For the love of cutting: a cut-vid thread for all

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I take a minute to do some quick spiral cuts with a paring knife to remove rows of eyes, but sacrificing a bit of the tasty pineapple is definitely quicker.

I have seen people do all kinds of stuff. Paring knives, melon ballers, peelers, you name it. I don't have time to be precious.

Great video. Love the commentary and great setup.

One point of correction, pineapples don’t grow on trees! They are bromeliads. Amazing plant really. The top of the fruit IS the plant. Stick it in the ground and after a few years another pineapple will sprout out and the cycle continues.

Also worth noting, since you didn’t specifically mention it, after it was peeled, if you needed to cut and re-stack to cut again, you pretty much always used a draw cut. This is absolutely the best way to avoid stickage on soft, juicy stuff like pineapple (and in general).

Now on to my own pineapple prep. The question is, do I use my usual pineapple and reining food release champ? Or try to be as cool as @stringer and use some vintage American steel?

IMG_0465.jpeg

No matter the knife, no matter how fancy it is. I always give my wife the first cut. 240 Flowing Clouds getting its first taste of produce.

She says it’s good, but after cooking the remainder of the dinner with it, I assure you, it is far from it. Beautiful? Yes! Good?! Yikes. It’s a wedgy boi. Cutting through an onion was nearly impossible, and doing fine work with the tip is hilarious. just so chunky. However, the smiles per miles is nearly unbeatable.

Chopping garlic with nakiri.

Put this in the ARM thread but I'll drop it here too. I think the three axis method for garlic is kind of a waste of time. But it's fun to give the little devil cleaver a workout sometimes.

I think if I knew how to double rock chop I’d do that more, but the 3 axis can be satisfying

After convexing with SR1000 and microbeveling with SG16000
we observe apparent asymmetry: pull cut is “too refined” while push cuts succeed. People talk about direction of tooth. This might show that phenomenon at work…?

Or possibly the difference in starting pressure (starting at belly vs tip) rounds the tomato skin into a geometry that better resists the slice.

Anyway, my less-than-fully-rigorous finding from ARM2024.

Random paper towel and carrot wedge test with my 270 Mazaki, getting up there as my favorite J-knife so far. Just need to get rid of that handle...

View attachment 312413
Super quick n dirty video whilst I was bulk prepping a huge soup for the freezer, but I was very pleasantly surprised by the grind on my new Mazaki during its maiden voyage.

It was surprisingly chill dropping through all but the girthiest carrots.

No matter the knife, no matter how fancy it is. I always give my wife the first cut. 240 Flowing Clouds getting its first taste of produce.

View attachment 305177

She says it’s good, but after cooking the remainder of the dinner with it, I assure you, it is far from it. Beautiful? Yes! Good?! Yikes. It’s a wedgy boi. Cutting through an onion was nearly impossible, and doing fine work with the tip is hilarious. just so chunky. However, the smiles per miles is nearly unbeatable.
Holy (!) I looked it up.

Would be a hard nope for me.
In general you should try to avoid the trap of buying things just because they're cheap. It's just wasted money in the long run.

Back