Footwear Poll

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I would take advantage of visiting my folks in the big city of Columbus, Ohio to try on different shoes recommended here. Been tough to find them! Have not found Sanitas. I tried on some Danskos tonight. They almost fit. I think a 1/2 size bigger would have been perfect but a full size bigger would have been too big. But wow are they narrow! Tried on some Bistro Crocs. I was swimming in the 12s. The 11s seemed to fit reasonably well so I bought them. At $44 they are about 1/3 the price of the Danskos so I feel like I won't be out much if I don't like them. I'll be trekking out to find some Birkis tomorrow for at least future reference. I didn't want to buy any of these shoes on-line without at least trying them on first.

-AJ

Birkenstocks for me as well. 50-60 hours a week for me and I usually get over a year out of them changing the in soles once. Make sure you get the Professionals.

I've had birkis, crocs, burkinstock professionals and danskos. All good shoes in their own rights. If you have $70 I would give some Mozo sharks a shot they are constructed just like running shoes but for work. Meaning non slip out sole Eva mid sole and they are a bit stylish. They have a signature series which which made me weary but they have taken care of me through 16 hr days and 60-70 hr weeks. I got mine from zappos.com Actually just bought a second pair as a back up for when these go out.

heavy black leather shoes with a titanium toe cap. Early in my training a heavy cleaver got knocked off the table and landed point first over my toe, bounced right off and I barley knew it hit me. Except noe I have a large gash over my toe on that boot LOL. I will always have steel toed shoes in the Pro kitchen...

I've had birkis, crocs, burkinstock professionals and danskos. All good shoes in their own rights. If you have $70 I would give some Mozo sharks a shot they are constructed just like running shoes but for work. Meaning non slip out sole Eva mid sole and they are a bit stylish. They have a signature series which which made me weary but they have taken care of me through 16 hr days and 60-70 hr weeks. I got mine from zappos.com Actually just bought a second pair as a back up for when these go out.
does water ever get your feet wet? those air vents on the side of the clog makes me nervous.

does water ever get your feet wet? those air vents on the side of the clog makes me nervous.

Yeah water is a bother at times but only when it forms puddles but for the most part I think my feet actually get wet once a week and it's really never that bad. But you are correct to be a bit nervous. Also I'm pretty sure if you use the whole what the call the triple fit system it covers up most of that bottom vent. I just love them because one night we were doing a truffle dinner and we didn't have enough micro greens to send out the fish course I was able to run across the street not shuffle or power walk but run to grab some from our other restaurant. If I tried that in danskos I wouldn't be typing this right now.

Anyone else have an opinion on Crocs? I bought a pair of clogs that I don't even know the brand they were cheap and they are really hurting my feet now, I'll give them tomorrow and if they're still sore they're going in the bin and I like the look of Crocs, can't seen many of the brands mentioned here in Blighty. Is there a long breaking in period with clogs? Never really worn them before until recently

Crocs are great if you aren't moving around a lot. I.E. line cook, cashier, etc. If you are running around a giant kitchen like I do, they are too loosey goosey. But for standing and minimal walking they are great. They are boat shoes, after all.

Just know they are supposed to fit loose.

Our kitchen is pretty small so they might be ok. I tried taking the strap off my cheap clogs and they're a little more comfortable though obviously I need to watch in case they fall off. I think I might like looser ones then

I will never wear Crocs. No arch support, bad traction, to loose. As for clogs you need to have some good insoles. Getting used to how they fit should not be a problem. Were does you feet hurt? By the pad, the arch, heal. Or is it in the legs. Clogs work on being tight around the pad of the foot to keep on, so no need for a heal of the shoe. If that is to tight or to loose you will have problems.

The whole right side of my right foot is very numb. I have a pair of insoles and I tried them but no change. Perhaps there is just an adjustment period, but I don't wanna hurt my feet for no reason either. So I am not totally sure what to do

:curse: ouch that isn't how it should be. I am not sure what is wrong. I wouldn't wear them at all.

I had skechers, and most recently a pair from shoes for crews that lasted six months at most. I finally caved and invested in a decent pair and got the Birkenstock London super grip. I like the width of the shoe so far but I'm still breaking them in which I hear is a pain with birkenstocks. Will report back.

i used to have the super birki and swore by them as the first pair lasted me like 3 years. after the second pair junked out on me after like 4 months i stopped spending that much on shoes. i have a pair of black adidas sneakers that i wear and have lasted like 2 years. ill stick with the adidas

I've wore Onitsuka Tigers for years and they are incredibly comfortable but I think I'll go for some sort of clogs now to keep H+S people happy

The whole right side of my right foot is very numb. I have a pair of insoles and I tried them but no change. Perhaps there is just an adjustment period, but I don't wanna hurt my feet for no reason either. So I am not totally sure what to do

Trash them. Spend money on good shoes. Sell something.

I had a pair of shoes that shrank on me because I left them wet and in the sun(my old crocs), and wore them anyways at the sushi bar. 65-70hours a week I was standing in those things, just a bit too tight. I got used to it, and liked that they didn't slip around so much, but they didn't support well.

The result? An ingrown toenail!

Which came with a complimentary Staph infection!

Which didn't get killed by 3 types of antibiotics!

And it kept me from being able to run for almost 3 years!

And I SERIOUSLY ALMOST LOST MY FOOT 5 MONTHS AGO. You see, Staph spreads to the bone eventually, and I was missing hunks of bones in my feet.

I paid a good quality podiatrist, and after a few months, I have no problems, and no toenail on that foot.

All because I didn't want to drop a C note on some shoes.

Buy. Better. Shoes.

Ok thats everyone for the feedback. I have decided to buy a new pair. After looking at a few UK shops and reading this thread I have narrowed down my selection to either Super Birki's or Crocs. Which is better? I am a size 11 and work in a pretty small kitchen if that helps

I just bought a pair of bistro crocs but only have 2 weeks in them cooking on the line. So far no complaints. I realize that's not a lot of help.

-AJ

If I am plowing a lone furrow someone please let me know, but I bought a pair of Bistro Crocs recently and I like them a lot. They are very comfortable and I actually like the way they look, they have sort of grown on me. They are almost a cartoon-ised version of clogs, they aren't trying to look trendy. They make my feet sweat a little but I can just take them off every so often

I used to like Super Birkis for the grip and water resistance, but I now swear by the regular Boston Birkis. Just superior comfort and breath-ability. I go through 1 pair a year but considering the hours I spend in them, that's no big deal.

I bought the leather Birki's wt. cork insert,only lasted 6 months before leather split at seam.Got the plastic(polyurethane) & inserted the cork fr. my wasted leathers.These have lasted 2 yrs. & are the most comfortable for long standing.I agree they are not that great for alot of walking.They are super easy to clean,I can see how they have become so popular.

One thing about clogs you have to be super careful emptying H2O fr. steam kettle or handling oil etc.Not much protection wt. clogs.

Birki all day. I like to use to pairs with different soles. Works really well on my feet. Rotate them every couple days, this is really good for your feet.

Shoes are the most important part of your daily clothing, don't go cheap on your feet.

I got a pair of Birki clogs and couldn't walk after a couple of weeks. I'm guessing after reading through this thread and all of the people that love them that it's just me and my crappy weak ankles that were destroyed from years of soccer as a kid.

I picked up a pair of Timberland 5 Star Pro lace up boots and LOVE them. http://www.amazon.com/Timberland-Mens-Five-Terrene-Boots/dp/B003K34X66/ref=sr_1_14?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1339647515&sr=1-14&keywords=timberland+pro+star. Super comfortable and plenty of support. The only issue is they don't breath all that well so they can get a little warm

Last edited by a moderator:
Birkis have that weird bump by the toes. Have a pair and hate them. Current favs are actually the new Croc Bitalli Bistros in carbon....wouldn't be caught dead outside of work in them, though.

I was going to ask about these. www.crocs.com is offering my company 20% off their "work" line. I'm not a fan of Crocs in general -- though I do have a pair for around the house, and my old Crocs flip-flops were the best I've ever owned (until the new dog got to them). The Bistros (or Batali Bistros) don't interest me, but I'm curious about the Barista loafers and the Work Hover lace-ups.

My biz partner just got me a pair of Mozo's...I was a little off put by the trendy bacon and eggs, and other various odd designs, but I gotta say they are super comfortable, come with three different inserts and have a ton of fun designs....

Mine are black with a red sole, and a red stitched skull motif...pretty cool.

1547846-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

WORD!

I got a pair of Birki clogs and couldn't walk after a couple of weeks. I'm guessing after reading through this thread and all of the people that love them that it's just me and my crappy weak ankles that were destroyed from years of soccer as a kid.

I picked up a pair of Timberland 5 Star Pro lace up boots and LOVE them. http://www.amazon.com/Timberland-Mens-Five-Terrene-Boots/dp/B003K34X66/ref=sr_1_14?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1339647515&sr=1-14&keywords=timberland+pro+star. Super comfortable and plenty of support. The only issue is they don't breath all that well so they can get a little warm

I have used Timberline as well they are good shoes,for long standing I like the cork insert Birki's the best,however for me the Timberlines were also comfortable & in a busy kitchen give more protection than a clog.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back