D. Martell Gallery - Hiromoto AS... Full Spa Treatment

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After seeing all these stunning transformations I feel that my old Hiromoto AS deserves a full spa. I'm looking at the mail order form and can't figure out what to choose.
Should I just mail the knife and pay the Paypal invoice afterwards?

After seeing all these stunning transformations I feel that my old Hiromoto AS deserves a full spa. I'm looking at the mail order form and can't figure out what to choose.
Should I just mail the knife and pay the Paypal invoice afterwards?

Hi Vils,
I'll shoot you a PM

Dave

We've got another Hiromoto AS gyuto back from it's trip through the full spa treatment! :eek:vg:

It's blade has been thinned, spine/choil rounded, & etched for effect. The handle has been converted from full tang western to hidden tang hybrid wa. The wood used is Ipe burl.

This knife gave me fits! From the wood (Ipe - never again!) to the etching, nothing went easy. In fact this Hiromoto took more than twice the amount of labor than the next worse one ever done. I can't say that I'm happy with the wood, its just not really that nice, but the blade finish I ended up with is the finest I've ever done on one of these knives. The scratch pattern is tight (running horizontal), is bright, and slick as snot....what else could you want? ;)

I hope that the owner has more fun using it than I did working on it! LOL Still I'm grateful for the work and the experience, I learned a new trick or two on this one.

What do you guys think?

P1010001.JPG

P1010003.JPG

P1010006.JPG

P1010008.JPG

P1010011.JPG

P1010012.JPG

P1010013.JPG

P1010014.JPG

P1010016.JPG

P1010023.JPG

I've got another Hiromoto AS freshly finished up from it's full spa treatment....

The handle wood is AZ Ironwood. This block is kind of unique from what I usually see. It gave off this really bright yellow dust that was so super fine it floated everywhere. The actual color of the wood is really orange though, with some gold. It worked very nicely and was easy to finish. Not a single hole/crack/anything to fill - the black dot seen on the top is 100% natural.

The pins used are all copper but the center pin is a mosaic with nickel silver inner pins.

I used my new technique to finish the blade and I like it a lot. It's a bit more labor intensive but the results are better than I had been doing so I guess I'll keep doing it this way.

What do you think?

P1010002.JPG

P1010003.JPG

P1010010.JPG

P1010012.JPG

P1010014.JPG

P1010016.JPG

P1010029.JPG

P1010030.JPG

I've got another Hiromoto AS freshly finished up from it's full spa treatment....

The handle wood is AZ Ironwood. This block is kind of unique from what I usually see. It gave off this really bright yellow dust that was so super fine it floated everywhere. The actual color of the wood is really orange though, with some gold. It worked very nicely and was easy to finish. Not a single hole/crack/anything to fill - the black dot seen on the top is 100% natural.

The pins used are all copper but the center pin is a mosaic with nickel silver inner pins.

I used my new technique to finish the blade and I like it a lot. It's a bit more labor intensive but the results are better than I had been doing so I guess I'll keep doing it this way.

What do you think?
Looks great Dave! That's some of the nicer AZ Ironwood I've seen. Makes me want a HiroMartell special now [emoji106] [emoji106]

Here's a Hiromoto AS gyuto that's been just run through the full spa treatment. :cool:

The core steel on this one was greatly off center and the cladding really hard in comparison to others and also unevenly ground making for a challenge to both thin and finish nicely. I think it came out OK in the end even, if not exactly as how I'd have wished it.

And who doesn't like ironwood? :)

Maybe the last we'll see go through this process, who knows....

P1010000.JPG
P1010010.JPG
P1010011.JPG
P1010014.JPG
P1010016.JPG
P1010023.JPG
P1010025.JPG
P1010028.JPG

I know this knife threw you some curveballs. I really appreciate your stick to it Dave, I couldn’t be happier. The knife looks bad ass! I’ll let you know how she does when she arrives home. Thanks again, I enjoyed working with you!

Last edited:
Apart from the splendid handle, especially the left face core pattern looks fantastic. Was the the cladding on the right one much fatter?

Hi Dave,

The knife arrived back here at the house today. I gotta tell you that the pictures are nice but in person the knife Just pops!. I looked it over and felt along the tang, the fit and finish is perfect, no gaps, no uneven surfaces, it’s beautiful. The core steel being off center never bothered me, to me it just adds character. The etch job and newly sharpened edge are 5 stars all the way, that bevel is consistent from heel to tip. I’ve done a few custom knife projects this year and this is one of my favorites. I know the knife wasn’t the easiest and I appreciate your extra efforts to do what you did, I hope you know it didn’t go unnoticed. Im really satisfied with this project! Thanks again for a job well done.

Last edited:
Hi Dave,

The knife arrived back here at the house today. I gotta tell you that the pictures are nice but in person the knife Just pops!. I looked it over and felt along the tang, the fit and finish is perfect, no gaps, no uneven surfaces, it’s beautiful. The core steel being off center never bothered me, to me it just adds character. The etch job and newly sharpened edge are 5 stars all the way, that bevel is consistent from heel to tip. I’ve done a few custom knife projects this year and this is one of my favorites. I know the knife wasn’t the easiest and I appreciate your extra efforts to do what you did, I hope you know it didn’t go unnoticed. I really happy really satisfied with this project! Thanks again for a job well done.

For me, this is what makes it all worth it! :)

Thank you so much for the work.

Regards,
Dave

Back