Glestain gyuto passaround... Lefties only

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 14590View attachment 14591View attachment 14592View attachment 14593View attachment 14594View attachment 14595
I was very pleasantly surprised. Felt like the weight of an 8 in German Chef knife. I tried a few different things and compared it to a pretty diverse group of knives. Not the sharpest knife but virtually nothing sticks. Nothing like it. No wedging anywhere near the tip, just off the heel. After I removed a few micro chips and touched up the edge as per K-Fed's suggestion, the knife took on a whole new personality. I don't know how long the edge will hold up, but it's very sharp.

photo(7).JPGphoto(8).JPGphoto(1).JPGphoto(2).JPGphoto(3).JPG

Knife is en route to Igasho (Josh) in British Columbia. Very nice.

Attachments

• photo(6).JPG
    photo(6).JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 177
nice shots...and dinner! Is that a Gengetsu above the Glestain in the carving pic?

That's a Yoshikane. I pulled out a bunch of knives to compare the edges ,release and wedging before and after sharpening. The scimitars are project knives to re handle. My kids love pot roast. The briskets were supposed to be for some pastrami to cure but I got out voted. Maybe this weekend we'll start again.

I will be contacting Canada Customs, they are trying to charge me over $87 in customs fee's, worst case scenario they will be marked return to sender and will be coming back your way. I have never been hit with customs for something like this before I will be calling them tomorrow on my lunch break.

Sorry guys I just can't afford $87 in customs and then shipping costs to next person to just try out a super awesome knife, might be different if I was buying it and I got a really good price on it. Even then I have hard time paying customs fee's to the greedy government.

*edit*
Oh when I saw the package it had been ripped open by customs and had yellow customs tape ALL over it, I hope those heavy handed bastards didn't damage the blade.

This is the proper place for this post

It appears this knife is held up at Customs according to Igasho. It may be coming back to me. Hopefully, Igasho can resolve it. FYI K-Fed, I fully insured it. Over $40 to ship to Igasho from NY. So sorry.

It appears this knife is held up at Customs according to Igasho. It may be coming back to me. Hopefully, Igasho can resolve it. FYI K-Fed, I fully insured it. Over $40 to ship to Igasho from NY. So sorry.

No worries. I've got a feeling the knife I sent back to Pierre to get fixed is probably hung up in customs as well.

I'll pull the shipping paperwork on Monday in case we don't hear anything.

OK here is the story. Customs has it and wants $84.84, they will not budge on it. So I will have it returned to sender. However moving forward they have given me the loophole for shipping things to Canada duty free. Insure it however you want up to or above the full value, but on the customs form put no more than $59.99 as the value and always only mark the gift box. if any other boxes are marked they will search it. I am sorry I ruined this pass around for a couple weeks.

I was told by my local post office that it was a problem insuring it for one value and declaring another value on the customs form. Curious if anyone has a different experience.

I have had one passaround come up to me that was insured for full amount and customs form was much less, I purchased one knife from japan and it came same way. I however dont know if its an issue if anything happens to the knife, but I imagine it shouldnt matter so long as the insurance is high enough to cover the value of the knife.

I really apologize again guys, this is definately pie in my eye :/

heh...that made me think of this...
[video=youtube;69O4PXzAQ5Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69O4PXzAQ5Y[/video]

perhaps not quite the emotion you have for Canadian Customs right now though :)

suprise.png

I really shouldn't be surprised Can I blame customs for this too? :spiteful: I will anyways :nunchucks:

Oh , that kind of pie. World class pizza in Ct.

I really shouldn't be surprised Can I blame customs for this too? :spiteful: I will anyways :nunchucks:

The irony of that is kinda painful. It was supposed to be Dean Martin's Amore.

Just received the knife. first OOTB impressions are positive. This knife is much lighter than I figured it would be. Its also a little shorter at the heel than i imagined. It has a great edge already, and I'm impressed with the lefty thinning job. Can't wait to use it at work tomorrow.

Just received the knife. first OOTB impressions are positive. This knife is much lighter than I figured it would be. Its also a little shorter at the heel than i imagined. It has a great edge already, and I'm impressed with the lefty thinning job. Can't wait to use it at work tomorrow.

I've thinned/ sharpened it quite a bit over the last few years as it was my go to for a long time. I'm sure it was at least a couple mm taller when it was new.

The way you set it up, it was super easy to sharpen. I thought this knife was so much more than the steel it was made from. I can understand how it was your everyday user. What do you use now?

I don't know that I really have a go to. It kind of rotates between my dt itk, suisin IH, martell rehandled misono and a kikuichi tkc depending on what mood I'm in.

I used the Glestain this week at work for prep mainly and it saw a little action on the line too. first off, it was a much smaller and lighter knife than i imagined it would be. according to JCKs website the 240 weighs around 270 grams...it certainly didnt feel that heavy to me, but ive been using alot of cleavers lately so maybe im getting more comfortable with bulkier blades...in any event it didnt feel bulky at all, it was quite nimble all around. JCKs site also says the height at the heel is 49 out of the factory, KFED already ackowledged that he probably lost a couple mm off the heel and since im used to much taller gyutos(55-53mm tall 270mm lengths) i had to go through an adjustment period with the glestain, basically a full shift of work before i really became comfortable with it. let me just say first of all, that im a 100% percent carbon guy with exception of a couple of minor forschners and a petty knife. ive become quite used to touching up my edges daily so with this knife considering its smaller size and its stainless steel and its bolster were all things i dont usually prefer. thanks to KFEDs lefty thinning job and the edge retention of the blade itself, i have new found interest in stainless. i used this knife for 4-5 days or about 8 shifts at work and i didnt need to touch it up once. to put that into perspective the edge retention was around 5 times better atleast than several of the hitachi steels, vintage sab steel and a few other carbons i use regularly....not only that but the edge it held was very keen.
The second thing that really impressed me was the food release. as the blade fell through food, the food would lay motionless on the cutting board as if the knife had never touched it in the first place. this might not sound like a big deal but when youre doing very repetitive tasks like cutting gallons of stirfry veggies(peppers, onions, mushrooms) the excellent food release helps you finish the job quicker because youre not constantly cleaning food off your blade and the food isnt really moving on the board so much as you cut, which allows you to focus more on making consistent cuts.
Im not too crazy about the end cap or whatever and i think overall the knife is a little too stylized for my tastes. But that didnt bother much of the shun crowd that i work with to take notice. usually i work with something that has a ho wood or sab handle and this glestain impressed them visually much more lol. Unfortunately, aesthetics are pretty important to me(i suppose im more of a traditionalist) and i just couldnt get over the handle end cap, the blocky bolster and the dimples. So i guess that makes me a vain person, but atleast im honest right?
The bottom line is that the knife was a treat to use, and my only regret is not sharpening it once because it didnt require it. thanks again kfed.

Dammit...now I'm interested in Glestains again.

LOL. It's about time Glestain gets some love around here.

It would get a lot of use in my kitchen . The whole is more than the sum of the parts.

if it isnt too off topic, im curious if anybody has experience with a glestain suji? i can only imagine how great food release would effect large roast and other cooked meats.

Used it for about a week now and I have to say that the food release never ceases to amaze me. I was cutting tons of fruit to make a big batch of sangria this past weekend and everything I cut just stayed right on the cutting board -- i just love that. It wasn't super sharp when I received it, and I didn't want to sharpen it for fear of messing it up, so I just put it to my leather strop a few licks and surprisingly it was almost back to full sharpiness. I'm curious to how the knife would feel in it's original condition, before the thinning, but I did think the blade thinness was very nice. The one ding I have is the look and feel of the handle -- as is common with Glestains -- just felt too chunky with all the hard lines and angles and a tad on the heavy side. This made the knife feel out of balance to me, which might have been compounded slightly by the thinning job. Anyway, just my personal thoughts...

Thanks for the opportunity to try this knife!!!

Back