Forgecraft Prices now officially crazy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so you are saying I was played for a sucker? Doesn't really surprise me with anything on the web. I've had a few little successes doing the same to others I won't go into here but is it scary what you can do if you try.

:razz:i suspected as much, I want the damascus eating set, for waiting so long.lol:spiteful:

Slick sight design, don't particularly care for the tone of their FAQ answers (and I'm not even that old!). I'll second that the knife design is clean an aesthetically nice, but the price is silly.

Does seem very expensive for a new knife to market. While the costs of setting up are high, seems like you'd want to price these so they would move quickly. Maybe they will move quickly...hope they cut as well as they look.

Obviously edited response...as to price, it compares to well known/respected makers and they may be a bit optimistic until people have tried them...market sets the price so maybe it's even under priced (what do I know?) but I wouldn't pay more than ~250 usd for an unknown quality knife by an unknown maker.

There, fixed that for you...

what's so unreasonable about 349 for a white 2 japanese made knife?? with a pretty nice handle?

besides the fact this has nothing to do with the original forgecraft company, other than them having the rights to use the name (so we have no way to infer quality by reputation)

When I first saw the knife I immediately thought Gesshin Kagekiyo. Looks to have the same grind, uses the same sanmai steels and the handle is a dead ringer for the lacquered version sold by Jon.

These guys are very clever to have registered a "dead" trademark - they may not have had to pay anything to do this other than PTO fees! MY hat is off to them.

But as far as I can tell what they are using it for is to sell a pretty standard, somewhat overpriced, white #2 san mai Japanese Gyuto - probably a pretty OK knife if it is made by a good Japanese maker as I am sure it will be. But it doesn't look like a forgie and isn't even monosteel.

Personally, I'm not going to buy one for my collection just because they engrave a great name on what seems like a standard knife!

These guys are very clever to have registered a "dead" trademark - they may not have had to pay anything to do this other than PTO fees! MY hat is off to them.

But as far as I can tell what they are using it for is to sell a pretty standard, somewhat overpriced, white #2 san mai Japanese Gyuto - probably a pretty OK knife if it is made by a good Japanese maker as I am sure it will be. But it doesn't look like a forgie and isn't even monosteel.

Personally, I'm not going to buy one for my collection just because they engrave a great name on what seems like a standard knife!
Yep, that's what I was thinking.

Although to be honest I gotta say I don't think the price is insane...

[edited out].. looks like they say the knife is made by dentou kogeishi. These guys are Canadian, in fact, a little town where I helped open up a chain restaurant...

Also the shape of these new forgecrafts looks so much like a moritaka ks its not funny.

When I first saw the knife I immediately thought Gesshin Kagekiyo. Looks to have the same grind, uses the same sanmai steels and the handle is a dead ringer for the lacquered version sold by Jon.

Good eye. They are made by the same smith, with a custom profile that matched the best 1950s Forgecraft we could find.

I don't think it is too much and it does look pretty good. So I ordered one. I will see how it works out and report back.

Being from the same maker as the Kagekiyo line the price on this seems very fair.

Also have to give you props on the savvy to register the trademark and the beautifully designed site. That being said it isn't a knife that is on the top of my list to acquire.

Looking forward to seeing reviews and also seeing more from you =)

menzaremba, maybe you should consider contributing as a vendor before announcing your new knife line here?

about-us-photo_1024x1024.jpg

Knife is very close to a knife made 100 years ago in Thiers, France. BTW, "Sabatier" isn't protected by copyright law, you should totally release a second line of knives called "Forgecraft: Sabatier Edition" and really watch the panties fly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which is very close to a knife made 100 years ago in Thiers, France. BTW, "Sabatier" isn't protected by copyright law, you should totally release a second line of knives called "Forgecraft: Sabatier Edition" and really watch the panties fly.

I'm neutral leaning negative on these 'Forgecrafts'. That being said if this knife is by the same maker as the Kagekiyo carried by JKI, Chubo, Buttermilk it is actually normally/fairly priced. Though personally from the choil shots these knives Kagekiyo look a bit thick behind the edge for my liking and I think there are better knives at the $350 range.

Side note different guys then Misen.

menzaremba, maybe you should consider contributing as a vendor before announcing your new knife line here?

Would have to agree, that this sounds like a good suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love how they use this place for marketing research and straight out product pushing. I'm sure you'll sell your knives but you're not doing so much for the reputation of the company's name you took. Just saying for that money you could've found a North American maker, done monosteel with or without the original cool pattern, step up as a vendor here. If you're the same guys with that last knife (misen) then go make your buck off the mainstream market.
Cheers

BTW, just curious if Jon's Kagekio maker was already known or if you talked to Jon before revealing this?

I think it's a pretty awesome idea, from a business standpoint, and truthfully, the knives are going to be top performers. They said pretty openly that they plan on doing an American made version soon/when they find a maker to do so.

They didn't call themselves knifemakers, but rather said they started a knife company. Just sayin'.

I think these are great looking knives. You have my vote, so long as you continue and try to keep the history/reputation in mind. Well done, guys.

Ugh, this thread makes me feel dirty. More power to you guys for riding the coattails of a historic knifemaking company, but it definitely sours me on the product. But then again I doubt people on this forum are really the target market.

I wondered why the Forgecraft Crazy Price thread hit six pages. I see now.

Oh sweet mother of God. Aren't these the same hipster toolbags who designed the Misen knives? How in the **** did this industry get infiltrated by so many Instagram knuckleheads? Pro Tip: sharpening a knife will ruin your manicure, boys, but congrats on co-opting a name, leasing a knife design, and calling yourselves a "knife company."

You're doing us proud, really.

Edit -

Which is very close to a knife made 100 years ago in Thiers, France. BTW, "Sabatier" isn't protected by copyright law, you should totally release a second line of knives called "Forgecraft: Sabatier Edition" and really watch the panties fly.

Really working that hard-crush, Loca! A proper crush always make me all warm and fuzzy.

I redacted that comment and will remove myself from the thread; I said my piece, anything more is just bullying. Good luck with your "knife company."

Lets back the truck up. I'm going to shut this down - at least temporarily.

Menz - You can call it informative, promoting, shilling, or pimping. Seems to me you've been here awhile asking "market research" type questions and been doing so under what's easily constued as false pretenses.

Time out.

Back