Finally! My first Japanese knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll prolly end up getting a honesuki and a deba and a western boning knife... Damn this is getting addictive lol...

Sounds like a good plan.Consider it money well spent for your tools of the trade.

Between your petty and a honesuki, you should be fine without a western style boning knife. If you just want to get one because you want more knives, then who am I to stop you? :)

Hmm that's true haha. What do you guys use for filleting fish? a 150 petty seems a little on the short side for me.

606.jpg

210mm Konosuke blue 2 mioroshi deba

can that deba double as a 210mm gyuto?

No, a deba is a single-bevel with concave back meant specifically for fish or other butchery...would not work well for all-purpose knife at all.

That has to be one of the coolest handles. I just love the way the main body transitions into the bolster.

Will a Honesuki do fish?

It can do fish, I did once just to try how it works. It works like most other knives that are not intended for this purpose but has the advantage or more sturdiness when you want to cut the rib bones off the spine.
Honestly, for me a deba is the ne plus ultra on fish, although, I found that on skrei a narrow western filleting knife can be handy for sum cuts.

No, a deba is a single-bevel with concave back meant specifically for fish or other butchery...would not work well for all-purpose knife at all.

Hmm I see. Thanks. That's just another excuse for me to get another knife haha

Back