First Quality Gyuto Purchase - <Opinions Needed>

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike Lee can be a little cantankerous at times but he knows a looooot about knives and is one smart SOB. I try not to argue with him, but if you can get him on your good side, he will open doors in your knife knowledge that you never knew existed.

Noted, and thank you for the disclaimer!

Saying that "this is the best knife" around here is only cause you pain. There are preferences, I like em light, nible and thin. Others like them heavy, thick and robust (but still thin behind the edge.

One brand that I hear almost universal praise for is the Yusuke Sakai. I'm guily as I have five of them. Some thick some thin and some ultra thin.

If a 240 Guyto Yusuke Sakai in White #2 doesn't send you into knife nut euphoria. Then you probably don't like thin knives.

good luck with your search.

I deleted a few post here. If you have nothing nice to say don't say it.

For what it's worth, I've used all of these laser-clones (own most of them) and the GC. Seb is absolutely correct. The GC doesn't belong in this group. In hand, feels similar in terms of weight but in use, its inferiority is painfully apparent. It doesn't get talked about much here because it isn't a great value either.

For what it's worth, I've used all of these laser-clones (own most of them) and the GC. Seb is absolutely correct. The GC doesn't belong in this group. In hand, feels similar in terms of weight but in use, its inferiority is painfully apparent. It doesn't get talked about much here because it isn't a great value either.

Can you break it down for me, please? I personally have no complaints about my GC Wa, after opening up the edge, but if I'm missing something obvious, I'm happy to learn. Bearing in mind of course that there is no universal "best" knife for everyone, it seems strange to label it as inferior unless there is a quantifiable reason -- which would seem to actually be subjective, in this case. Can you detail why you don't like it, with hard data? I honestly want to learn more and so forth, and I also don't place value in speculation. Hope we can discuss without having a heated argument :)

"De gustibus non est disputandum," as they say!

I own a cutco and it's also an amazing laser. Highly recoomended. Anyone who disagrees has no idea what they are talking about. Even if you own one and all comparable knives. I own it, it's amazing. Best knife in the world.

Back to reality, I have also used several of the knives being talked about. The GC does not perform like the other lasers being mentioned. The Yusuke Sakai and ginga both perform better and feel better in hand and while using in my opinion. But I have only used all of the knives I have mentioned.... I would reccomend trying one of these other knives at some point for yourself to see if you like them better. Do you have any knives to compare your GC to? Or are you just saying its amazing with never comparing it to any other J knives.

As for handles, 2 wa handles can be very different. I have owned some that are very skinny and light weight, some that are very thick handles, the length can vary, the F&F on the handles can be different. Yes you did notice the colors in the photos were different and we are all very impressed by that. Please though, maybe think "this person had held both knives in there hand... Maybe the handles are not the same. I fact, he has a photo of both knives in his possession..... Maybe the handles are different even though they are the same general shape." It's like 2 cars that kind of look the same can be very different from one another.

To the OP, there is a ton of great info in this thread. Honestly, I would try many of the knives recommended but not the GC. I feel there are better knives for the same kind of money. Also, I saw someone mentioned a kochi.... I do love that knife!

-Chuck

I would love to try the Ginga. How does it compare to the Yusuke?

Back to reality, I have also used several of the knives being talked about. The GC does not perform like the other lasers being mentioned. The Yusuke Sakai and ginga both perform better and feel better in hand and while using in my opinion. But I have only used all of the knives I have mentioned.... I would reccomend trying one of these other knives at some point for yourself to see if you like them better. Do you have any knives to compare your GC to? Or are you just saying its amazing with never comparing it to any other J knives.

As for handles, 2 wa handles can be very different. I have owned some that are very skinny and light weight, some that are very thick handles, the length can vary, the F&F on the handles can be different. Yes you did notice the colors in the photos were different and we are all very impressed by that. Please though, maybe think "this person had held both knives in there hand... Maybe the handles are not the same. I fact, he has a photo of both knives in his possession..... Maybe the handles are different even though they are the same general shape." It's like 2 cars that kind of look the same can be very different from one another.

Firstly, I am definitely not being rude or saying that the GC is objectively the best knife ever, or is superior to any other knife mentioned here, so I would appreciate less insulting behavior and more open dialogue backed up with actual hard facts. Everything else is subjective, and personal taste. I personally like my GC, and want to know, empirically, what is wrong with it, and why. As mentioned, I am totally willing to learn and hear people out, but without a real concrete reason, this is just squabbling.

Secondly, again, your insults are not appreciated, but disregarding that -- can you detail what is wrong with the F&F of the GC? As stated, I want to learn, but the objective "why" something is "better" seems to be ignored here.

Finally, yes, I have other knives, and look forward to expanding my collection and learning with experience and an open mind. You'll have to pardon my skepticism, but I really am just asking for concrete details.

Firstly, I am definitely not being rude or saying that the GC is objectively the best knife ever, or is superior to any other knife mentioned here, so I would appreciate less insulting behavior and more open dialogue backed up with actual hard facts. Everything else is subjective, and personal taste. I personally like my GC, and want to know, empirically, what is wrong with it, and why. As mentioned, I am totally willing to learn and hear people out, but without a real concrete reason, this is just squabbling.

Secondly, again, your insults are not appreciated, but disregarding that -- can you detail what is wrong with the F&F of the GC? As stated, I want to learn, but the objective "why" something is "better" seems to be ignored here.

Finally, yes, I have other knives, and look forward to expanding my collection and learning with experience and an open mind. You'll have to pardon my skepticism, but I really am just asking for concrete details.

I think you would be better off trying a Sakai Yusuke yourself. It would be the best way to resolve this matter I think.

It's on my buy list, definitely! I look forward to giving it a shot.

Do vendors (other than on eBay) generally offer the sakai yusuke?

Do vendors (other than on eBay) generally offer it?

The only one I know of is CKtG and they have no stock at the moment, not to mention a very limited choice of knives.

Bluewayjapan is an exceptionally reputable eBay dealer. Don't be afraid to purchase from them. Do arrange for EMS shipping rather than SAL, as it is well worth the price to get your knife in a timely manner. I've made several purchases from them and have never had a problem.

Rick

Obiwan, There seems to be another vendor offering Yusuke Knives but the primary retailer has been our go to has been Keiichi Omay OKA Blueway Japan. His integrity, customer service and response times are of the highest order. IMHO, his prices are very humble for what he provides to the US market.

OB just remember, if you want to fall in love with a nice knife, you can, but your search will not stop, the curiosity builds and before you know it your in line waiting for a ITK Devin Thomas. Oh wait, im talking about myself. ;-)

The only one I know of is CKtG and they have no stock at the moment, not to mention a very limited choice of knives.

Bluewayjapan is an exceptionally reputable eBay dealer. Don't be afraid to purchase from them. Do arrange for EMS shipping rather than SAL, as it is well worth the price to get your knife in a timely manner. I've made several purchases from them and have never had a problem.

Rick

Oh I don't fear eBay vendors. I just always try to support forum supporting ones. If he is and the "go to" guy for these blades, I'm happy to buy from him.

I would love to try the Ginga. How does it compare to the Yusuke?

I ... well now my girlfriend... have a 240mm Sakai-Yusuke wa-gyuto, and I own a 240mm Ginga Western gyuto. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in the steel and profile. Except for some variance on the handles, I can't tell the difference among Gesshin Ginga, Konosuke HH, Sakai Yusuke extra-hard, and Konosuke HD gyutos except my Kono HD gyuto seems to be ground a tad bit thinner (and quite a bit thinner at the tip). This might just be an abberation on my HD specimen. Yes, I own all these knives (redundance!!!!) except my gf now owns the Sakai Yusuke. I'm impressed that she has taken a liking to such a laser sharp knife.

I can almost guess that the same artisans are working on the different branded knives. They are that similar.

+1 for the Kochi. I went from a Shun Classic to a Kochi V2 kurouchi 240 wa-gyuto and couldn't be happier.

The Kochi has a stiff blade like your Shun, it's light but not too light, and very comfortable to use. I find the 240mm size to be great for a home cook like myself. I'm glad I didn't get the 210. Not sure if you find its aesthetics appealing but I think it looks bad ass. Based on your original message, the only thing, aside from price, I'm not sure I'd recommend it for is rock chopping.

Otherwise the Kochi is an awesome cutter, super fun to use, and it's easy to sharpen. I do find that it has a good amount of stickage but, having never used one, I assume the lasers mentions in this thread will too.

I had a Grand Chef, about the same time I purchased an HD. My expectations were met with the Konosuke.

I would say that a GC is a relatively lightweight and thin knife, but does not follow suit with regards to profile especially, as well as geometry, when it comes to the Sakai style.

I also purchased a Yusuke, but sold it, only because I favored the semi stainless of my HD, but the Yusuke is a special knife in this class. They are flawless, and packaged perfectly.

I will say that after years of trying knives, the Sakai lasers seem a bit vanilla these days...I like the Kochi and Ittinomon recommendations.

Almost fresh out the box:

HiromotoShiroko001.jpg

You can even see the sheen from the lacquer coating is still on. I agree they are a little vanilla compared to what's in these days. But they are perfect and that is something to behold.

Almost fresh out the box:

HiromotoShiroko001.jpg

You can even see the sheen from the lacquer coating is still on. I agree they are a little vanilla compared to what's in these days. But they are perfect and that is something to behold.

White 2?

I'm a new user here and want to thank everyone who contributed in this thread since it helped me a bit in making a decision on my first gyuto.

At first I was going to get a Gesshin Ginga but I live/work in a humid and damp environment and the stainless Ginga was sold out. I guess they'll restock immediately now that I've ordered something else.

Fetched one of the Sakai Yusuke 210s with higher hardness:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380724988733

Too bad it doesn't come with a saya, but I'll try to figure something out.

Hopefully I didn't make a tragic mistake.

I'm a new user here and want to thank everyone who contributed in this thread since it helped me a bit in making a decision on my first gyuto.

At first I was going to get a Gesshin Ginga but I live/work in a humid and damp environment and the stainless Ginga was sold out. I guess they'll restock immediately now that I've ordered something else.

Fetched one of the Sakai Yusuke 210s with higher hardness:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380724988733

Too bad it doesn't come with a saya, but I'll try to figure something out.

Hopefully I didn't make a tragic mistake.

I'd say you made an excellent decision. Personally I love the profile on the 210mm Sakai knives.

If you ask Keiichi (the seller) he will source you a saya. If it's too late for that, just make one out of cardboard and duct tape.:biggrin:

I'd say you made an excellent decision. Personally I love the profile on the 210mm Sakai knives.

If you ask Keiichi (the seller) he will source you a saya. If it's too late for that, just make one out of cardboard and duct tape.:biggrin:
Thanks and double thanks for the tip. Since it's the weekend, there might still be a chance, so I sent the seller a message. Not a huge loss though if I can't get one that fits great.

Reading around made me almost regret not hunting for an extra-thin one, but that's what reading on the internet does to a person...

Thanks and double thanks for the tip. Since it's the weekend, there might still be a chance, so I sent the seller a message. Not a huge loss though if I can't get one that fits great.

Reading around made me almost regret not hunting for an extra-thin one, but that's what reading on the internet does to a person...
Looks like I got hooked up with a saya. No retaining pin, but that's not a huge problem or a super-difficult project. At least it saves me from having to carve one from balsa or doing the tape/cardboard thing.

Looks like I got hooked up with a saya. No retaining pin, but that's not a huge problem or a super-difficult project. At least it saves me from having to carve one from balsa or doing the tape/cardboard thing.

Go to a music store and pick up a set of acoustic guitar bridge pins, anywhere from $5.00 - $20.00 for a set of 6 depending on material. plastic, ebony, boxwood, ivory, ect. they are perfect size.

Back to the original question.

There is no one gyuto that can be considered the best. One forum members perfect gyuto, maybe an okay knife for another member. To find a gyuto that works well for a person is a trial and error process. For most of us that is a good thing. Not so good for those on a budget.

How do you find a knife that fits your cutting style, without having a lot of experience? Get in contact with a vendor such as Jon or Maxim. They have spent countless hours developing their product. Most of what they sell has been made to their specification, not ordered out of a catalog. They also have a lot of experience, matching knives to their customers wants and wishes.

I enjoy trying out new knifes, as most members do. The Buy Sell and Trade section is a good place to try out knives without too much risk. Popularity of knives, rise and fall. I've been able to pick up some knifes that were no longer in style, at a very good price.

Jay

Obiwan, i'm late to the party, welcome to the KKF. Glad to see you over here.

Thanks Jim. Tons of great info here. I feel myself getting myself into tempting trouble, lol.

...To find a gyuto that works well for a person is a trial and error process...
It can be. On the other hand, I've found that quite a few knives that I thought were just okay at one point, are actually really nice to use. Sometimes it just takes a bit of getting to know your knife. Thinner knives are generally more beginner-friendly, in my opinion.

Back