First Japanese Knife Recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carbonext knives are good as well, and inexpensive

Thank you everyone for your help and input. I decided to go with the misono for right now. The main reason being the price. My kitchenaid blender had the audacity to die on me yesterday so that pretty much decided it for me as I had to buy a new one. But, we are going to Knotts and Midevil Times next summer so it gives me a really great excuse to stop by the knife shop for an upgrade ;)

congrats on the purchase!

your new knife will probably be a lot sharper than youre used to. maybe your technique is super safe, but if not then check out this video. its super basic, and based on german style knives so ignore the bit about steeling, but worth a quick look. just trying to help you avoid cutting yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGQltxIipFg&sns=em

now you just need a whetstone (around 1000 grit will do you fine while youre learning). and something to keep the top of the whetstone flat.

if youve bought from Korin already, then the kind of thing you want is something like this:
http://www.korin-france.fr/nos-collections/pierres-affutage/medium-nakato/mizuyama-medium-1000.html
and this:
http://www.korin-france.fr/nos-coll...age/egaliseur-pierre/peacock-stone-fixer.html

sharpening is a PITA for a while, but just practice and it'll get easier. learn to find the burr. holding the right angle will come eventually, just takes practice for your body to "get it"

keen to hear what you think of the Misono after it arrives!!

Make sure to take pics of your new knife when you receive it!

Yep the 440. I bought it from Korin so it should be here in a few days. I'm so excited. I can't wait to see how different they are from the Wusthofs

Congrads the Misono is a step up,should be lite nimble compared to your Wusthofs.Just keep those sharp blades away fr. the little ones.I like making Curry Stews too,good stuff.

congrats on the purchase!

your new knife will probably be a lot sharper than youre used to. maybe your technique is super safe, but if not then check out this video. its super basic, and based on german style knives so ignore the bit about steeling, but worth a quick look. just trying to help you avoid cutting yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGQltxIipFg&sns=em

now you just need a whetstone (around 1000 grit will do you fine while youre learning). and something to keep the top of the whetstone flat.

if youve bought from Korin already, then the kind of thing you want is something like this:
http://www.korin-france.fr/nos-collections/pierres-affutage/medium-nakato/mizuyama-medium-1000.html
and this:
http://www.korin-france.fr/nos-coll...age/egaliseur-pierre/peacock-stone-fixer.html

sharpening is a PITA for a while, but just practice and it'll get easier. learn to find the burr. holding the right angle will come eventually, just takes practice for your body to "get it"

keen to hear what you think of the Misono after it arrives!!

Thank you ruscal for the links and the info. I'm surprised Jamie Oliver uses German knives. I would have thought he would use Japanese for sure.

Enjoy your new purchase...but be careful because once you get the taste of satisfaction of working with a high quality knife you are just going to want to get more!

Thank you ruscal for the links and the info. I'm surprised Jamie Oliver uses German knives. I would have thought he would use Japanese for sure.

well, he uses his own brand of knives... at least when he's on TV... he's not short on revenue strings thats for sure ;)

Here it is! It's not as sexy as some of the knives I see here but it's quite nice for my first Japanese knife. I can't get over how light it is compared to the Wusthof.

9fb56bc9-c199-4bc4-a366-a8bb18f1377d.jpg

Here's a side by side comparison. Big difference.

7f4cc6e9-e241-4577-9cdd-b64012e4a62e.jpg

It's great!

Bienvenue au club!

Here it is! It's not as sexy as some of the knives I see here but it's quite nice for my first Japanese knife. I can't get over how light it is compared to the Wusthof.

9fb56bc9-c199-4bc4-a366-a8bb18f1377d.jpg

Here's a side by side comparison. Big difference.

7f4cc6e9-e241-4577-9cdd-b64012e4a62e.jpg

Really? I thought it was light as a feather. I can't imagine one being even lighter than that. Sliced through a head of cauliflower and cabbage like butter.

Profile looks sweet...congrats! Please let us know how it's working out once you've had a chance to use it a bit.

Cheers!

Yes I did. I've already nicked myself with it too lol.
That's great - I mean having chosen the Korin sharpening...
The Misonos come OOTB with a nice but overly convexed edge which is hard to reproduce. That's much easier with Korin's waterstone edge. You won't have to set bevels with a coarse stone, you may just restore the existing edge.

That's great - I mean having chosen the Korin sharpening...
The Misonos come OOTB with a nice but overly convexed edge which is hard to reproduce. That's much easier with Korin's waterstone edge. You won't have to set bevels with a coarse stone, you may just restore the existing edge.

Ahhhh sharpening. I think I may go buy a cheap $10 knife to practice on before I attempt it on a $130 one. I think I'd cry if I messed it up. I just had to replace my brand new cutting board because I accidentally left it outside too long and it warped and split. That was painful as they are not cheap so I definitely don't want to mess the knife up too lol.

It's been said around here that you don't truly own a knife 'till its tasted your blood.

So... Congratulations!

Lol Ty Ty! I do have quite the bloodthirsty blade for sure ;)

Sharpening is nothing to be afraid of, it's supposed to be fun.
Generations of men have sharpened their razors and tools. It can't be that difficult.
As long as you don't use powered equipment, you may undo everything you do. It's very, very hard to definitively ruin a blade.
Get yourself a cheap practice knife, but get one made of carbon steel. Cheap stainless is often made of inferior stuff that just won't take any edge.
Carbon steel is very easy to get the basics with: thinning, raising a burr, chasing it, deburring.

Ahhhh sharpening. I think I may go buy a cheap $10 knife to practice on before I attempt it on a $130 one. I think I'd cry if I messed it up.
Good thinking.
If you truly screw up though, you can have it sent to me, and I can hone it for you for the cost of shipping. (I'm sure many honers here would do the same.)

Latest posts

Back