Gesshin Heiji or Kato Work Horse

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this thread is about Gesshin Heiji, but would you recommend getting one direct? Can't be that different, you're cutting out the middle-man, and it's cheaper I believe, right?

I initially typed something rude about this and then deleted it. If that's how you do business go for it.

Also, I will just say that I owned both knives. I sold both knives. I am purchasing a semi stainless heiji very soon. Both are good knives though.

-Chuck

AFAIK Gesshin Heiji is a made to Jon specs and is thinner and has better F&F on average.

AFAIK Gesshin Heiji is a made to Jon specs and is thinner and has better F&F on average.

yep. different handles, too: the Gesshin knives have burnt chestnut, whereas my carbon, from Nakaya-san directly, has a a stabilized ho wood handle. They are both nice handles.

i think a lot of people assume well finished ho wood handles are stabilized.... almost all ho wood handles from japan are not stabilized... i cant think of very few exceptions (but there are some)

i think a lot of people assume well finished ho wood handles are stabilized.... almost all ho wood handles from japan are not stabilized... i cant think of very few exceptions (but there are some)

I've seen a quite a few of both, and I'm convinced that the one Nakaya shipped on my knife is stabilized, as there is just no change at all with prolonged, multiple wettings. It's also the same color, and has the same feel, as every stabilized ho wood handle I've used.

i think you'd be surprised... honestly, the VAST MAJORITY are not... but having a really nice finish makes a VERY big difference

i think you'd be surprised... honestly, the VAST MAJORITY are not... but having a really nice finish makes a VERY big difference

I bow to superior knowledge. Too bad I don't have access to a mass spectrometer anymore, though. :)

Looking at it more closely, the butt of the handle is showing a bit of grain, which I hadn't noticed until looking at it. The sides are as they were. I'd say you're right, Jon. I wonder if the other knives, advertised as being stabilized, were simply well finished? They were Konosukes.

not to take this too far off topic, but while we were still carrying konosuke, they asked if we thought stabilized handles would be good... initially, i didnt like the idea (or the sample they sent) because it didnt feel "alive" in hand, but i later realized that many people would appreciate the convenience more than miss the feeling, so we switched over with them. That was the only one.

The Gesshin also comes with a saya, whereas it does not appear that those obtained directly do.

The Gesshin also comes with a saya, whereas it does not appear that those obtained directly do.

You just have to pay a little extra. Between paying for the saya and shipping, there isn't a ton of price difference, really, between ordering direct and from Jon.

not to take this too far off topic, but while we were still carrying konosuke, they asked if we thought stabilized handles would be good... initially, i didnt like the idea (or the sample they sent) because it didnt feel "alive" in hand, but i later realized that many people would appreciate the convenience more than miss the feeling, so we switched over with them. That was the only one.

Good info.

It's a little old topic, but to not create a new one.
Is Kato = Yoshiaki Fujiwara or it's something different?

I clicked on this and had to do a double take before I saw the date. What car should I ask for, a honda (ok acura) or Lamborghini.

Love and use them both. Of the two, I'll usually favor the Kato's profile and grind, which is more versatile for how I cook—the machi a major plus. That said, I regularly grab the Heiji, good knife for sure, very special steel.

F9AE66A1-88A0-4117-AF98-17E0A7CA93BA.jpeg

That OG iron cladding reactivity drives me crazy. With western ingredients it's a non starter any more. Rust, pitting, discolored ingredients that pick up off flavors. No thanks.

For some reason this wrought iron I'm trying doesn't have that issue. Is this others' experience as well?

That OG iron cladding reactivity drives me crazy. With western ingredients it's a non starter any more. Rust, pitting, discolored ingredients that pick up off flavors. No thanks.

For some reason this wrought iron I'm trying doesn't have that issue. Is this others' experience as well?
Yes wrought iron tends to be less reactive than plain soft iron.

are you referring to the heiji carbons? Did not know that they use wrought iron cladding. Nakaya heij’s website refers to the cladding as “very soft steel”

Back