For the love of cutting: a cut-vid thread for all

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vintage Masakane 300 mm gyuto from their old Yokohama factory. Best OOTB grind of any of the Masakanes I’ve owned. No factory edge because it’s been sitting in a box for like 50 years or longer so I put a steep edge on it, finished on a soft Arkansas that works well with old carbon. Smooth cutter.

What a joy a freshly sharpened Kippington Laser is! :)

IMG_2117.jpeg

IMG_2086.jpeg

Old video I found of test cuts of my Migoto blue 1 cleaver when I first got it. I had polished it a little to check the grind, but hadn’t done major thinning yet. Good grind, but I feel like it could be thinner BTE to get the most out of Tanaka’s blue 1. The steel is very wear resistant though, takes a lot of effort to thin IME and definitely not the easiest to sharpen but edge holding is very good.

@hibbs00 or anyone else for that matter.

I am always willing to do demo videos for any kind of sharpening or cutting techniques. Someday I'm going to have a real channel (fingers crossed) with professional AV production. So doing these videos is kind of like practice for me. Seeing what angles work and trying to figure out how to speak in front of a camera. And getting a lot of back stock footage to work into future videos. And I like contributing my experience and knowledge.

There's already a lot of stuff on my channel now. But it's not organized in any kind of way. So if anybody ever wants a little video on something I'm happy to put it together or probably already did at some point and I'll post a link. Usually I just film myself working or making dinner. There's no rhyme or reason to it. But if someone wants to see something specific I'm happy to oblige. I honestly don't know what people don't know or might be interested to see.

Just as a general recommendation I think doing a playlist of 'how to clean and cut ingredient X' in multiple ways / techniques and perhaps with different sized knives would be useful to 'the general audience'. The hardest part is... actually getting picked up by the algorhytm though. You can make the most brilliant content in the world but you'll just get drowned out by big boobed cleavage and cat videos.

For organization, making playlists can be helpful (at least I always find it helpful, don't know how many other people use them).

I think if you're looking at ways to improve...for educational videos I think it's better if things go slightly slower so people get a better idea of what you're doing (or do for example both slow and fast as example).
Commenting the how and why may also be useful (especially with something like taking apart a chicken where you're doing very deliberate specific things, like pulling on something to open up a joint, cutting through specific ligaments, etc).

I am always willing to do demo videos for any kind of sharpening or cutting techniques. Someday I'm going to have a real channel (fingers crossed) with professional AV production. So doing these videos is kind of like practice for me. Seeing what angles work and trying to figure out how to speak in front of a camera. And getting a lot of back stock footage to work into future videos. And I like contributing my experience and knowledge.

There's already a lot of stuff on my channel now. But it's not organized in any kind of way. So if anybody ever wants a little video on something I'm happy to put it together or probably already did at some point and I'll post a link. Usually I just film myself working or making dinner. There's no rhyme or reason to it. But if someone wants to see something specific I'm happy to oblige. I honestly don't know what people don't know or might be interested to see.

While i don't watch every vid (usually as I'm working), I do really appreciate the vids. I find it interesting to see the techniques that a high volume chef uses compared to what I do as a home chef. This is especially true when I suddenly find myself needing to prep in more volume. I find it more "valid" to see these kinds of vids from someone like you who still has to do this kind of stuff daily rather that some random YouTuber

While I ponder what I just wrote, it's almost like a thread where we could request technique ideas from the pros on the forum would be useful.

You are awesome! Thank you. Would you say your edge leading vs trailing video would be a deburring video? I struggle with deburring the most. If not, I would greatly appreciate a video on that. You're the best!

You are awesome! Thank you. Would you say your edge leading vs trailing video would be a deburring video? I struggle with deburring the most. If not, I would greatly appreciate a video on that. You're the best!

Yeah that's probably about the best I got on deburring. Light edge leading strokes with gradually diminishing pressure and gradually finer stones. Finish the apex with a slightly higher angle than your general sharpening to make sure you get there. But here is a few more pointers.

Don't overthink it too much. Just practice more. 90 percent of the theory is total BS anyway. I find that learning to sharpen is about figuring out the muscle memory that works for you to make things sharper. The people who have figured it out come up with theories as to why their particular strategy works after they are confident with their muscle memory. But at the point they are trying to intellectualize something that is much more instinctual than intellectual. I appreciate the contributions of people who are starting to investigate this stuff in more scientific ways. But staring at micrographs and watching YouTube explanations will only get you so far. You really just gotta practice. If you run out of knives to sharpen then ask your friends or family or neighbors if you can practice on theirs.

Another thing is when you come back here to ask questions, be as specific as you can. I know you are having trouble deburring, what leads you to that conclusion? Does your knife feel sharp but then dulls upon board contact? Can you still feel a big burr that you can't get rid of? I know you said you are using a 1k/6k combo. Which brand? Are you using as a soaker or a splash/go? What knife are you trying to sharpen? Etc.

And it can be very embarrassing, but don't be afraid to video yourself and upload it for us to see. It can be easier for us to identify problem areas with sharpening or cutting technique if we can see what you are doing. This is a no judgement zone. We all started somewhere. It is very easy to upload to YouTube as a private video and send us the link. Or upload straight to the forum with the Upload Video or Attach Files buttons.

And just remember to have fun with it.

You can make the most brilliant content in the world but you'll just get drowned out by big boobed cleavage and cat videos.

Belly buttons play well. @stringer just needs to bust out his crop top from the 80’s and he’ll go viral in no time.

(although probably for all the wrong reasons)

Yeah that's probably about the best I got on deburring. Light edge leading strokes with gradually diminishing pressure and gradually finer stones. Finish the apex with a slightly higher angle than your general sharpening to make sure you get there. But here is a few more pointers.

Don't overthink it too much. Just practice more. 90 percent of the theory is total BS anyway. I find that learning to sharpen is about figuring out the muscle memory that works for you to make things sharper. The people who have figured it out come up with theories as to why their particular strategy works after they are confident with their muscle memory. But at the point they are trying to intellectualize something that is much more instinctual than intellectual. I appreciate the contributions of people who are starting to investigate this stuff in more scientific ways. But staring at micrographs and watching YouTube explanations will only get you so far. You really just gotta practice. If you run out of knives to sharpen then ask your friends or family or neighbors if you can practice on theirs.

Another thing is when you come back here to ask questions, be as specific as you can. I know you are having trouble deburring, what leads you to that conclusion? Does your knife feel sharp but then dulls upon board contact? Can you still feel a big burr that you can't get rid of? I know you said you are using a 1k/6k combo. Which brand? Are you using as a soaker or a splash/go? What knife are you trying to sharpen? Etc.

And it can be very embarrassing, but don't be afraid to video yourself and upload it for us to see. It can be easier for us to identify problem areas with sharpening or cutting technique if we can see what you are doing. This is a no judgement zone. We all started somewhere. It is very easy to upload to YouTube as a private video and send us the link. Or upload straight to the forum with the Upload Video or Attach Files buttons.

And just remember to have fun with it.
Recording myself is something I will have to do. I use a shapton pro 1k and King 6k with either a wusthof chef knife or a knockoff master chef brand chef knife. I think I have trouble with the burr because I can never get them to push cut at the 90/90/90 degree. They will slice paper just fine and usually even paper towels but never push cut or sometimes still cut paper nicely but won't shave. The only time I did a real push cut was using the method I shared in the other thread with light 45 degree leading passes and then light leading passes back at the sharpening angle. But usually using that method it feels more dull. Your method works better for me, it's also what I learned from a book many years ago. Even with your method I can't 90 degree push cut. I always thought without a burr you can push cut. One knife has a hard time cutting carrots but other than that they cut everything just fine. It's just the push cut that makes me think I don't deburr correctly.

Belly buttons play well. @stringer just needs to bust out his crop top from the 80’s and he’ll go viral in no time.

(although probably for all the wrong reasons)

I don't have a much of a belly button any more. As I approach middle age all of the hair on top of my head has migrated to my stomach.

Recording myself is something I will have to do. I use a shapton pro 1k and King 6k with either a wusthof chef knife or a knockoff master chef brand chef knife. I think I have trouble with the burr because I can never get them to push cut at the 90/90/90 degree. They will slice paper just fine and usually even paper towels but never push cut or sometimes still cut paper nicely but won't shave. The only time I did a real push cut was using the method I shared in the other thread with light 45 degree leading passes and then light leading passes back at the sharpening angle. But usually using that method it feels more dull. Your method works better for me, it's also what I learned from a book many years ago. Even with your method I can't 90 degree push cut. I always thought without a burr you can push cut. One knife has a hard time cutting carrots but other than that they cut everything just fine. It's just the push cut that makes me think I don't deburr correctly.

You are probably deburring just fine. Push cutting paper and shaving hair is not necessary to have a knife suitable for cutting veggies or slicing meat. In some ways, chasing that kind of sharpness is counterproductive for a food prep knife unless you are mostly just cutting chives or sashimi all day.

Just as a general recommendation I think doing a playlist of 'how to clean and cut ingredient X' in multiple ways / techniques and perhaps with different sized knives would be useful to 'the general audience'. The hardest part is... actually getting picked up by the algorhytm though. You can make the most brilliant content in the world but you'll just get drowned out by big boobed cleavage and cat videos.

For organization, making playlists can be helpful (at least I always find it helpful, don't know how many other people use them).

Luckily I have an assistant who will be helping with some of that.

PXL_20240126_030008043.MP.jpg

I don't have a much of a belly button any more. As I approach middle age all of the hair on top of my head has migrated to my stomach.

You are probably deburring just fine. Push cutting paper and shaving hair is not necessary to have a knife suitable for cutting veggies or slicing meat. In some ways, chasing that kind of sharpness is counterproductive for a food prep knife unless you are mostly just cutting chives or sashimi all day.
You're right, it works for most things I'm just OCD sometimes lol and always try to go for the sharpest edge

Do you have a video on how to thin a chef knife? Or a knife that doesn't have a shinogi line or any other bevels besides the cutting edge?

Back