Sous Vide FEEDBACK ON NEW CIRCULATORS FOR SOUS VIDE

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tonight i put in pork tenderloin with thyme, rosmary, confit garlic, and confit sweet onion... cooking until dinner tomorrow night ;)

Overnight is probably a bit long for pork tenderloin and you risk getting some textural issues. Despite what many folks believe it is possible to overcook sous vide and break the proteins down. The meat becomes dry but also wet at the same time and eventually breaks down so you can smear it across a plate with you thumb.

This type of breakdown is really noticeable with game meats that also turn liverish.

From memory try a 5 minute brine and cooking for about 45 for sandwich tenderloin to 100 minutes for the larger cut at 60c.

ended up taking it out after 3 hours... came out perfect (they were large tenderloins)

We do pork tenderloin any where from 59° to 64° and for 1 hour to 2 hours, after an over night brine. Always comes out killer.

I broke down and bought an Anova too. Can't wait to try it out.

And, :needpics

we did 58 degrees for 3 hours... no brine... in there with grapeseed oil that was used to confit garlic and shallots, said confit garlic and shallots, thyme, and rosemary, plus salt and pepper. Hard sear in grapeseed oil for the finish.

Also, confit cherry heirloom tomatoes in spanish oilve oil with garlic and thyme, made curry cauliflower, sansho and sweet shoyu bok choy, and some broccolini with chiles (but couldnt find my fish sauce in time to throw it in there too).

Sorry for the lack of pics... trying to do all of this after work or late night without waking anyone here.

I have a nomiku, which is replacing a poly science unit. Love it.

i know that i keep taking this kind of off track, but tonight i finally got a large enough cambro to do the things i like to do... tonight i'm putting in some granny smith apples with vanilla, brown sugar, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, a tiny bit of salt, some lemon zest, and, of course, butter ;)

Heating to 170 degrees is taking a lot longer in this larger container... its pretty slow to be honest, but its also almost 6 gallons of water, so its near the max of the units abilities.

In these scenarios, even with my polys, I bring the water to temp via pot on stove top. No point in "over working" the equipment.

And I wouldn't say that your taking the thread off track at all! This is exactly what this thread needs.

In these scenarios, even with my polys, I bring the water to temp via pot on stove top. No point in "over working" the equipment.

And I wouldn't say that your taking the thread off track at all! This is exactly what this thread needs.

Clip on thermometer and three quarters of the water, then use tap water to finish it off. You can hit a temperature pretty closely. Now that I think of it this may be a key to longevity for these machines.

The polys are the same in this way. Just another reason to stove top it first

i know that i keep taking this kind of off track, but tonight i finally got a large enough cambro to do the things i like to do... tonight i'm putting in some granny smith apples with vanilla, brown sugar, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, a tiny bit of salt, some lemon zest, and, of course, butter ;)

Heating to 170 degrees is taking a lot longer in this larger container... its pretty slow to be honest, but its also almost 6 gallons of water, so its near the max of the units abilities.

Just want to confirm your switching from C to F temps .

FYI, it does a hell of a lot better getting to 135f quickly, but past 165, it takes some time. I was just trying to see how well it would work to be honest. It was OK, but not great in the heating up regard. It holds it really well though, and everything turned out just fine. Also, made this earlier today...

Fried rice with pecan wood smoked bacon, crispy duck, and 63c egg

a805353e6da011e3b30c0a74897ab205_8.jpg

Awesome looking egg, Jon...that's on my list of things to try with my SV.

FYI, it does a hell of a lot better getting to 135f quickly, but past 165, it takes some time. I was just trying to see how well it would work to be honest. It was OK, but not great in the heating up regard. It holds it really well though, and everything turned out just fine. Also, made this earlier today...

Fried rice with pecan wood smoked bacon, crispy duck, and 63c egg

a805353e6da011e3b30c0a74897ab205_8.jpg

Depending on the volume of water- the poly sci takes a good long time to get up to those temps as well. Holds it no problem, but it's definitely beneficial to heat up some water first. You can pretty easily help the circulator by adding cold water/ice if it's above your target temp. I've done the two circulators in a giant bath before and it didn't work out so great.

Open some more presents this morning (Mom's been in the hospital so things have been a bit wacky) and got an Anova!! My 100 dollar vac sealer is crapola, so I will try my luck with some Zip lock bags. Chamb vac is next on the list but not until my birthday rolls around in June.

This thing is a beast!

Back