Japanese Knives Gesshin Stone Passaround Sign up and Organization thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jon - (tried to call but your store is closed for a few days) I am checking to see if there are any folks in the Twin Cities that will join in - failing that, depending on shipping cost, I am thinking of catching the stones as they move between the west coast and Chicago just for myself. If I do get positioned so I ship to Chicago from Twin Cities, is that the shipping cost I pay? Are there any additional charges or deposit you need?

If there is hesitation for a stop over just for one amateur, I completely understand.

I am in New Jersey right outside if NYC. I would live to partisicapte if anyone else in the area is interested.

Jon - Thanks for letting the ECG have em. Got a chance to try a few of them out, deciding between the 6000/1000 combo, and the 6000 and 1000 diamond stones set. I'll PM you with some other questions, but just wanted to say thanks in this thread.

Jon - Thanks for letting the ECG have em. Got a chance to try a few of them out, deciding between the 6000/1000 combo, and the 6000 and 1000 diamond stones set. I'll PM you with some other questions, but just wanted to say thanks in this thread.

my pleasure... glad you guys had fun. I heard that it was difficult to know what was splash and go and what was soaking, so i'm gonna post a list here shortly.

Here's a breakdown of how stones should be used/cared for:

1. JKI Diamond 1000- Splash and go... soaking is ok, but does nothing to help or hurt the stone
  2. JKI Diamond 6000- Splash and go... soaking is ok, but does nothing to help or hurt the stone
  3. Gesshin 1000/6000 Combo- Soaking stone... 10-15 minutes or until bubbles stop coming out
  4. Gesshin 1200 Splash and Go- Splash and go resinoid stone... works better with a short soak or permasoak, but drying slowly is EXTREMELY important... dry in a cool, dry location, away from direct sunlight... wrap with a damp towel when drying to slow down the drying process and help prevent stone cracking
  5. Gesshin 1500 Splash and Go- Splash and Go only... DO NOT SOAK
  6. Gesshin 2000-Soaking stone... 10-15 minutes or until bubbles stop coming out
  7. Gesshin 220- Soaking stone... 10-15 minutes or until bubbles stop coming out (may need frequent splashing)
  8. Gesshin 3000 Splash and Go- Splash and Go only... DO NOT SOAK
  9. Gesshin 320 Splash and Go- Splash and Go only... DO NOT SOAK
  10. Gesshin 400- Soaking stone... 10-15 minutes or until bubbles stop coming out
  11. Gesshin 4000- Soaking stone... 10-15 minutes or until bubbles stop coming out
  12. Gesshin 400s- Soaking stone... 10-15 minutes or until bubbles stop coming out
  13. Gesshin 600 Splash and Go- Splash and go resinoid stone... works better with a short soak or permasoak, but drying slowly is EXTREMELY important... dry in a cool, dry location, away from direct sunlight... wrap with a damp towel when drying to slow down the drying process and help prevent stone cracking
  14. Gesshin 6000 Splash and Go- Splash and go resinoid stone... works better with a short soak or permasoak, but drying slowly is EXTREMELY important... dry in a cool, dry location, away from direct sunlight... wrap with a damp towel when drying to slow down the drying process and help prevent stone cracking
  15. Gesshin 6000s- Soaking stone... 10-15 minutes or until bubbles stop coming out
  16. Gesshin 8000- Soaking stone... 10-15 minutes or until bubbles stop coming out
  17. Gesshin Jinzo Aoto- Soaking stone... 10-15 minutes or until bubbles stop coming out
  18. Gesshin Synthetic Natural- Splash and go resinoid stone... works better with a short soak or permasoak, but drying slowly is EXTREMELY important... dry in a cool, dry location, away from direct sunlight... wrap with a damp towel when drying to slow down the drying process and help prevent stone cracking

That summary would be awesome to have on your website somewhere to help buyers compare the stones if they are interested in those things. Say if someone was looking for a quick splash and go stone for a busy work environment they could right away focus in on which stones to look at without opening up every stone to find out.

That summary would be awesome to have on your website somewhere to help buyers compare the stones if they are interested in those things. Say if someone was looking for a quick splash and go stone for a busy work environment they could right away focus in on which stones to look at without opening up every stone to find out.

i thought about this, but didnt know where i could put this that would be easy for everyone to see, but still not be annoying for everyone. Thats why we have this kind of info on each product page. We're thinking about adding this kind of info to each stone box though... maybe with a little sticker or something.

Fair point, didn't really think about location, just that the info would be helpful in comparing stones.

The info on the boxes would be really helpful as well so that when you got your stone you had a little reminder about how to best use it. Granted a buyer could always look at your website but it's faster and easier to just have it right on the box plus people might pay more attention to it that way.

The 1000 / 6000 diamond stones would be my choice.

David has them except for one stone that a member borrowed (I have his contact info). Sorry for the delay, the #### has hit the fan workwise.

no stress... i thought it might be a good time to send them to chicago, so if you guys have a chance to get them together over the next few days (or over the next week), just shoot me a PM when you're ready to get them passed along down the road. Sound good?

Hey Jon,

I've got the last stone. I'm working with David and Bill to get it dropped off this weekend.

-Dan

cool... no rush or anything. Which stone did you decide to play around with a bit more?

cool... no rush or anything. Which stone did you decide to play around with a bit more?

Howdy Jon,

I kept the 1000/6000 combo. I had a single bevel yanigba I wanted to try and sharpen, as well as my Gessin Ginga, and didn't want to bogart the sharpening area.

Dropping stone off with group tomorrow! Thanks.

Cheers,
Dan

Hi,

I was just checking out this thread and notice these might be coming to chicago. Just wondering if it's made it here yet. Would like to stop by brightwok and check them out.

Thanks

It's been a while since I've seen anything on this, Is this still on?

it ended a long time ago... very little engagement from members, so we called it a day. I really thought people would be more interested in having a chance to try every single stone we carry, but i guess i was wrong :(

That's too bad. Thanks for trying - sounded like a really cool/unique way to check out the stones and meet some fellow knifenuts. I'll have to schedule any long layover next time through LAX.

This is strange. I had the impression that there was quite a list of interestees and locations where the stones would have been trasported so that people can get some hands-on. I just realized that there were no news on this passaround in the past few months.

I saw this when it came around but didn't have much of a post count at the time. I imagine shipping would be a little high due to the weight and insurance.

Back