D. Martell Gallery- Martell Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is Ben's 240mm gyuto in premium ironwood burl (wood sourced from Stefan).

I chose smaller pinstock for this one and tapered the tang a lot although it doesn;t look very tapered once the scales were mounted. Maybe it requires a very radical tapering to show this feature off good. I did it more for balance than anything but still it would have been nice to show off this detail more.

So I took a lot longer on this knife than I wanted to but it was worth it I think. I spent a lot of time trying to nail down the blade finish and I think I've finally got the sequence worked out. The maker's mark suffered a bit in the process though but truthfully I don't think the mark came out that great even before I started playing with the finish. This shows that I'm very much still learning all of this stuff and how it takes a lot of practice to get good at something.

I hope you get a lot of good use out of it Ben. She ships tomorrow. :)

attachment.php

P1010017.jpg

p1010001.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010009.jpg

P1010004.jpg

p1010007.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010010.jpg

Looking good! The blade finish looks much better. Ben's going to be happy.

WOOOOOOT! Lookin' nice Dave. One small thing that I think would make it look even better though ... living in my Knife Block! :wink: That's once nice piece of Ironwood you picked out too!

This is going to be one heck of a fun package you're sending!

Thanks guys. :)

I'm glad you like it Ben and yeah you're getting one sweet box full of goodies coming your way. :cool2:

On pic #4 the taper of the tang show very nicely, I think!

That's a very handsome knife Dave! The new bolster set up and smaller pins are very complimentary and gives the knife a slick and clean look.

:thumbsup:

The blended grind looks great. It looks like a sweeping wave, rather than a blended bevel. I'd say the extra hours of polishing mania were well worth it.:D

So what comes after #5? What else but #10! :D

Here's Karring's gyuto in old growth redwood (scored from Stefan).

I did a bit more tang tapering on this one and when this and the lighter wood was used here it's a whole ounce less weight than all the others. This one weighs in at 7.5oz

PS - any little spots of dust are actually either rain drops or lint from my stupid paper towel I was using to wipe the rain drops away...grrrr!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

P1010012.jpg

p1010001.jpg

P1010026.jpg

P1010017.jpg

P1010025.jpg

P1010022.jpg

The finish is looking great! I like this one a lot.

That's a really nice looking knife. The redwood works well as well!

Thanks guys! :)

Karring, I hope you enjoy it and don't forget to give me an earful after you've used it a bit, good or bad - I'll take it.

Nice, I like the redwood one. Looks like you hit a small inclusion there, but that just adds character ;) So, should I keep my redwood and spalted wood or send it over? :)

Stefan

Stefan this is from that big block of old growth redwood that you got me months ago. Mr. Drinky has the other half reserved for another knife.

Spalteds from you I'll consider......redwoods are still iffy. :D

redwood.JPG

Dave, those are looking awesome! Really great job on those! I might have to get one here soon....But ill make you use spalted and redwood :p hahaha j/k. Real nice job! Hope you make it to Ashokan, would love to meet you in person!

Mike

Thanks guys! :)

Karring, I hope you enjoy it and don't forget to give me an earful after you've used it a bit, good or bad - I'll take it.

I just got the knife today and it looks amazing. The handle looks better than in the pictures, and even though I have only tested it out on some potatoes, it feels so so good in the hands. I love the profile and weight.

One question: I didn't notice the mirror finish at first. Is this the same finish you have been putting on all the knives?

I'm heading back overseas for a week on Saturday, so you will have to wait for better feedback at a later date.

k.

I just got the knife today and it looks amazing. The handle looks better than in the pictures, and even though I have only tested it out on some potatoes, it feels so so good in the hands. I love the profile and weight.

One question: I didn't notice the mirror finish at first. Is this the same finish you have been putting on all the knives?

I'm heading back overseas for a week on Saturday, so you will have to wait for better feedback at a later date.

k.

Hi Karring,
It's great to hear that it arrived safe and even better that the first impression is good.

The finish isn't what I'd call mirror since it's got visible scratches, maybe it could be called shiny? Anyway, the finish is close to what the others had with only small variations between each. It's a work in progress I guess.

Well I hope you have a good trip and I'll just sit here stewing until you get back. LOL :D

Dave

Yeah, not exactly a mirror but in your photos you can see the reflection of the ceiling. Maybe we should have a thread on what is mirror (seeing oneself or scratchless) ;)

attachment.php

k.

Here's my most challenging one done so far....John's suji with spalted hackberry scales. I hope you like it John. :)

attachment.php

P1010012.jpg

P1010010.jpg

P1010020.jpg

P1010019.jpg

P1010009.jpg

That is effen (not the vodka) beautiful. Great work dave and beautiful handle. The spalting and the black liner work great together. Fine job.

k.

Back