeling for me. So i'll follow the same process, but i'm sure it will always come out slightly different, making each knife unique.
I'll conclude this WIP as its showed the whole process and update the others to my Gallery as they are finished.:biggrin:

Nearly time for the Feather damascus commissions.......I thought it might be interesting to bring back my old original WIP thread from 2011 when I was working out this ancient pattern and how to make it work with huge kitchen knives. Fun times.

Quite a few different variations since then and quite significant changes to my geometry and profiles as well......

A selection of pieces I have done in this pattern from then to now....

I actually still own the very first piece I made in this pattern from 2011, I had to make another for the client as this one had a flaw in the final weld, though it has never caused any issues in use, made it unsalable, it is important to keep pieces though for comparison, and I do need some knives to use myself :)

Thanks All

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the original today on my cutting board, many sharpenings, thinning bevel well established now, many times left out after parties, abused by myself and guests daily, never more than a quick clean back on a course strop to show the damascus pattern again. Very practical infact.

But it gives me an idea, would be nice to do and document a complete spa for the knife, tip reshape would be nice, thinning and blending, total clean up and re-etch,,,,could be helpful to damascus owners worked about giving their knives the proper daily use they were made for, after a tune up would be nice to document some cutting versus one of my current 4mm version mono's.......

Back