Forged Jam spoons!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Will,

Any updates on whether a tasting spoon project might be something you can work into your schedule?

I have them in my head, an all forged design drawn from round stainless bar... I had best have a go at making one.
I have a few questions on a tasting spoon. Spoon size, dessert spoon size or smaller or larger? The Stem... I had in mind a longish stem with a slight curve, any particular length or curvature most suited to scooping into pans for a taste?
Cheers
Will

Here are my thoughts: Overall length ~10 inches, spoon size midway between a dessert spoon and a table spoon. Slight curve at base of handle.

That sounds good to me! I would say something under 1 tablespoon capacity, maybe closer to 1/2 tablespoon. Also I like a thicker narrower stem as opposed to a flatter thinner stem. Something like the stem in this picture (but smooth!)

hammer-forged-dinner-spoon.jpg

Excited!

Thanks Guys, I'll have a ponder and let you know what I come up with. :biggrin:

Will,
I see you caught the bug as well. Glad I'm not the only smith here that thinks spoons are worth making by hand.
Cool stuff indeed.
Del

Thanks Del they pose a nice little forging challenge, which is always fun, especially when trying to spread stainless with the fullers. thinking materials someone sent me a promotional pack for forging grade bronze recently. I will have to check the chemistry and see what we think, but may try and get a sample off them to see how it works and what it looks like forged and buffed. Any thoughts on bronze versions?

I would think they would like nice hanging on the wall, but not be pratical for food. Anything remotely acidic will react with the outer layer of the bronze. I suspect the result will be worse then with some of the very reactive carbon knives that discolor foods like onions and impart off odors/ flavors until you can get a stong patina built up (but a strong patina would not be desireable on a spoon). Most copper pots/ pans are lined with tin or stainless steel because of the copper reactivity, and bronze reacts similarly.

Yep that makes sense, looking at the bronze chemistry, there is trace lead and arsenic, does not sound appetizing :scared4: Stainless it is.

Just found this thread, don't know how I missed this for so long.
I'd also like 2. One for me, one for a friend.

Back