First Japanese Knife Recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sharpening is nothing to be afraid of, it's supposed to be fun.
Generations of men have sharpened their razors and tools. It can't be that difficult.
As long as you don't use powered equipment, you may undo everything you do. It's very, very hard to definitively ruin a blade.
Get yourself a cheap practice knife, but get one made of carbon steel. Cheap stainless is often made of inferior stuff that just won't take any edge.
Carbon steel is very easy to get the basics with: thinning, raising a burr, chasing it, deburring.

Thank you for that info. I'd have bought a cheap stainless at Walmart and probably gotten frustrated. From the videos I've been watching, sharpening looks quite relaxing which is something I can definitely use with a 20yr old, 2yr old and 6mo kids. Never a dull moment around these parts!

Inexpensive carbon can be found here.

Cheers

Thank you for that link. I didn't have a clue where I could get one.

Do you guys suggest only a 1000 grit stone? What's the purpose having multiple stones?

Good thinking.
If you truly screw up though, you can have it sent to me, and I can hone it for you for the cost of shipping. (I'm sure many honers here would do the same.)

Thank you for that offer, I may need to take you up it lol ;)

Figured you might enjoy a link to one of the best sharpening youtube pages here.

Agreed on carbon being a better steel for starting out sharpening than cheap stainless. But aren't those Kiwi knives stainless?

Doh! I hate to give bad information...and I have been misinformed myself. You are right, these are stainless, so sorry.

Back