Fighters

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, This is a knife.

Loveless_LawndaleBB-w.jpg

We had an emergency room surgeon in a number of pistol classes who had an interesting comment on that subject. He said in the ER, about 15% of gunshot victims died, and about 15% of knife wound victims survived. It certainly increased the distance at which I figured a knife carrying bad guy could get before time to open fire.

I have about a dozen or so questions I would like to ask that ER doctor on the subject.

People forget that before carrying guns became the norm, most gangs carried knives because guns were too expensive. Even though most movies show the elaborate gun battles of the past, in reality most gangs, especially small gangs, were involved in many knife fights. Gang violence is actually what led switch blades to become illegal.

Fortunately, I don't know from experience, but some who do tell me knife fights are a nasty business. If you get in one, you are going to get cut, and though you may win the fight, you have a good chance of bleeding out before you can get to an ER.

This convinced me to always carry the 1911 .45, and to start shooting at a knife attacker by 21 feet. Inside that he can cut you before you can draw and fire, no matter how good you are. That has surprised a number of experts who did not believe it until they did some testing.

Seriously you carry a gun because you have heard knife fights are a "nasty business" are you for real.I lived in glasgow europes no 1 city for knife crime ,that still didnt make me carry a knife or a gun.I have found the most useful weapon is common sense and avoiding situations were you might end up in er.

When people get stabbed, they pull out the knife and bleed out quickly.

A bullet is made to expand and stay inside a person. People die from the shockwave of a bullet instead of blood loss.

In general, there is less blood loss from a bullet wound than a knife wound.

21 feet? Sounds like you have a slow draw. :D

Now me? I prefer to carry a true warriors weapon. :nunchucks:

I Bruce Lee could kick ass with them, then I'm sure I would be a force to be reckoned with.

The best weapon is always to retreat if possible. I had gun drawn towards me just once (it was in a semi joking situation - think Tommy from Goodfellas) and I just froze. Even if I had a portable nuke I would not be able to press the button. So I decided for myself that if I ever decide to arm myself it must go with some very serious combat training.

I keep a homemade spear in my bedroom for defense against robbers armed with machetes/knives, longer, bigger thrusting weapon vs short blades + crammed area = auto-win. Never get into a knife-to-knife fight without any proper training/experience.

If I were outside and someone decides to rob me with weapons, I'll just surrender my money to him peacefully.

Seriously you carry a gun because you have heard knife fights are a "nasty business" are you for real.I lived in glasgow europes no 1 city for knife crime ,that still didnt make me carry a knife or a gun.I have found the most useful weapon is common sense and avoiding situations were you might end up in er.

You didn't carry a gun because you live in countries that pretty much ban personal protection. I do agree, common sense is the most useful "weapon". I've been to every European country, and lived in Germany for three years, they are different cultures than the US. Plenty of dangerous places in Europe, I remember spending some time in Limerick, Ireland; I would not go out at night in most areas due to the shady nature of the place. Self protection is a basic human right, so yes, Keith is "for real". Life isn't unicorns and rainbows, and never will be as long as humans roam the earth. So really, the only option you have is to avoid potential conflict. Good luck with that!

@AFKitchenknivesguy
Please do me a favour and don`t try and turn this into a you europeans don`t understand are basic right to carry fire arms in the US thread .I have know problems with guns I grew up with them.What I found rather weird was that Keith stated that he had started carrying his gun after hearing about how gruesome a knife fight can end(wow what a revelation).And your right life isn`t unicorns and rainbows if it was maybe people wanting to attack you with a knife would start wielding it from 30 feet away giving you enough time to easily shoot him down in a clean and professional manner.In the real world you are probably going to be taken by surprise and if someone pulls a knife on you he is going to be pretty close to you.By the way I lived in the states for three years and I think i get the cultural differences ,my point being if you are attacked by someone carrying a knife in the US or europe chances are the outcome is going to be pretty messy.So I would have to agree that it is best to avoid potential conflict.

@AFKitchenknivesguy
Please do me a favour and don`t try and turn this into a you europeans don`t understand are basic right to carry fire arms in the US thread .I have know problems with guns I grew up with them.What I found rather weird was that Keith stated that he had started carrying his gun after hearing about how gruesome a knife fight can end(wow what a revelation).And your right life isn`t unicorns and rainbows if it was maybe people wanting to attack you with a knife would start wielding it from 30 feet away giving you enough time to easily shoot him down in a clean and professional manner.In the real world you are probably going to be taken by surprise and if someone pulls a knife on you he is going to be pretty close to you.By the way I lived in the states for three years and I think i get the cultural differences ,my point being if you are attacked by someone carrying a knife in the US or europe chances are the outcome is going to be pretty messy.So I would have to agree that it is best to avoid potential conflict.

Yes, in close quarters a gun will probably not help you much if someone is wielding a knife a ready position and your gun is holstered. I think we agree on this point, there was never a Europe theme in my diatribe, although I can see why you would think that since said countries are pretty restrictive in ways to protect yourself. Depending on where you go in Europe, there can be very different laws and mindsets, particularly Sweden. With that said, many Asian countries and Australia are the same way. It's best to master common sense and situational awareness before mastering physical self-protections.

It's not just the latter countries/areas of the world. I'm planning a trip to go camping at a national park in California. It's well known that California is pretty strict on their gun laws. Well, the places I want to camp have bears and mountain lions, but I'm not allowed to use a gun to protect myself. Note I wrote use...I'm allowed to bring a gun. Well, I'll practice our common sense/situational awareness credo and hope it works out...or I'll just practice my basic human right to self protection and blow that mountain lion away. I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six. Stay safe!

Yeah mate you should definitely take your guns camping.I have heard an unarmed fight with a bear or mountain lion can be "nasty business".You might also want to keep an eye out for racoons they might look cute at first glance but don't let that fool you into not executing your basic human right for self protection.When dealing with wild animals it's always better to shoot first ask questions later .They just don't respond well to dialogue and lack a basic understanding of moral and ethical values in my opinion.Enjoy your holiday.

I spent a few months living in a national park in MT. A handgun or a knife is basically useless against both bears and mountain lions; mountain lions because if they are stalking you, chances are you are not going to see them until you are mauled, bears because they are bears and a handgun round isn't going to knock them down. Good food containment, being loud, and as a last resort bear spray are going to be much more effective in not getting mauled by wildlife.
Some people don't like guns, other people do. STFU about it.

Also if you are in moose country look out. Those things have a worse temper than bears.

Back to the topic - I've had a Randall Model-1 since 1973. Mine is high carbon tool steel and has seen years of field use. It's a great all purpose knife, but it is a "fighting knife" by design. Look at the relief around the choil in front of the the hilt. It is large enough for the index finger to wrap around for thrusting and the pinky for stabbing. This locks the grip and lessens the chance of losing control of the knife in action. The nut on the pommel isn't just for looks it's for delivering a concentrated blow. I still take it with me on trips you just never know.

model-1_03.png

Back