Flipper alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m lovin it!

On a more serious note:

i love to have the freedom to call out flippers and to be able to flip. Neither one should be restricted here by forum rules.

I am a strong believer in property rights and the owner of a knife should be allowed to charge $1 or $1000 for a knife he paid $500 for. What others do with that information is their own right.

i personally would never buy a knife with the sole purpose of selling it (quickly), but if I sell a knife that I bought years ago from a then little known maker who has risen to fame in these circles and charges a multiple of those prices back when I bought it, I would price it accordingly...

No one would sell a Rolex, a house or a vintage car for what they paid for it if the market has gone up significantly in the mean time. Knives shouldn’t be any different.

No one would sell a Rolex, a house or a vintage car for what they paid for it if the market has gone up significantly in the mean time. Knives shouldn’t be any different.

The main difference is the community aspect here. But I agree, it would be unwise to sell a Shigefusa you bought for $500 in 2015 for $500 today (unless the condition was absolute sh*t).

Excellent recent developments in this thread, though!

I think its time for me to put some sense back into this conversation ... *Clears throat*

-=channels inner Kelly Clarkson=-

Here's the thing
We started out friends
It was cool, but it was all pretend
Yeah, yeah
Flippers be gone

You're irritated, you set the hook and line
Wasn't long 'til we called you out
Yeah, yeah
Flippers be gone
And all you'd ever hear us say
Is how this is poor taste
That's all you'd ever hear us say
Flippers been gone
See the real-you for the first time
We're so moving on, yeah, yeah
Thanks to you
Now we get what we want
Flippers be gone

How can I put it? You piss me off
Flip knives that you bought for a song
Yeah, yeah
Flippers be gone
How come I'd never hear you say
Sorry I took advantage of you?
Guess you never felt that way
Flippers be gone
Not like you bought for the first time
Thanks to you
Now we get what we want
You to be gone

You had your chance, you blew it
Out for a fight, out of line
Shut your mouth, I just can't take it
Excuse Again, and again, and again, and again

Flippers be gone (want you to be gone)
We help noobs buy for the first time
I'm so moving on, yeah, yeah
Thanks to you (Thanks to you)
Now we get, we get what we want
Not profit off those who buy for the the first time
Now we get (we get)
You should know (You should know)
That we get
We get what we want
Flipper be gone
Flippers be gone
A$$holes be gone

*Drops mic, flips bird*

I am a strong believer in property rights and the owner of a knife should be allowed to charge $1 or $1000 for a knife he paid $500 for. What others do with that information is their own right.

This is my general sentiment, charge whatever you want for your property. If someone wants to pay that price then great if not then you're priced out of the market. Time seems to be the determining factor on whether or not you're called a flipper.
I don't ever try to make a profit off of my knives but I'll keep them priced to the market - if that's more than I paid a few years ago then great it offsets the many losses I take on other knives.

This is my general sentiment, charge whatever you want for your property. If someone wants to pay that price then great if not then you're priced out of the market. Time seems to be the determining factor on whether or not you're called a flipper.
I don't ever try to make a profit off of my knives but I'll keep them priced to the market - if that's more than I paid a few years ago then great it offsets the many losses I take on other knives.

Yep!

if I’d sell all my knives now I think I could come at pretty much even = what I paid for them. That means I’d sell some for more, some for less than what I paid for.

I make exceptions though: long time “knife friends” are getting very good deals. In the past I have offered knives at a “bargain” price to them under the condition that if they’d sell them at a profit we’d split said profit.

But: I keep all my knives for years. That’s the main reason they might be higher priced in today’s market.

I just think it's real curious that it's not enough to simply be allowed to do something for some folks, but instead you must never ever even identify their behavior (much less criticize it).

The guy went on and on and on about how it wasnt "really" flipping, how what he was doing was justified by circumstance, trying to define away his behavior as not that thing you dont like by technicality, too. Reminds me of some other conversations.

In this case, I mean flipping is whatever. It's not the sort of behavior I myself would necessarily engage in, but that's immaterial. It's really not arguable that the guy flipped the knives though. Furthermore, this is the flipper alert thread, so it's appropriate to point it out. If the guy is so sensitive about it, he shouldn't have done it; that's my take. It betrays that he is likely aware, on some level, that what he did wasn't fully kosher.

I think its time for me to put some sense back into this conversation ... *Clears throat*

-=channels inner Kelly Clarkson=-

Here's the thing
We started out friends
It was cool, but it was all pretend
Yeah, yeah
Flippers be gone

You're irritated, you set the hook and line
Wasn't long 'til we called you out
Yeah, yeah
Flippers be gone
And all you'd ever hear us say
Is how this is poor taste
That's all you'd ever hear us say
Flippers been gone
See the real-you for the first time
Thanks to you
Now we get what we want
Flippers be gone

How can I put it? You piss me off
Flip knives that you bought for a song
Yeah, yeah
Flippers be gone
How come I'd never hear you say
Sorry I took advantage of you?
Guess you never felt that way
Flippers be gone
Not like you bought for the first time
Thanks to you
Now we get what we want
You to be gone

You had your chance, you blew it
Out for a fight, out of line
Shut your mouth, I just can't take it
Excuse Again, and again, and again, and again

Flippers be gone (want you to be gone)
We help noobs buy for the first time
Now we get, we get what we want
Not profit off those who buy for the the first time
Now we get (we get)
You should know (You should know)
That we get
We get what we want
Flipper be gone
Flippers be gone
A$$holes be gone

*Drops mic, flips bird*
Sounds like a hit man!

Topic is dead, but I'd like my two cents thrown in since I have a great deal of experience with him and I missed the pop yesterday. He exemplifies, in my experience, more of a community spirit than most of the people on here trying to crucify him (happy easter!). He's done nothing but look out for knives for me since we had a conversation a few weeks ago where he offered me a knife and I declined. Since then he's gone out of his way to converse about my needs and wants and has been keeping an eye on BST for the knives I'm looking for, tagging me in no less than 3 threads so I wouldn't miss them. He offered me first dibs on the 240 KU as well, knowing I was in the market for one, which I passed on because I didn't like the profile. I think its frankly absurd to try to define someone who flipped as a Flipper. One time doesn't deserve a label. There are plenty of people on here who try to sell for more than what a knife is worth. Please, absolutely call out flippers, but don't try to label someone as such for selling knives for more than what they paid. That said, I didnt personally agree with the prices he sold them for, but people still paid them and are happy with the purchases. It's none of my business, but bullying someone because you dont agree with them is. Grow up.

I know where you’re coming from, but if this is the key point we don’t need to have a discussion about flipping at all, because if someone is willing to pay the price, flipping is not a Problem. And if no one is, it’s not a problem either ...

I think the key point is that someone buys low with the intention to sell high to make a profit. Just because someone got a deal doesn’t make them a flipper. There needs to be a pattern before making a bunch of accusations that could affect someone’s reputation. To say or insinuate that no one is allowed to come up is ridiculous, and to try to label them a flipper is absurd.

Interesting to hear so many points of view.

I wonder. If someone was to place a knife for sale, like a shig, for 100 bucks, and you bought it as it would be an amazing opportunity to try one, how many would pass it on for 100 bucks if it didnt suit them?

Losing money shouldn’t be a prerequisite for taking part in a hobby, thought it is a usual symptom. Some times you make a few bucks, most time you lose a few.

I don’t think anyone has said that. And I’m not against flipping at all, mind you. I think the market makes the price. But I also believe it’s the right of the community to shun someone they deem a flipper.

Interesting to hear so many points of view.

I wonder. If someone was to place a knife for sale, like a shig, for 100 bucks, and you bought it as it would be an amazing opportunity to try one, how many would pass it on for 100 bucks if it didnt suit them?

i would not.

Unrealistic scenario though.

Would you give away a car or a watch that you inherited just because you got it for free?

I don’t think anyone has said that. And I’m not against flipping at all, mind you. I think the market makes the price. But I also believe it’s the right of the community to shun someone they deem a flipper.

Absolutely they have that right, but there’s a difference between shunning and giving someone a bad reputation

I think the key point is that someone buys low with the intention to sell high to make a profit. Just because someone got a deal doesn’t make them a flipper. There needs to be a pattern before making a bunch of accusations that could affect someone’s reputation. To say or insinuate that no one is allowed to come up is ridiculous, and to try to label them a flipper is absurd.
You are saying that intention matters, but this thread is meant to call out behavior as a counter balance for flipping not being against the BST rules. Agree or not but this is the mechanism in place. A flip is a flip regardless of intent or moral fiber of the flipper. I think flipping is natural for all the above mentioned reasons and I would rather people flipped here instead of what happens now and knives are being sold on other platforms and disappear from the community. I can also understand that many dislike flipping and flippers though. As for an imaginary $100 shig sold for market price a week later, would still be a flip and deserves being called out on this thread.

For me, I do not have enough information at present to form an informed opinion.

Knives were bought at a great price (We all know this)

Intend for purchase was to: Make a profit and/or try the knives.

We cannot know the intend. However, if the person has a nice track record, I'd personally give the person the benefit of the doubt.

My hypothetical scenario was extreme, I admit. The point was, if someone sells "Too cheap", I think many would not hesitate to sell at the "market" price or slightly below.

To me, reputation matters. I'd hate to be crucified for a one time occurrence (that I personally do not condemn based on the "evidence" as I do not know his reputation otherwise) if my actions were otherwise great.

getting your behavior labeled is not bullying.

dude aint a victim here. he may not be a villain, but he DEFINITELY isn't a victim.

There’s a difference between getting behaviors labeled and going on a 3 page argument/ bashing spree while making baseless assertions on everything from the originals seller’s intention to the “flipper’s” intentions.

And to be crystal clear again, my problem is with the bashing, labeling of the individual and horse beating. Not the labels of the transactions in question.

I stated how I felt, I’m an adult and available to talk to anyone who would like to discuss this matter or others (after Easter dinner). Maybe someone can help me recoup the 275 I lost on my tojiro, or the 225 on my shun, or the 100 on my kikuchiyo gyuto, or the 110 on my nakiri. You get one good deal and don’t lose money and a small group (of mostly people who tried to buy the package also) and they throw a fit. Like I said before I’ve been apart of a lot of other communities and have carried myself well.
I’m in the room though folks, you can message me like a big boy or girl if you’d like to discuss this more.

There’s a difference between getting behaviors labeled and going on a 3 page argument/ bashing spree while making baseless assertions on everything from the originals seller’s intention to the “flipper’s” intentions.

actually it's pretty awesome to see people discuss what consequences should be considered for someone's marginal behavior.

I stated how I felt, I’m an adult and available to talk to anyone who would like to discuss this matter or others (after Easter dinner). Maybe someone can help me recoup the 275 I lost on my tojiro, or the 225 on my shun, or the 100 on my kikuchiyo gyuto, or the 110 on my nakiri. You get one good deal and don’t lose money and a small group (of mostly people who tried to buy the package also) and they throw a fit. Like I said before I’ve been apart of a lot of other communities and have carried myself well.
I’m in the room though folks, you can message me like a big boy or girl if you’d like to discuss this more.

oh yes Im sure the best way to endear people to yourself is to be a passive aggressive crybaby about the whole thing.

Wow.. The guy sold some knives, he didn't murder anyone. Some people really need to chill in this hobby. And @tcmx3...he absolutely IS the victim here and I have rarely seen worse bullying...even on this forum!
Personal property is just that..PERSONAL. Like it..... buy it. Don't..... move on! Who or what got hurt other than some misplaced feelings. Wow!

Wow.. The guy sold some knives, he didn't murder anyone. Some people really need to chill in this hobby. And @tcmx3...he absolutely IS the victim here and I have rarely seen worse bullying...even on this forum!
Personal property is just that..PERSONAL. Like it..... buy it. Don't..... move on! Who or what got hurt other than some misplaced feelings. Wow!

l m a o

1617561422131.png

actually it's pretty awesome to see people discuss what consequences should be considered for someone's marginal behavior.

oh yes Im sure the best way to endear people to yourself is to be a passive aggressive crybaby about the whole thing.
Brother I’m not being passive aggressive. If you were the guy who posted in my sales thread that qualifies as passive aggressive. I said I’m available to speak to anyone who would like to about this.
This was revived because another solid member stood up for me. Thanks btw!

You could message me and talk to me man to man or on the phone if you’d like. I don’t think you’d be carrying yourself this way if we had a chat over a drink. I’d pick up the first round.

Back