For the love of cutting: a cut-vid thread for all

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will have to learn more about steels soon. I'm still obsessed with getting my sharpening down haha.
Thank you. I'm learning to never trust what a knife says. It doesn't mean much. Too bad it's not known more so regular people looking for a carbon steel knife like the good Japanese kind didn't get fooled

Some words matter. Like the trade name of the steel: white 1, magnacut, vg-10, etc. These names tell you something about the composition at the very least. There can still be quite a bit of variability in heat treat and geometry, as always, will play the biggest role. But it tells you quite a bit more than "high carbon steel" which is just marketing. All knives are made of "high carbon steel."

Some words matter. Like the trade name of the steel: white 1, magnacut, vg-10, etc. These names tell you something about the composition at the very least. There can still be quite a bit of variability in heat treat and geometry, as always, will play the biggest role. But it tells you quite a bit more than "high carbon steel" which is just marketing. All knives are made of "high carbon steel."
Luckily I found this site. I would have fallen for some of those "high carbon" "carbon steel" scams

Latest posts

Back