Food and Related Myths or Highly Questionable Beliefs

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sticking a spoon into a half-finished bottle of champagne keeps the bubbles in.

What gets me about this one is how fundamentally ignorant it is. I would have thought that anyone with even the most basic physics knowledge from school would instantly realise that this cannot work. Sadly, not so.

PS: Shall we talk about masks? 😈
Funnily enough, a spoon in champagne should actually make it go flat FASTER by adding nucleation sites. Similar to a less extreme version of mentos in coke.
The best way is to roast halfway with just enough oil on the pan to prevent sticking. Get a lot of moisture out, then add oil and seasoning to finish. The result is less soggy and greasy and more brown and toasty. Oiling first traps moisture inside inhibiting Mallard reactions
Posts like this are why I love this community. Great tip and I’m looking forward to testing it!
I’ve wanted to learn how to hunt for years. An overwhelming fear of ticks and the many diseases they carry has kept me from it. Alpha gal is the scariest. I think the color would go out of my culinary life if I had to cut meat out.

Salt will retard yeast / sourdough starter activity, even in the concentration necessary for bread. It won't inhibit growth. The latter is self-evident as you can add salt to bread. The former you can test by doing 12 hour autolyze. If you use non chlorinated water and do not use salt, you have a good chance of getting your autolyze to proof if the conditions are warm enough (>70F). If you use chlorinated water and no salt, you get less activity, but still some. I know this because I've made weak bread because I used water I left out for a few days for a 12 hr autolyze and weird/smelly bread when I didn't use salt in the autolyze... 🤣

So, this has a kernel of truth, but people do take it way too seriously. Even bread cookbooks often say to add salt like an hour or two after you add the levain. I guess if you're a bakery and every minute counts this matters, but for a home baker it is just as easy to add salt earlier.

Just saw this. And yea, in home quantities adding an ingredient later on just makes it hard to incorporate evenly in the dough! For one loaf batches (which is what I always do) I always dissolve the salt in the water first to ensure even distribution.

Back