For the love of cutting: a cut-vid thread for all

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Btw what's the verdict on the denka?
I personally really love it. It’s a Goldilocks knife for me in that it’s not a laser, it’s not a workhorse but the overall tactile feel of it is very substantial. I know I’m not the first to say this but the edge / grain structure of his AS is otherworldly.

I might give this same test to the Denka and see what happens 🧐

Hate following Jayson on a cut video thread... *sigh*... It's like following @Lars with a cooking picture.

:)

This is my re-worked Yashima. Still some stiction but I think that is largely the surface. I'll keep toying with it.

Weak hand day so I'm a little shaky and you can see me jump on the radish. :oops: 🤪

All good though and I'm still pleased. This thing was wedgy and cracky before all the work.

Hate following Jayson on a cut video thread... *sigh*... It's like following @Lars with a cooking picture.

:)

This is my re-worked Yashima. Still some stiction but I think that is largely the surface. I'll keep toying with it.

Weak hand day so I'm a little shaky and you can see me jump on the radish. :oops: 🤪

All good though and I'm still pleased. This thing was wedgy and cracky before all the work.

I think I have the same cutting board as you. Or rebranded?

Playing around a little today.

I figured out why all the sounds on my videos seems so amplified. @ian gave me the idea to sit my phone inside a beer glass as a holder. Works great but the mic is on the bottom of the phone and the glass funnels sound into it. :) Never happens when not doing that.

Anyway, Manaka 210 in shirogami:

Munetoshi 210 in shirogami:

Watanabe Pro 180 in aogami:

Which one of these did you like the most?

I have been eyeing the Manaka and Watanabe and I have a Mune. I like them sturdy and mid-sized.

Which one of these did you like the most?

I have been eyeing the Manaka and Watanabe and I have a Mune. I like them sturdy and mid-sized.

All are solid choices. I sold the Manaka and still have the Munetoshi and Watanabe. In fact, the Munetoshi is one of only I think two 200+mm gyuto's I still have and I have no plans of selling it. I've wrung that knife out pretty hard, to include some decent chipping (my own doing) and it just keeps performing. I don't use it too much these days as my preferences are the smaller knives for daily use. But I guess that says something about it too. I don't use it much but it ain't leaving.

The Wat Pro is just a really well executed knife. Great cutter, nice steel, feels really good to use. Most of my passion is around iron clad these days so this knife also isn't getting a lot of use any more either but it still lives on my secondary knife rack so I guess that says something as well.

I should note that I sold the Manaka largely because it was during my peak exploratory time so I was trying out a variety of things and sometimes selling a knife to get a knife. This was one of those instances. So, not as much commentary on the knife itself as my preferences at the time. Kisuke makes a nice knife.

Not sure if that helps...?

All are solid choices. I sold the Manaka and still have the Munetoshi and Watanabe. In fact, the Munetoshi is one of only I think two 200+mm gyuto's I still have and I have no plans of selling it. I've wrung that knife out pretty hard, to include some decent chipping (my own doing) and it just keeps performing. I don't use it too much these days as my preferences are the smaller knives for daily use. But I guess that says something about it too. I don't use it much but it ain't leaving.

The Wat Pro is just a really well executed knife. Great cutter, nice steel, feels really good to use. Most of my passion is around iron clad these days so this knife also isn't getting a lot of use any more either but it still lives on my secondary knife rack so I guess that says something as well.

I should note that I sold the Manaka largely because it was during my peak exploratory time so I was trying out a variety of things and sometimes selling a knife to get a knife. This was one of those instances. So, not as much commentary on the knife itself as my preferences at the time. Kisuke makes a nice knife.

Not sure if that helps...?
I've been mainly eyeing the Watanabe 1-off's as they seem pretty unique and probably well done. I love my long bois but I really gel with the shorter knives as well. My Mune is a 210. It was thinned and polished by Maksim and it is an undeniable elite performer for its size. I have a few that size that cut as well, but there are other superlatives with the Mune that set it apart, especially for that price.

I am drawn to Kisuke because of his story and skill but I haven't tried his work yet. I want to try a shorter bunka of his that is iron clad. I like to try the cheaper lines of in-demand smiths, that expertise trickles down in my eyes.

Check out the iron clad stuff from Nao Yamamoto. I got an AS Hakata of his that has been a really pleasant surprise. Another that punches above its price point, isn't dainty, and is under the radar imo.

Back